The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Contemplating making a wood furnace...  (Read 4152 times)

Offline Woodcutter_Mo

• Share Post
Contemplating making a wood furnace...
« on: January 01, 2015, 01:05:25 PM »
 Hello all, hope everyone had a safe new years  8).

I'm looking into getting a new indoor furnace. In fact like the title says, I wouldn't mind building one myself. This way it would be to my specs and it would just be a good project.

The idea is to base it off the HotBlast type forced air furnaces, but with deminsions to my spec.
If I go through with it, I'll have plenty of questions so thanks in advance for any help.

I'd like the fire box to be:
 Height- 28"-30"
 Width - 18-20"
 Depth- 30-32"+

I would probably use the doors from an old retired Ashley circulator type stove.

First, would 3/16" plate be plenty for the fire box?
 And for the flue, would it be best to pipe it directly out or would it be good to make a secondary chamber or some sort?
- WoodMizer LT25, Kohler, all manual, old "drag" style WoodMizer sharpener, cat claw single  setter
- Husqvarna 372XP X-Torque/24" bar, 455 Rancher X-Torque/20" bar, 550XP/20" bar, Stihl 024AV/18" Oregon speedcut
- Kioti DK45, '92 Dodge Cummins with Cannonball  bed, '07 Honda Rancher

Online thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
Re: Contemplating making a wood furnace...
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 02:31:33 PM »
I sure have no idea. But on my Heatmor the smoke goes up at the front of the firebox into a 4X8 inch chamber that goes the full lenght of the firewood and than out. I also have a water cool feed door. Good luck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 06:28:07 PM »
i have built a couple. i used 1/4" plate. first one had a smoke shelf in it. the other i used well casing. ran it almost to the door. and put the air intake in the door worked pretty good. also welded 1/4x2 flat bar on the outside on edge to help it heat and keep the firebox straight

Online Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 09:07:29 PM »
You should check with your insurance company first.  A home built furnace no matter how well built may not satisfy them.  A UL tag or similar certification may be required.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline Woodcutter_Mo

• Share Post
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 09:50:15 PM »
 That's a very good point about the insurance companies. I dont think the companies around here even like indoor wood stoves period. I'm not too worried about that part though. If something were to come up I could always convert it to an outdoor unit or something. 
- WoodMizer LT25, Kohler, all manual, old "drag" style WoodMizer sharpener, cat claw single  setter
- Husqvarna 372XP X-Torque/24" bar, 455 Rancher X-Torque/20" bar, 550XP/20" bar, Stihl 024AV/18" Oregon speedcut

Offline Woodcutter_Mo

• Share Post
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 12:32:55 PM »
i have built a couple. i used 1/4" plate. first one had a smoke shelf in it. the other i used well casing. ran it almost to the door. and put the air intake in the door worked pretty good. also welded 1/4x2 flat bar on the outside on edge to help it heat and keep the firebox straight

Since 3/16" plate would be a little cheaper and lighter, would it do the trick for the box?

Also I was thinking about welding some steel angle along the box to work as "fins" and  to strengthen the box.

Offline hedgerow

• Share Post
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 07:24:50 PM »
The insurance company's are the same around here. They won't insure houses or even out building with home made wood burning devices in them any more. They don't even like legal wood burning devices in houses and charge extra. When we were looking at adding a indoor wood furnance in our house 10 years ago the insurance company said the same as no way. so we did a Garn instead out in a out building and I heat my shop and house with it.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 08:35:29 PM »
Woodcutter, the fire box should be fire bricked at least to over where the fire is, the reflected heat will help getting less smoke and a more efficient burn. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Offline Woodcutter_Mo

• Share Post
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 05:55:21 AM »
OK, I was wondering if fire brick would be a good idea. Thanks for clearing that up.

Offline Woodcutter_Mo

• Share Post
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2015, 06:53:51 AM »
 Looks like 9x4.5x1.25" fire brick can be bought for under $3 each so lookin at $50+/- just for that if I do a 9" high row around the inside of the box.

I still have to price some steel plate for the box, some heavy 6" steel pipe and some other misc.

Offline dave_dj1

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2015, 08:45:47 PM »
If I was going to build my own hot air wood burner I surely wouldn't model after a Hotblast. I would use a round fire box, eliminating the need for external re enforcement's. I would also use a round smoke chamber above the firebox to take advantage of all the heat possible. I would also give it a secondary air intake to burn of some of the smoke.
How big of an area are you wanting to heat? My firebox is 38.5" deep and about 18" diameter and the smoke chamber is a little smaller. The jacket is lined with fiberglass insulation and a baffle so the air blows from under up and around but can't get back to the starting point. I use a regular furnace fan and have 10" in and out ducts. My burner is outside my house, love it that way!
dave

Offline Woodcutter_Mo

• Share Post
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 01:53:00 AM »
The house is around 1100sqft I believe. I don't really mean it will be just like the hotblast, just using the basic concept with improvements. ;D

For the smoke chamber, I was thinking of using some 6" heavy steel pipe the length of the fire box with 2 inlets. Sound like that would work?

Offline Woodcutter_Mo

• Share Post
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 02:02:51 AM »
Oh, and for the draft I plan to use 1 or 2 thermo adjustable flaps. I want it to burn clean but I'm going to make it to where I can slow it down to control an over fireing condition if it happens.

I might draw up a picture of what I had in mind.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 02:36:58 AM »
I'd be interested in seeing what you plan to build.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline Woodcutter_Mo

• Share Post
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2015, 04:34:10 PM »
OK I'll try to get a pic drawn up on what I'd like to make.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2015, 08:41:37 PM »
Woodcutter, insted of expensive firebrick I just used cement brick from Home Depot not mortered but just laid in. They will last a long time and its no trick to replace if one does crack. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Online Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2015, 08:45:48 PM »
Not familiar with the design you are talking about, is that a gassification type of furnace?  I have been doing some research into building a gassifier boiler that I plan to set outside.  I loved the one we had at our last place but don't want to sink that kind of $$ into another one. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline Woodcutter_Mo

• Share Post
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2015, 09:31:19 PM »
Southside logger, I'm not sure what the furnace I want to build is called, but its not a boiler type. The hot air from the furnace is pushed through the ducts.

bandmiller2, thanks for the tip. I'll give that some consideration  8) 

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2015, 10:29:15 PM »
Woodcutter, insted of expensive firebrick I just used cement brick from Home Depot not mortered but just laid in. They will last a long time and its no trick to replace if one does crack. Frank C.
The difference between regular cement brick and fire brick is that fire brick insulates.  It will not transmit heat through to the other side nearly as much as cement.  Also, as stated, it cement will crack, sometimes with energy!  I found fire brick for about 2 bucks each at a rock and stone store.  I used them to make a (gas) welding table.  They are fairly heavy, probably 2/3 the weight of clay brick.  There are also some fire brick that is extremely light weight, but very brittle, like Styrofoam.  The prices varied GREATLY, so shop around.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline Woodcutter_Mo

• Share Post
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2015, 10:38:17 PM »
 Come to think of it I have seen concrete block explode, moisture or air pockets inside I guess :o

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Wood master 5500 outdoor wood furnace

Started by Thmf on Firewood and Wood Heating

1 Replies
Last post April 08, 2016, 09:33:12 PM
by r.man
xx
Outdoor wood furnace

Started by dewwood on General Board

7 Replies
Last post June 17, 2003, 09:39:19 PM
by dail_h