iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cedar Porch

Started by sawwood, September 17, 2014, 08:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawwood

I am planning some cedar lumber for a customer that he is going to use for his porch
deck. The porch is 21 foot long and 7 foot wide. The lumber is 8 foot long and he is
going to place them parallel to the house. That means that the lumber will be butted
end to end to make the 21 foot length. How would be the best way to attach the end
to ends ? Will just butting them or would some type of joint be better ? The lumber is
1 5/8 thick and diff widths and 8 foot long. The cedar is air dry for couple of years but
was wet when he brought them to me. I sticker them and had a fan on them for 2 weeks. The are down to 12 or 14 percent so should be ok for out door use. Larry what
type of sealer did you use on your cedar porch and where did you get it ?

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Instead of flat butting them.....I would probably 45° them.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Larry

I just butted all the ends.  Never have put any finish on the deck but you have to remember I have a roof over it.  The wood still looks almost new but I may put a finish on it at some point.  The cedar wall and ceiling got a mix of BLO, MS, and spar varnish.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

jueston

doing a 45° on the end and always butting them together over a joist will make them stay in there place unless something really wants to move...

hackberry jake

Sometimes I really want to move  taz-smiley
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Compensation

I always butted the ends, I might try the 45° next go around. I like Cabot Australian timber oil that I get from Lowes. But that's pine, you have the good stuff.

One other thing you already know, offset the butt joints. The last guy I talked to about decks I assumed knew that but to my surprise all the butt joints were on the same joist.

Can we see a picture of it finished? Its going to look great!
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

sawwood

Now I have a new question about the porch. The owner wants to put cedar on the
cca stringers so it looks all the same. What type of glue would work best to glue to
do that. I thought about a two part epoxy  or that gorilla glue. This job has turn into
a long job for the carpenter and me.

Sawwood 
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

tule peak timber

Sawwood, Polyurethane would be the better choice for several reasons. Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Thank You Sponsors!