iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

homemade bandsaw mill, help

Started by gww, April 09, 2015, 05:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gww

Ox
Sociaty is a bit differrent then before the 80's.  I am a bit differrent then I was then also.

I come here when I start getting lax to get pumped up for more.  After your responce, I actually did a bit more then I have been doing. 
Thanks
gww

Ps  I guess I am like everyone else.  I need fed by others once in a while.

Ox

I'm glad to hear that, bud.  I think we all need some positive reinforcement from time to time.  Even us hermits!  I know sometimes it seems like I go a long ways between positive stuff being said.  Sometimes I just don't know what to think anymore.  I just try to keep reminding myself that if my ancestors are watching they'd be proud, even if nobody else knows what I'm doing or thinking.  Maybe that sounds crazy, but it works for me!  Keep on keeping on, gww.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

gww

Ox
QuoteSometimes I just don't know what to think anymore.
Even when I thought I knew what to think, I am pretty sure I didn't.  One thing I am sure of, life is a trial for everyone cause you don't get all the answers to the test before being tested.  I don't need the ansestors cause I got you, na just joking, ansestors are good too.  I don't know if I atribute it to ansestors or god or karma but a guy has to do something and I would rather do good but lots of time I am mostly working to at least do no extra harm.  Positive reinforcement is nice also.  As far as building things go, I am always amazed that the framing goes up fairly fast but the small stuff  that needs to be done to the framing to bring it all together takes quite a bit of time.

I hope things are going well for you and yours.
gww
Ps  I am also a chainsaw user, I very seldom use any other saw when building things so it is no surprize when I end up 3 inches out of square corner to corner.

gww

Ox
Sometimes I think of these projects as mine and your projects cause you were there from the beginning.  I am willing to take responsibility for the ugly parts but am pretty sure the projects would have been uglier had you not answered so many questions for me through it all.
Cheers
gww

Ox

It does me good hearing that I was able to make someone's life just a little "better" in whatever way!  As far as building something with a chainsaw - don't feel like the lone ranger!  I've done it too!  And 3 inches off on a roughed in building like that is quite acceptable in my opinion.  You should see the "shed" I made from the remains of a small barn I tore down years ago.  It's out of plumb by close to a foot!  For the roofing I used an old above ground pool (the vinyl outside part) and cut it to sized panels.  But it still stands over 10 years later.  I don't consider myself a carpenter in any stretch of the imagination.  I'm more of a mechanic and machinery operator than anything.  Behind those I guess I'd be a fabricator/cob jobber from a land where men are men, the women are too and the sheep run scared.  :D 

I'm curious about your bee swarm trap.  What does it look like?  What's it built out of?  Where do you put them?  Is it just pure luck to get a swarm or can you do something to increase your chances?  I love honey (the real stuff, not store bought) and I've been buying it from our local honey farm.  I'm wondering if it's worth it to have my own bees.  What do you think?  How did you get into bees?  How did you learn about them?  Sorry for all the questions, but I know very little about bees.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

gww

Ox
Bees?  My son-in-law ask if he could keep bees at my place.  He didn't think there was much to it.  I knew he didn't have the time as he lives 3 hours away from me.  I was newly retired and not above coming up with little tricks to keep my kids visiting me and thought if he was interested it might be a way to keep them coming and keep me interesting.  I also decide that living on 20 acrers that it really would cost nothing to do as I like it at home anyway.

I got on a forum to learn about bees just like learning about sawing here.  I just read the dayly post and as questions pop into my head I ask them. 

I am a year behind due to over confidence that I would be more successful in my trapping and not have to spend real money on bees.  Had I bought and not killed them I would be closer to getting something from it, Maby.

Trapping is just setting out a box and putting lemon grass oil in it.  I just take a qtip and soak one end and put it in a sandwich bag and put it in the box/trap.  If you can get old comb it is supposed to work better.  I had two old combs given to me and I cut them into 2 inch squares and just threw it in the bottom of the box.  I believe you could spend a lot of money on bees but I made everything including a veil made with a shirt sewn on some window screen.  I have lots of time in the project but almost zero money.

I use what is called a medium box for my hives.  A medium is 6 and 5/8th inch deep.  For trapping you need a box that is 9 and 5/8th inch deep.  They are about 20 inches long and 15/16 inches wide.  I just make the traps and then will cut them down when I make hives out of them.

I went here for free plans of the things I built.
http://beesource.com/build-it-yourself/

I have been reading for about two years and will now get a bit of experiance.  I don't think it has to be very hard to raise bees unless you are profit motivated.  Reading makes it seem hard but like everything, I believe once you find the bare minimum to keep them going it won't be too hard.

I have lots of little sites I could post links to that might help if you want to pursue it.

I figure living here and having a place to keep them and it not really taking anything away from that place, why not use it.

I did do the same with bees as I did with sawmills.  Watched lots of you-tube vids.  You can do anything with an internet connection.

I hope this helps some.
Cheers
gww

Ps trapping is like fishing, lots of hooks and they don't all get full.  I had 12 last year and nothing and 16 out this year and caught 2.

Ps ps  As you can see about me and money versus time.  Just like bees, I figure the shed not counting my wood is going to cost me time and about $1300 to build for the screws, tin, concreet for post and a bit of gravel.  Lots of time but not much money.

