iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Taco circulator 101

Started by bandmiller2, October 25, 2014, 03:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

If you have any sort of hydronic heat chances are you got Taco's. The little wonders are basically three parts the cast iron body, the field wiring can and the cartridge. Its the cartridge that gives the problems, they are water lubricated, and after sitting over the summer the rotor will sometimes lock up. If you take the cart. out and warm it with a berns o matic torch, not too hot mind you, usally you can get the impeller turning and good as new. When you inspect your system feel the circulator and get used to the proper temp. and how it feels running. If its much hotter than normal its a sign the rotor is locked. Many thousands are replaced that could be saved but that's where the service man makes his money. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Holmes

Sometimes a smack with a hammer handle can get the pump moving it also can create leaks in old solder joints  ::)
Think like a farmer.

shinnlinger

How hot is too hot?   Do you need to drain down the system to disassemble?
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

bandmiller2

You use only as much heat as necessary usally a little hotter than you'd care to handle. When I built my outside furnace I put the circulators in the cellar with ball valves on each side. I can work on them and loose little water. If no shutoffs you will drain down the system to the level of the circulator. Frank C.

bandmiller2

Taco's are very easy to work on, grab a 5/16" nut driver and take off the four hex screws. You will have everything in your hand. The cartridge is the only thing that wears out but their hard to find and almost as expensive as the whole circulator. When I find the circulators in the junk pile I grab them most can be freed up and put back in service. Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!