iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Reciever Hitch Winch Mount

Started by FarmingSawyer, October 01, 2014, 10:26:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FarmingSawyer

I may have a job milling 2000bf red oak in three logs from one tree. Only problem is owner wants me to get tree out of ditch....and I can't mill the logs at the site....

So it looks like I'm going to have to winch logs onto trailer and the. Haul home. We won't go into the fact that my trailer isnt up to the task.

I have a 9500lb superwinch I got for parbuckling logs onto the mill. This new circumstance alters how I'm going to mount it as I need to be able to switch it from the mill to the truck.

I'm thinking of putting it on a 2" hitch with a 1/4"
Plate to hold the winch and the roller. Only problem is that to put it into the mill hitch spot the winch needs to be in one direction and on the truck it needs to face the other way.

Anything wrong with bolting the plate to the hitch and swiveling it when needed?

Anyone have photos of what they've done? 
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

backwoods sawyer

My winch was mounted on a 1/4" plate, the plate now has a nice 2" bow to it and is bolted in four places, go heavier if you are going with a swivel base.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Nomad

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on October 01, 2014, 11:15:04 AM
My winch was mounted on a 1/4" plate, the plate now has a nice 2" bow to it and is bolted in four places, go heavier if you are going with a swivel base.

Yup.  What he said. :-[
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Delawhere Jack

Regarding winching logs from a ditch. If you're winching, but the logs not moving, look back at the truck from time to time. Sometimes the winch will move the truck instead of the log.  ::) Trust me.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on October 01, 2014, 06:26:32 PM
Regarding winching logs from a ditch. If you're winching, but the logs not moving, look back at the truck from time to time. Sometimes the winch will move the truck instead of the log.  ::) Trust me.
Regarding winching from the truck, period.  Block behind the truck wheel.  smiley_horserider smiley_horserider smiley_horserider
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

FarmingSawyer

It's assumed the truck is going to move.....try winching a firetruck out of a ditch on an Icy,  snowy evening with another firetruck while a house burns......Thought my head was gonna explode....and I didn't put the truck in the ditch.....

FarmingSawyer

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on October 01, 2014, 11:15:04 AM

Good advice, thanks! I think I will upgrade my ideas to a piece of channel or I.....

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on October 01, 2014, 06:35:52 PM
Regarding winching from the truck, period.  Block behind the truck wheel.  smiley_horserider smiley_horserider smiley_horserider

I did. But Ole Hee Haul (an 88' F250 4x4) was no match against the stubborness of a 26" x 16' black birch log.

backwoods sawyer

Thats when you chain up the other end to a tree. Using a hydraulic winch that would pull they will cone out of a deep creek. Just don't over load the winch, they don't like that ;D 
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

bandmiller2

FS, only a suggestion but it may be worth it to hire a logger with a truck and loader, rather than having to build something special and  burning out a winch or worse. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

FarmingSawyer

Quote from: bandmiller2 on October 01, 2014, 08:29:40 PM
FS, only a suggestion but it may be worth it to hire a logger with a truck and loader, rather than having to build something special and  burning out a winch or worse. Frank C.

I'm going to look at the job before I do/suggest anything...What I wouldn't give for our old 6x6 ex-army boom-truck right about now....it would yard a tree length Doug Fir out of the woods with a 1" cable....so nice. I won't be burning any winches out.....I've got lots of experience rigging in the woods and plenty of chains, sheeves and gear for reducing loads and changing angles.

I did stop by, last night, and viewed a hydraulic forwarder by the side of the road. Nice unit. No price on it. Unfortunately it requires a tractor's hydraulic system to power it, and the way it was balanced put a lot of weigh on the tongue. Too bad. If I could have licensed it and pulled it with the truck it might have been worth inquiring further....it would be the perfect mill/wood lot tool. I could also pull it with my team and a forecart.

If I had a decent trailer I'd just bring my tractor down there and pop that tree out....

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on October 01, 2014, 07:29:46 PM
Thats when you chain up the other end to a tree. Using a hydraulic winch that would pull they will cone out of a deep creek. Just don't over load the winch, they don't like that ;D
That's how my truck got so long! :D :D :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

MikeON

Here is one of my winches upside down to show the mount.  The larger tube attached to the winch base is a standard receiver tube from Tractor Supply.  The smaller tube slides into it and is standard ball mount tube.  The base is 1/4" with gussets.
The smaller tube can slide clear through to mount from either side. 

Woodmizer LT40HD Super.  WM Single Blade Edger,  John Deere 4310 tractor, M35A2C Deuce and a Half truck

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on October 02, 2014, 07:19:43 AM
Quote from: backwoods sawyer on October 01, 2014, 07:29:46 PM
That's how my truck got so long! :D :D :D

Sorta like a stretch limo...

:) :) :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

Herb

gimpy

Part of your problem is going to be angle. The mount is low. The tree is lower trying to get it up an incline while the tree is trying to dig in. Learn about the great benefits of snatch blocks, tree savers and clevis's. You can easily mount a snatch block high off the ground (3-6 feet might be enough) on a good size tree using a tree saver strap and lift the "front" of the log off the ground greatly reducing the pulling resistance. Plus, you won't stretch the truck. Snatch blocks and tree savers are cheaper than hiring a logger and will useful in the future for free.

Just a thought.
Gimpy old man
Lucky to have a great wife
John Deere 210LE tractor w/Gannon Box

FarmingSawyer

Quote from: MikeON on October 02, 2014, 07:51:35 AM
Here is one of my winches upside down to show the mount.  The larger tube attached to the winch base is a standard receiver tube from Tractor Supply.  The smaller tube slides into it and is standard ball mount tube.  The base is 1/4" with gussets.
The smaller tube can slide clear through to mount from either side. 

Mike, thanks! That looks like just what I need. I've picked up some parts on the way home and will make something like it.

Neal

stumpy

If you have the room, run the winch cable up high to a snatchblock attached to a tree then down the hill to the log.  That way your lifting up while pulling.  Also, when using a winch on a truck, keep the truck in neutral, parking brake on and block the wheels.  Otherwise you're pulling against the drive train.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Sixacresand

My first parbuckling deal used a home made hand crank winch.  It worked but was dangerous. I now have a  Badlands 12K winch from Harbor Frieght mounted on steel plate which is welded to a 2" stock that fits into a 2" receiver hitch.  I have hitch on the front of my trailer.  For Parbucking I run the cable through a snatch hook/pully mounted on the side.  The winch is portable to go on the trailer or truck.  I am planning on putting a receiver hitch on my log arch also. Only problem, the winch is heavy, which requires help/or lifting device to move. 
For a log in a ditch, try to get a chain over and under it and parbuck it out and onto the trailer.  Rolling a log uphill is better than dragging it.   
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

dgdrls

Quote from: Sixacresand on October 05, 2014, 12:08:04 AM
My first parbuckling deal used a home made hand crank winch.  It worked but was dangerous. I now have a  Badlands 12K winch from Harbor Frieght mounted on steel plate which is welded to a 2" stock that fits into a 2" receiver hitch.  I have hitch on the front of my trailer.  For Parbucking I run the cable through a snatch hook/pully mounted on the side.  The winch is portable to go on the trailer or truck.  I am planning on putting a receiver hitch on my log arch also. Only problem, the winch is heavy, which requires help/or lifting device to move. 
For a log in a ditch, try to get a chain over and under it and parbuck it out and onto the trailer.  Rolling a log uphill is better than dragging it.   

Very true, work with it, don't force it ;)

DGDrls

Thank You Sponsors!