Ox

Thanks for that link.  I'll have to start wandering around the net to see if bees is something I want to get in to.  I understand fully the time/money thing.  An old timer once said "There's 2 forms of currency in this world:  time and money.  If you don't have one, you better have the other."  A perfect saying for folks like us.

gww

Ox
I went foundationless cause then I can build everything myself with buying nothing (except a little bottle of lemon grass oil).  I would think having foundation and you wouldn't have to get in the hive very often.  If you want to know anything from me or some links to look at just let me know.  Remember though that I have no first hand experiance and am relying on reading more then doing.  Anything I tell you will be the best I have to offer and given while trying to help and not hurt.  I am not pushing for you to do one thing or the other, just want to help if I can.

I am not expecting a responce to this unless you need something cause I wouldn't want to wear out my welcome by trying to keep the conversations going till it becomes a burden to you.  There is always something more to say (I guess you noticed all the times I PS after I sign my name :)
Good luck
gww

Ox

You'll never "wear out your welcome" with me, my friend.  I appreciate your offer to help me however you can, thanks for that.  Right now I'm busier than all get out and sometimes can't sleep, like tonight, but I'd like to at least entertain the idea of beekeeping.  It may be too much for me because I always have a lot on my plate, usually more than I can handle at one time.  ::)  Maybe we ought to be chatting with personal messages instead of taking up the forum's space?  This spinoff conversation isn't really part of your sawmill thread.  I screwed that up by asking you about bees!  I shoulda messaged you.  What do you think?

plowboyswr

Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

Ox

plowboy - I know, right?  ::) :D ;)

That was a perfect post, plowboy.  It made me laugh!

gww

Ox
Trapping.
https://ecommons.cornell.edu/bitstream/handle/1813/2653/Bait%20Hives%20for%20Honey%20Bees.pdf;jsessionid=E93AA48694C263CE41D7E085AAC48AE4?sequence=2

One guys writing that I could at least understand what he was saying.
http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

I had wrote a big text that dissapeared while I was looking for the links.

I will answer if you personal message me unless I some how miss the message.

I am not that worried about taking this thread off topic.  It is now so long no one will read it anyway.

I have taken it off topic with all my build pictures though they are the only pictures I have left due to computer and camera problims and so I am glad I did.

Bees is why I first got the ideal to build a mill.

I build bee stuff in winter when you can't really do much else.  Since you can only get bees in spring it can be a long prossess to actualy move forward with bees (like a three to five year plan).  I don't think they actually take a lot of actual time from you except the building in winter and if you mass produce and don't do onesies and twosies even that might be pretty quick. (I do one or two at a time though).

I hate when I can't sleep when it actually messes me up for a while also.
I wish I had not lost my first post to you.
Good luck
gww

dean herring

Welcome to the Forum. Just another opinoin.  Make sure your mill head is EXACTLY perpinduclar to your  bed ALL the way to the end and there is no bark or sawdust build up in your tracks.
One of your wheels looks frayed like the teeth are riding a little hard on it. I'm no expert but could it be blade speed  consistency problem.
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

gww

I finaly about a month ago got the tin on and have did nothing since the hot weather started.

Ox Just for you, here is my start to having bees.

But the big news is that I finally can transfer pictures from my cell phone to my computer.  My mom gave me a micro chip that fits in the phone and made it work.  I thank all that had tried to tutor me on this.
Cheers
gww

Ox

....and he's tech savvy to boot!  Good looking work, there gww.  Did you build or buy your bee houses/hives/supers.  I really can't remember much about the terminology when I researched some a while ago.  It's not something I've pushed aside, just something I can't get to this year anyways!  Keep cool if you can...

gww

Ox
It is pretty easy to keep cool, I haven't moved from the lazyboy for a month.  Lazyboy GOOD.

I built the hives out of oak or whatever.  No pine around here.

Tech savvy, you are funny.
Cheers
gww

tnaz

Quote from: gww on July 14, 2016, 02:50:36 PM
Ox
It is pretty easy to keep cool, I haven't moved from the lazyboy for a month. Lazyboy GOOD. :D :D

I built the hives out of oak or whatever.  No pine around here.

Tech savvy, you are funny.
Cheers
gww

plowboyswr

Shed looks good.  8) smiley_clapping
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

gww

Plow.....
Not done, but now keeping things dry, so it may never get done.
Thank you
gww

bkaimwood

Nice shed, gww... congratulations on the completion, looks good! Looks like you have the same problem I have... everything is full before it's even done...
bk

gww

bk
Full before done?  Thats why my wife was afraid of what I built,  she thought I would fill it with junk.  It was needed pretty bad and I want to board and batton three sides but may never do it either.
Thanks for looking.
gww

Ox

tnaz - that made me laugh too!                                                                                                                                                  gww - I don't get much done outside these days but I try to get out there at least for an hour or two if I can stand the heat and my stupid back.

gww

Ox
I haven't even been getting an hour a day due to the heat.  I have been keeping my reading on bees up pretty good over the last month.  The computer is close to the lazyboy.
Cheers
gww

gww

Most poeple like pictures.  Due to the heat over the last few months, I have only used the mill for one cut to put a strait edge on a board.

Beech and fire pit. 

Shed moved to club house

Shed location to club house.

Dock with little tourches for light.

Current project, two teer swim deck 16'x20' with diving board and slide.  Bought treated wood.

Path to out house.

Concreete pad in use.

Bobcat killed a couple of deer seasons ago for looks, Ha ha.

Steps and poarches from my wood.

Slatted racks for bee hives.

My fourth table saw, burnt the motor out of three of the cheep skill ones.

Cheers
gww

Ox

That looks like a fantastic place to set and chat and swim.  I'm envious.  Nice pics and thanks for sharing.

Thank You Sponsors!