iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Viking Timberwolf Boots

Started by pine, March 23, 2015, 02:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pine

I have a set of Viking Timberwolf VW69 boots that have been quite literally lifesaving at times. 

Unfortunately they are starting to show their age and I have been looking for their replacement.
It seems that the VW69 has been replaced by the VW69-1 but the specs remain the same.  Unfortunately nobody that I can find in the US carries them, they are carrying the VW65 which is only Class 2 chainsaw resistant vs the class 3 VW69-1.

Canada stores have the VW69-1 but will not ship to the US for some reason.
I can find Class 3 boots with the lug sole in the US but not the caulked sole.

Maybe the Canadians care more about safety but with the US safety police I doubt it. Why would the better boot not be available in the US anymore?

Has anyone else noticed this and how have you resolved it?

DeerMeadowFarm

I believe the Husqvarna ones that I ordered through Amazon are class 3 and look very similar to the Viking if that's any help?

pine

DeerMeadowFarm
I went on line to see if I could ID Huskie boots as you described.  Do you have a model/style number for what you have/found on Amazon.  Presume they are caulked with steel toes as well.

I had hoped that maybe others had experienced the issue.  Maybe I am the lone ranger on this one.

sprucebunny

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

Pine don't be forced into the 65's because them darn things will bruise the top of your foot. I have used the 69-1's for thinning, and know the 65's hurt more feet than just mine.

Pine, will Deakin Equipment in Vancouver ship to the US? I think they do.

http://www.deakin.com/products/Details.aspx?p=3174&c=6&g=all

Your US dollar is worth about 30% more right now to.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pine

Quote from: sprucebunny on March 24, 2015, 06:23:42 PM
http://workingperson.com/viking-boots-vw69-steel-toe-chainsaw-boots.html

Indiana

https://www.loggingsupply.com/shop/viking-rubber-caulk-boot-vw69-hard-top/
WAshington

Thanks, but the first link states that they have been discontinued and are no longer carried. 
Cowlitz River Rigging the second link does not have them and has not had them for some time.  They have not updated their website however it appears.

pine

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 24, 2015, 07:23:45 PM
Pine don't be forced into the 65's because them darn things will bruise the top of your foot. I have used the 69-1's for thinning, and know the 65's hurt more feet than just mine.

Pine, will Deakin Equipment in Vancouver ship to the US? I think they do.

http://www.deakin.com/products/Details.aspx?p=3174&c=6&g=all

Your US dollar is worth about 30% more right now to.

Thanks SwampDonkey I will give them a call in the AM and see if they will ship. 
If I get desperate enough I may have to make a run for the border and get them and bring them back. 
The fuel cost will eat me as will the time required. But I agree the VW65's do not cut it.

sprucebunny

Oh, well, I tried.

Maybe write to Viking and ask where to get them.
I visited their website and saw a winter version of the Bushwacker boots  8)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

pine

Yes you did and I thank you for trying, that is why I posted.
Their website is pretty good but it does not say anything about limiting sales in the US of certain models. They have some great products for those that need/use them.
Again thanks

SwampDonkey

I often have to get them from Deakin as the local shops will often have those 65's with no chaulks.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

dgdrls

Give the FF sponsors a call
see what they can do

Best
DGDrls

SwampDonkey

Ask PacForest Supply, but their site only shows the 65's, class 2.

pine

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 25, 2015, 06:35:50 AM
Madsen my normal supplier for them, Cowlitz my backup no have.  PacForest doesn't have either.  As well as internet searches of everyone that I have found in US.

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: pine on March 24, 2015, 05:06:10 PM
DeerMeadowFarm
I went on line to see if I could ID Huskie boots as you described.  Do you have a model/style number for what you have/found on Amazon.  Presume they are caulked with steel toes as well.

Hi Pine - I got them in December this past year. They are class 3, steel toed, caulks are extra but they have the holes for them. Husqvarna 505673448 Rubber Logging Boots.

SwampDonkey

Deermeadow, are they actual screw in caulk that you install with a wrench or are they stud holes?

dgdrls

Quote from: pine on March 25, 2015, 10:07:58 AM
Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 25, 2015, 06:35:50 AM
Madsen my normal supplier for them, Cowlitz my backup no have.  PacForest doesn't have either.  As well as internet searches of everyone that I have found in US.

Any luck?  I have the Husky's non corked, appear very similar.

DGDrls

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 25, 2015, 01:34:46 PM
Deermeadow, are they actual screw in caulk that you install with a wrench or are they stud holes?
I believe they require a wrench. About a week or so after I got mine for Christmas, I saw a pair on CL in VT that were my size and everything and the ad stated that it came with "extra caulks and wrench". I've never had or used them before so I'm not sure what to look for on my boots...?

SwampDonkey

They would have thread holes and no treads to the boot, just a heal. When the shop stocks the 96-1 here they are usually a lot cheaper than in the west. $160

DeerMeadowFarm

SD - Wore my Husky boots all day yesterday and I was not too tired when I took them off last night to take a look at them. They have treads, a heel AND holes for calks. Not sure what that means for you, but I hope it helps you out! :)

SwampDonkey

Sounds good to me, thanks.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!