iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pitch / Sap removal tip for my fellow sawyers

Started by golddredger, September 02, 2014, 04:08:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golddredger

Good afternoon. Thought I would share a tip that was told to me when I was a kid sawing digger pine for fire wood with my dad. The old timer logger told me to use mayonnaise to get the pitch off. When I got home I tried it and it works a treat! Over the years I have found that Best Foods mayo works best. I been milling pine the last few weeks and even with gloves I some how get it on my hands and arms. The mayo goes on straight from the jar rub it in. Makes a stinky smell but breaks the pitch sap down in a flash. So I thought I would share this tip as it was shared with me 30 years ago and I still use it today. Good milling to all!
Home built bandsaw mill and trailer for a mini logging operation. Lots of chainsaws and love the woods.

GAmillworker

Thanks for the tip.

Maybe now I can at least like mayo for a hand cleaner.
Thank the Lord for second chances

kelLOGg

Quote from: GAmillworker on September 02, 2014, 05:11:59 PM
Thanks for the tip.

Maybe now I can at least like mayo for a hand cleaner.

That's the best use for it I can think of. (not a fan of eating mayo)
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

backwoods sawyer

That is because you have not been putting on Grits ;D

Heard about Mayo a long time ago as well :P

Grits and Mayo hand cleaner ::)
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

kelLOGg

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on September 02, 2014, 11:06:24 PM
That is because you have not been putting on Grits ;D

Heard about Mayo a long time ago as well :P

Grits and Mayo hand cleaner ::)

:D :D :D :D :D  That's a southerner's version of Lava soap. Great idea. It would sell all over the south. ;D
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

terrifictimbersllc

You're going to have possums in your sawdust.  Might as well cook them up too.  :)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

4x4American

Thanks for the tip!  Now I can stop using gasoline...
Boy, back in my day..

golddredger

Give it a try I promise you guys will be amazed. Just rub it in. I use my fingernail and it takes it right off after just a few mooments with mayo on it. Happy milling!
Home built bandsaw mill and trailer for a mini logging operation. Lots of chainsaws and love the woods.

ST Ranch

Butter actually works as well, probably a bit more pricy and not as smelly.
Tom
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Forget the hands.  Slice and fry the grits and all that you need is bread and you will have a sammich.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Delawhere Jack

But what if you've got just enough mayo to either put some on a BLT sandwich or clean your hands........ :o

I'm going with eating the BLT with dirty paws. Y'all can kiss my grits. ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I've ordered 5 gallons for my lube tank. Pure Mayo when sawing Long Leaf Pine.  :o
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

junkyard warrior

Quote from: ST Ranch on September 03, 2014, 06:57:06 PM
Butter actually works as well, probably a bit more pricy and not as smelly.
Tom

side note.....butter also works for roofing tar
hey willbur and orville.......that will never work

woodweasel

Heck bring some bologna and a loaf of bread & there you are 8)

DMcCoy

I will have to try it.  I always use WD40 to cut the pitch and then gojo to remover the WD.

UpInATree

Being a tree climber I get my hands and arms smothered in pitch sometimes.  I have found that 91% Isopropal Rubbing Alcohol is my miracle cure.  I buy it at CVS in the quart bottles and just drizzle it onto my arms when I get down from a pine tree.  Rub and wipe off with a towel or rag.  The alcohol cuts right through the pitch, then it evaporates off your skin without any smelly residue to clean off!  BONUS...if you are working near poison ivy, it takes all that poison oil off your skin too.  When I have to climb trees with poison ivy vines, I wash my arms and face right after I get down and I don't get any more rashes from it.

Remember the 91%....not the 70% strength....works great.  I hate mayonaise
Wood-mizer LT70HD D55 Wireless, Wood-Mizer ED-26, A whole bunch of Stihls. Alaskan Mill 74",  Bucket Truck, Log Truck, Chippers, trailers, dump trucks,   Kubota M9540, L3010D and B7510. Cord King.   Learning Timberframing under Jim Rogers

gimpy

Or you can put 2 tablespoons of Dawn soap and half a cup of Pine-Sol in your water bottle and it keeps the problem from occurring. Just a thought to save the Mayo for those BLTs.

Use the (91%) alcohol on my hands.
Gimpy old man
Lucky to have a great wife
John Deere 210LE tractor w/Gannon Box

Barney II

I have always used lacquer thinner to remove pitch-------you don't suppose that lacquer thinner is in mayo  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :P :P
Ya never know
Woodmizer  1985 lt30

goose63

Whats amatter wit mao and GRITS? I likes em both
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

fstedy

I run pinesol and water but you still get patches of resin and sawdust buildup on the blade ( cut a lot of pitch pine around here very resinous ). When that happens just idle the blade and hold a knife on the blade to clean it off. The knife I use is made from a edge sharpened piece of old sawblade with a handle taped on it.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Chuck White

I do that once in a while too fstedy, just make sure the blade is slow, but mainly just be careful.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

golddredger

Not sure how this thread got off track but he the mayo tip is to clean pitch off your hands and arms. NOT your mill or blade as lube. Pretty ovious I thought in my first post. Just read some (Admin language edit) comments in another thread about using mayo for sawing.... Last time I share a tip here. Did I take it personal......? Yes  :o

beenthere

That's a tough one if you took it personal.  cheers

And if it is a good tip, then in time others will try it when they have the need and have a jar of mayo handy.
Probably will be done on the sly until it proves to work, and they will tout it to others as a good tip.

In the interim, we just havin some fun.   8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!