iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Does anyone have this movie?

Started by Timberwerks, August 22, 2004, 08:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timberwerks

http://oregon.pacificnorthwestmovies.com/SometimesAGreatNotion/

This was one of the movies I remember seeing when I was a kid. Now that I am more involved with timber I would like to see it again. I remember it being a good movie. If someone out there has a copy I would be interested in buying it from you or renting it from you.

Thanks
Dale

Ron Wenrich

There are 5 of them over at ebay.

I saw that movie back when it first came out.  It was right before I went out to Oregon to do a stint as a chokersetter.  I even kept the job after seeing the movie.   :D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Weekend_Sawyer

I have it, Great movie I even have an 8x10 glossy promo photo of Paul Newman with a Mac chainsaw on his shoulder.
I don't want to get rid of it, check Amazon.com too.

The Lovley Miss Celest was bored to tears watching it. ::)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Frank_Pender

Yep, it was filmed about 60 miles from here. :-/
Frank Pender

Tom

If you like the movie, you should go to the old post about it here on the forum.  There is some historical nostalgia recorded here that may not be found anywhere else.   You have found a group of fans.

Here is one link to an old post.
https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=general;action=display;num=1048728631;start=6

There may be more, I can't remember.

karl

Yep- that there is a Classic! 8)

Have thought of that movie and and the characters a number of times in my life- usually when backed into a corner or taking a stand for somthin' I believe in.

Glad ya brought it up- kinda forgot about it lately. Must be I am gettin' mellow.... or life is good ;)

"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

Timberwerks

My birthday is coming up in a couple months so I think I'll hint around to my wife on what a great gift this movie would be. ;) I know she likes to shop so I this would be enjoyable for her to ;D

Dale

Weekend_Sawyer

Like I tell The Loveley Miss Celest, don't hint I woln't get it.
Tie it to a brick and hit me in the head with it! Then I might get it. ;)

SwampDonkey

Timberwerks:

Before I even clicked on the link I knew it was the movie of the family loggers with Paul Newman and Henry Fonda. I see it also, many day ago and I've been watching for it on satellite TV for some time and never could remember the name of it. On TCM there are sometimes movies played to honour an actor or director or that had a hand in the making of the movies.

thanks
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Tom: :)

In your link to a previous thread the last few words in gyppo_forester's post included the word 'bub'. Which was a word my grand father used quite often on us grand kids. When we was bad there was some other words used , but I can't post'm here. :D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Phorester

Is this the movie where he saws a desk in half with a chainsaw?

Jeff

Thats the one. :)

I have a full size original movie poster of that film. I meant to give it away in a forum contest one day but forgot about it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Weekend_Sawyer

Phorester, it sure is. Another great moment in the movie is after the beach footbal game they come home in a small boat drunk and instead of docking it they run it right up on the dock! Always wanted to do that.
WS

Timberwerks

You guy's are getting me even more eager to see this movie again. I don't think I can wait until my birthday.

Dale

Weekend_Sawyer

I scanned in that picture.

Cool eh?

Timberwerks

Very Cool 8) I can't wait til I get my copy.

Dale

SwampDonkey

Phorester

Funny, it's been probably 25 years since I last saw this movie. In my mind I always pictured the lead character as being Steve McQueen instead of Paul Newman.

I remember a few other scenes in addition to the desk sawing incident (something I'd like to do to my supervisior's desk sometimes!): seeing the small workboat in the river, when the guy is trapped under the logs in the river and drowns.

Gotta see if that movie is available at the local rental place......

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Phorester on August 29, 2004, 06:53:57 AM

Funny, it's been probably 25 years since I last saw this movie. In my mind I always pictured the lead character as being Steve McQueen instead of Paul Newman.

From what I've read McQueen and Newman were always rivels for parts in movies.

I see there are 4 videos of this movie available on ebay. They are kind of pricey for used tapes. I always factor in the shipping and check with Amazon and Walmart to compare pricing.  :-\

Jeff

I have an original theatre poster for this movie,  sometimes also called "never give an inch"

I plan of giving it away to someone on the forum, any ideas how? 8)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

One idea is for some kind of Christmas contest.  :-\

I see there is a first edition of the novel on ebay by Ken Kesey. They have a big price on it. I'm very suspicious of it, as it appeares it was heisted (speculative here) from a library down in Florida, it has a library stamp on it.  ::)

Ebay link

Weekend_Sawyer

Jeff, I'm trying to think and nothing is happening

Ok something happened. 8)

You could make it a door prize at next years FF picnic.... there is going to be a picnic next year, isnt there?

I wish this movie was available in DVD, My VCR is a pain to hook up and use then tear out after watching a couple of movies.

Jon

pigman

Quote from: Jeff B on October 13, 2005, 09:48:40 AM
I have an original theatre poster for this movie,  sometimes also called "never give an inch"

I plan of giving it away to someone on the forum, any ideas how? 8)
A contest to see who has the largest round nose would be cool. ::)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

moosehunter

Ok, here is my idea for a contest.

Whom ever has the most letters in their user name that matches the following letters;

m    o    o    s    e    h     u    n    t    e    r ;D

Wins?

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

beenthere

I have 6 that match one for one, or 8 that are used, out of 9 total.

All but the 'b' are 'inthere'  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!