iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

One of the problems

Started by Texas Ranger, October 08, 2014, 04:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

beenthere

Problem from early injury? or branch die-off? 

Any idea of age of this tree, size when cut, and if this is a butt log?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

21incher

I have seen carpenter ant damage in crotches in NY walnut that looks similar.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

hackberry jake

That looks like the pith of the tree. If Postonlt40 or WDH got a hold of it, they would stitch it all up with butterfly joints and epoxy the cracks and sell it for $300.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Texas Ranger

Been There, branch die off, second log, this is a "pith" cut, tree was 40 plus or minus, diameter at base around 20 inch, I only got the logs, no knowledge of the tree on site.  The walnut down here tends to be brashy, with a bit of splitting between growth rings. 

WDH

Brashy. 

Kinda like Texans  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

Yeah, we gotta be careful with that splitting between the growth rings.   smiley_monkeyfight smiley_monkeyfight

jueston

you can just pass that off as "character"....  ;)

mesquite buckeye

Arizona walnut is pretty, but moves around like eucalyptus. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Texas Ranger

Went to school in Missouri where walnut was walnut.  I think the southern grown stuff just does not have the type of wood the northern wood does.  Grows faster, that could be some of the difference.

mesquite buckeye

Ours are a different species, Juglans major.  I have seen 1" wide growth rings on the riparian trees.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Raider Bill

Missouri is in the North? ;D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

hackberry jake

Quote from: Raider Bill on October 09, 2014, 04:15:22 PM
Missouri is in the North? ;D
northern Missouri is in the North....
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

mesquite buckeye

Better not go there. :(  That argument has been going on since before the Civil War. :snowball: :snowball: :snowball:

WDH

I have not been there, but if you don't want me to go, then I won't. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mesquite buckeye

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on October 09, 2014, 08:09:34 PM
I have not been there, but if you don't want me to go, then I won't.

move_it  no_no
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Brad_bb

Yeah, I don't see how this is a problem.  This is character.  As someone said, after it's dried, fill it with epoxy.  You can even put artifacts in the epoxy.  That can make a piece very interesting.  I've done it a bit this year.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

mesquite buckeye

The Arizona walnut that I have cut could also contend in the pretzel board competition. That means you are either going to have to cut it thick or just use short narrow pieces when you make stuff. Not all that many people are willing to work like that. I do, but it isn't any fun. :(

Texas Ranger

I was from an area refered to as Little Dixie, couple of fellas named James were from there.  Anyway, we had seasons up there unlike our 2 or 3 days of winter down here, annual were more regular, and not near as much shake.  Sounder more solid wood, why a lot of it went to gun stocks.

Thank You Sponsors!