iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A debarker for the LT10

Started by rwachtell, December 16, 2014, 11:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rwachtell

I have been reading some interesting information about the Woodmizer LT10 on this web site.  After owning and using a LT10 for a couple of years now I have become more attached to it then my girlfriend. Regardless there are several modifications I have thought about making to my mill.   The one that comes to my mind the most is some kind of de-barker for the mill.  Seems like my mill or any small mill would benefit greatly from debarked logs.  None of the small mills seem to have de-barkers presumably because they don't have the extra horse power sitting around.   I've discovered that no matter how clean my logs are, blades seem to dull rather quickly in bark wood.    So my two questions are....

1) Has anybody ever contemplated putting a de-barker attachment on this mill or any small mill? 

2) Has anybody ever considered putting more then 10hp on this mill.  Say Harbor Freights 13 hp Predator engine? 

Thanks for any input.

Compensation

Yes and yes. Actually the same exact engine is sitting downstairs on top of its box with the muffler off. The exhaust will need redone to fit or I will have to put a extended shaft on it. That engine is really not that bad of an engine. I have another 420cc I been using.
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

AnthonyW

A while back, I asked about putting a debarker on an LT25 which is just about the largest mill that you can't get a debarker on. I was warned the up-down rig is not sturdy enough to support the weight of the electric motor hung from the opposite side of the head. There just isn't the support system in the headrig for the weight of the debarker motor and mount.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

dgdrls

When I had my LT-10 I manually debarked the logs, I don't think the frame on the 10
would like a debarker hanging from it.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,79623.0.html

A little more power may help with the occasional head shake or as I was told "Dog walk"
the unit will develop when sawing some of the harder species.  I always wanted to try
a 7 Deg band on mine but was told by WM they are not available for the 10.
With that said, as I recall you can get them (7 Deg bands) for the 10 you just have to order them.

Best DGDrls

pineywoods

Weight is just part of the problem. The real gotcha is where do you get the power for the de-barker motor. The electrical system on these small mills is no where near big enough to run a de-barker motor.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Brucer

Long before I had my mill there was another sawyer in the area with an LT40. When he went from mobile work to stationary work he decided to add a debarker that ran on 110V.

He took an old 5-1/2" skillsaw, bypassed the switch, cut away the handle, removed the moving guard, and took off the sole plate. Then he hung it on a spring loaded swinging arm that he could move in and out by hand. He left enough of the stationary guard in place to protect against a blade coming apart.

Because it was 110V instead of 12V, it was a much, much lighter unit.

I didn't see his blade but apparently he ground the tips of a carbide toothed blade so they had zero hook angle (a regular saw blade will cut into the wood and bog down).
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

47sawdust

Fella I know mounted a 4½'' grinder with a chainsaw carving wheel off the front of his mill.It also had a pivot arrangement to follow the contour of the log.
Personally,I think your better off doing the dirty work yourself.A wise old dear departed member once said'' millions of boards have been sawn without the aid of a debarker''.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

rwachtell

Quote from: Compensation on December 17, 2014, 12:49:11 AM
Yes and yes. Actually the same exact engine is sitting downstairs on top of its box with the muffler off. The exhaust will need redone to fit or I will have to put a extended shaft on it. That engine is really not that bad of an engine. I have another 420cc I been using.

Thanks Compensation ... could you let me know how well that runs your LT10, if and when you put it on? Have you been using the 10hp on it or the 7hp?

Thanks to all for the input about a de-barker for a LT10 or any small mill.  Some good help here for my imagination.  I have been visualizing support for a de-barker on such a small mill as the LT10 coming from a secondary set of posts that ride in front of the existing.  Perhaps as many as four posts or a duplication of the two post-tee existing rig for the head.  It would be detachable when not needed and stored up at the end of the track.    Obviously it would reduce maximum length of log cut while on the track.  I suppose it would attach to the existing head but would not receive majority of support from it.  Just enough to slide the cutter up and down with the movement of the head/band cut height.  Then it could be screw-clamped in place on the secondary carriage.  I suppose it might need some ballast/dead weight on top of it.  I also imagine it would need 110 volt power.  This might be a good reason to pre-run it independently of the saw and then store it at the end of the track.  Might take a little time, but last time I watched manual debarking it seemed to take a little more then a little more time.

Its all in my mind, I just need a good machinist.  By the time I get through with the cost I probably will have been able to buy a new LT70 :)  Might also have a de-barker that does not work.

Cheers to all

5quarter

Quote from: rwachtell on December 19, 2014, 10:05:03 PM
  By the time I get through with the cost I probably will have been able to buy a new LT70 :)  Might also have a de-barker that does not work...

True and true. or you may hit upon a simple debarker solution that all smaller mills could benefit from. Keep the wheels turning.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Compensation

Quote from: rwachtell on December 19, 2014, 10:05:03 PM
Thanks Compensation ... could you let me know how well that runs your LT10, if and when you put it on? Have you been using the 10hp on it or the 7hp?

I got the 7hp for two reasons. One was because I knew I was going to upgrade the engine over 10hp. Two, I despise b&s. I will let you know when I finish the swap. Might be this month or next spring.
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

Thank You Sponsors!