iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big Sycamores

Started by Qweaver, November 16, 2014, 04:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I'm fixing to cut down and saw 2 big sycamores.  They look like about 40" dia.  I have to clear some brush to get close enough to measure.  I sure hope that I can pick these up and carry them to the WPF.  Almost impossible to setup the saw where they are.  A 40" x 8' should be less that 4000lb and I have done that much before.  Gonna build another shed on the farm come summer.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Alligator

Quote from: Qweaver on November 16, 2014, 04:42:11 PM
I'm fixing to cut down and saw 2 big sycamores.  They look like about 40" dia.  I have to clear some brush to get close enough to measure.  I sure hope that I can pick these up and carry them to the WPF.  Almost impossible to setup the saw where they are.  A 40" x 8' should be less that 4000lb and I have done that much before.  Gonna build another shed on the farm come summer.

Be careful sycamores that big / old tend to have hollow spots and overgrown hollow spots. They may come down funny. 
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

scsmith42

You really ought to QS those puppies!  QS Sycamore is spectacular.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

If you have an outlet to sell QS Sycamore.....I would do what SCSMITH42 said, QS those logs. You have money there.

If you don't have an outlet......let the Shed begin.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Qweaver

Quote from: scsmith42 on November 17, 2014, 04:05:14 PM
You really ought to QS those puppies!  QS Sycamore is spectacular.
I will QS them Steve.  It's easy to do with the Peterson and I think it makes more stable boards.  I did 2 36" logs this summer and they turned out great.
I'm trying to make a landing strip for my RC planes and I've got these two big plane catching sycamores in the way and I need to build a shed on the farm...so two birds with one stone.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

dboyt

Looking forward to photos of the process from logging to final build-- and maybe a photo or two of your planes.  Sycamore is not a particularly rot resistant wood, so keep it in the dry.  Also watch for spiral grain.  It can make the wood twist as it dries.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Thank You Sponsors!