iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Table saw kickback video.

Started by hackberry jake, September 29, 2014, 09:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

http://youtu.be/u7sRrC2Jpp4

I saw this video on hackaday.com and thought I would share. It isn't a new video but I hadn't seen it before so I figured I would share it with you guys. Pretty scary.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

I have been there before, but I ain't going back  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

samandothers

Makes me cringe!   So much can happen so quick!

wildbill

This video is one off the reasons i upgraded my table saw.  (and the dent in my camper door).  I kept telling the old lady i wanted a table saw with a riving knife. 
Raider Bill's favorite son

LaneC

Thanks for sharing that. That guy is very lucky.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Dave Shepard

:o :o :o

I use long push sticks at the tables saw. I might have to start using really long push sticks. I wonder if I can control the block of wood through a window in the garage. :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

jueston

i watched that 3 or 4 times just to see how close his hand was to that blade. he was prepared for the kickback and he nearly lost a finger, we won't be prepared for it when it happens to us.

that's why i got a sawstop, the table saw scares the heck out of me.... :-\

goose63

Think I am gonna give my table saw away
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

beenthere

I made an insert for my table saw that acts like a splitter and will not let the piece twist and ride up over the blade.

I think all tools can be dangerous, and all need their due respect. Doing the wrong thing can, and sometimes will, cause bodily harm.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

hackberry jake

I have seen jigs built to slide in the track and hold smaller pieces with those toggle clamp things. I need to build one of those... I had a kickback a while ago using a long pushstick. My hand didnt get near the blade but it probably about broke my arm with the force. It wouldve been bad to get it to the eye... I got a feeling safety glasses wont stop a 1x1 maple pushstick running close to 100mph.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Dave Shepard

I think using those jointer pads was a mistake. If you use a push stick, the workpiece can pretty much do what it wants in this situation. With those pads, his hand was much closer to the blade, and when the workpiece took off, the pad on the bottom worked almost like an adhesive, pulling his hand towards the blade. I'm sure he realizes that now. I use two push sticks, one with a notch to actually push with, and another to hold the workpiece against the fence after it has passed the blade. I've always tried to work wood in as large a piece as possible. This allows you to keep your favorite body parts away from the blade, and a large chunk of wood is much easier to control.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ljohnsaw

+1  I agree, the pads were a mistake.  You have to push down on them as well as forward.  If the wood is suddenly gone, you're still pushing down into the blade!  I NEVER push in a way that my body parts would go toward the blade.  I'm back with my arms almost fully extended so that if I was to push through the wood, I wouldn't be near the blade, if that makes sense...
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

sawguy21

I got queasy watching that. We had removed the guard because the thin rv cabinet material was getting jammed between it and the blade. I remember reaching for the end to pull it through, no out feed roller, and WHAP!!! Lost the tip of a finger. 
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!