iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CCF's?

Started by redprospector, November 16, 2014, 04:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redprospector

Anybody bid on US Forest Service timber sales?
I was looking at an invitation to bid on a sale. All of the volumes are in CCF's.
Ok, let me just go ahead and expose my ignorance...What is a CCF, and how many board feet are in a CCF? I've got the feeling this sale is a little bigger than I really want to tackle right now, but I'm not sure, and no one is at the FS to ask on Sunday.  :o
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Hundreds of cubic feet
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

redprospector

Thanks guy's,
WDH did an very good job of explaining in detail.
I should have used the search function...but in all honesty, it never occurred to me. Duh!
I had the basic idea I guess, but the saw kerf loss didn't occur to me until I read it. As I suspected this sale is a little too big for me at this time. I really don't need a million board feet right now.  ;)
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

ehp

Come on Andy go for it , you can do it

treeslayer2003

this is all pulp or chip wood?

redprospector

Quote from: ehp on November 17, 2014, 09:26:30 PM
Come on Andy go for it , you can do it

Haha. I know I could do it, but why?  :D
I figure that with the equipment I have, if I have all perfect days, no break downs, I could get it all off the mountain in a little over a year. But then it would take me 4 more years of perfect days to get it all milled. I'm not sure the logs would last that long.  :D

redprospector

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on November 17, 2014, 09:51:07 PM
this is all pulp or chip wood?
They quit sending out sample contracts unless you ask for one. But according to the 1 page letter (invitation to bid) that I got it's a mix of conifers, Douglas Fir, True Fir, Western White Pine, and a little bit of Ponderosa Pine. About 70% is supposed to be "saw logs" (12" DBH and over) and about 30% is pulp wood (9" to 11.9" DBH). Funny thing is, there isn't any pulp mills within 750 miles I bet.  :D That's ok though, there's no sawmills left around here either. The only mills around here are a bunch of us dummy's that refuse to find a new occupation. I don't think there is a circle saw among the whole bunch of us. We've all got portable band mills, just trying to keep the lifestyle we chose alive. And in the meantime the USDA Forest Service keeps putting out million board foot sales.  :D

Thank You Sponsors!