iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

When helping some one back there truck up to a trailer do you

Started by ozarkgem, January 28, 2015, 07:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozarkgem

most of the time I hook up by myself also. Don't take long to get pretty good at it.  My dump truck and Bobcat trailer are the worst. They have to be dead on as there is no bumping them. too heavy. Thought about a camera for that one.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

coxy

hay wagons there is no other way to say it they are hard for backing up and ill be the first to say I CAN NOT DO IT  :D :D

mesquite buckeye

Try it with an articulated wagon sometime where the front and rear wheels both turn. :-\
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Peter Drouin

I just use mirrors on the truck. Everything else after I do hook up the first time. I look where I am from the seat , And just do it the next time. Easy. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

I use to haul a tractor from my Father's house to here. Got alot of practice. Hook up each morning,go to his place for lunch,than hook up at night. I could back up and hit the hitch with the bumper,pull forward just a bit and that was just about it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

landscraper

And then there are the folks who try to stand between the truck and the trailer so they can get a birds eye view of the alignment.  These are usually the same people who, while blocking your view of what you are trying to hook to, will wait until you are mere inches away from the hitch to indicate with some very dramatic hand motions that you should somehow move over a foot very quickly.  They often have a furrowed brow or some other facial expression that indicates that they really and truly don't understand why this isn't working.
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

LaneC

They make a device that has 2 parts. they each have a magnet for the bottom. it is like 2 antennas, they extend up and down, and on the top of each they have a ball, similar to a tennis ball. You place 1 magnet on the trailer hitch and 1 on your ball. You adjust them so they are close to the same height. You then back up until the balls touch. They stick up above your tailgate so you see them when you are backing up. When they touch, you are very close or dead on. Close enough to where you can let the trailer down and then slide the trailer all the way on with a push or kick. They have them at home depot. I think they were 19.99. They help my dad a lot.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Sixacresand

Quote from: LaneC on January 29, 2015, 07:36:01 PM
They make a device that has 2 parts. they each have a magnet for the bottom. it is like 2 antennas, they extend up and down, and on the top of each they have a ball, similar to a tennis ball. You place 1 magnet on the trailer hitch and 1 on your ball. You adjust them so they are close to the same height. You then back up until the balls touch. They stick up above your tailgate so you see them when you are backing up. When they touch, you are very close or dead on. Close enough to where you can let the trailer down and then slide the trailer all the way on with a push or kick. They have them at home depot. I think they were 19.99. They help my dad a lot.
I got a "cheap" set from Harbor Frieght.  You can line them up by watching them through your windshield mirror.  Works good
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Small Slick

My wife makes small semi circular motions with both hands. Then after I smack the bumper on the hitch of the trailer. She gets upset like it's my fault and says I don't know. Do it yourself.  John

so il logger

Quote from: Small Slick on January 29, 2015, 11:44:01 PM
My wife makes small semi circular motions with both hands. Then after I smack the bumper on the hitch of the trailer. She gets upset like it's my fault and says I don't know. Do it yourself.  John

Must be the normal thing. My wife stops me so I get out to lower the jack and secure the chains and I may be 8 inches away from the hitch. :D I guess I should be able to pull the truck back by hand  :D

JohnG28

Quote from: so il logger on January 29, 2015, 11:52:20 PM
Quote from: Small Slick on January 29, 2015, 11:44:01 PM

Must be the normal thing. My wife stops me so I get out to lower the jack and secure the chains and I may be 8 inches away from the hitch. :D I guess I should be able to pull the truck back by hand  :D

No, just yank the trailer forward a foot!  :D
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Jim_Rogers

Normally I hook up alone, and I just stand up a metal stone rake with a wooden handle as a marker where the trailer hitch is. And when the trailer ball protector hits the rake handle I know it's back far enough. Both my flat bed lumber delivery trailer and my sawmill I can slide left or right to line up if I'm back far enough.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

pigman

I always hitch up to a trailer by myself and I am very good at it. I back up until I hear the tongue breaking one of the tail lights. I then pull up a few feet, cut the front wheels sharply and back up until I hear the other tail light breaking. I then pull up some and back up straight until the trailer tongue rams the license plate. Now, I know I am close and just get out ten times until the truck is in the correct spot.  ::)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: pigman on January 30, 2015, 12:59:12 PM
I always hitch up to a trailer by myself and I am very good at it. I back up until I hear the tongue breaking one of the tail lights. I then pull up a few feet, cut the front wheels sharply and back up until I hear the other tail light breaking. I then pull up some and back up straight until the trailer tongue rams the license plate. Now, I know I am close and just get out ten times until the truck is in the correct spot.  ::)

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

terrifictimbersllc

My record is getting in and out of truck 14 times.   Usually alone I get out 3-4 times. When customer helps and I pretty much ignore him it is 2-3 times.  If I train the customer as to what's needed it is usually 1-2 times.  Haven't tried letting customer or wife back the truck up with me signaling.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

Just had a tow hitch installed on the Toyota, and noticed the ball just shows in the bottom of the reverse camera  ;D

Should save some wear and tear on the lights and bumper now I don't have to use Pigman's method  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

beenthere

Ian
A screen shot of the trailer tongue and ball getting close would be great to see. (hint.. ;) )
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Mc

I've been known to use the Pigman method myself from time to time.

I thought I had gotten pretty good at backing up until I had a small Rubbermaid trailer hooked up behind my Coot (and antique ATV/UTV). The Coot is 4 wheel steering - the combination of that and the short coupling of the Rubbermaid trailer has me stymied. One of these days I'll hook up and spend some time practicing, but that last time I just gave up, got out and moved the trailer by hand.

John
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Ianab

Quote from: beenthere on January 30, 2015, 04:50:39 PM
Ian
A screen shot of the trailer tongue and ball getting close would be great to see. (hint.. ;) )

Getting a trailer this week for a milling road trip. Will practise a bit then take some pictures  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Buckshot00

Been backing by myself for the last 25 years.  Pretty much got it down pat.

Tom the Sawyer

My wife tired pretty quickly of spotting for me when hooking up the trailer or the mill.  She bought me a magnetic wireless camera system, the iBall Camera.  The small receiver plugs into the dash and the magnetic camera runs on a 9v battery. 

Much, much less stressful... and she doesn't have to get up so early.  It is a b&w camera and on very sunny days you might find yourself trying to line up with the shadow on the ground but it almost always lets you get lined up the first time.  I've had clients, who didn't see the camera, be amazed at how accurate I was. 

For difficult sites, I had a receiver hitch installed on the front of my F350 and the benefit of the magnetic base is that I can move it to the hood when I hook up to the front.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

isawlogs

Quote from: Tom the Sawyer on January 31, 2015, 06:24:37 PM
My wife tired pretty quickly of spotting for me when hooking up the trailer or the mill.  She bought me a magnetic wireless camera system, the iBall Camera.  The small receiver plugs into the dash and the magnetic camera runs on a 9v battery. 

Much, much less stressful... and she doesn't have to get up so early. 

Have you tried to ask her to help out in the evening ....  I usualy pine the mill to the pick-up the night before, I would never wake the lioness in da morning to help .... I like livin' on the edge, but that would make it very difficult to do .  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Tom the Sawyer

I usually hook up early in the morning, she is usually up shortly after I am but not always ready to go outside.  She is a wonderful person and always offers to help.  Unfortunately, she doesn't like to be told what to do or how to do it which make 'helping' somewhat difficult.  The fewer times I accept her help, the better we get along.   ;D
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Thank You Sponsors!