iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Please Help!!

Started by JMoore, April 13, 2015, 08:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMoore

I found lots of these today in some air dried red oak I was fixing to build a bathroom vanity with. What are they and should I burn the Wood and start over or treat some how.I didn't notice any saw dust but they were obviously coming out of the wood.

WDH

Not the dreaded powderpost beetle.  Could be termites. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Looks "termitey" for sure and I see channels in the lumber.  There probably was a path to ground evidenced by mud tunnels on the underside of the lumber.  Also surely there was evidence of moisture.

Subterranean termites need moisture to survive, so removing the moisture eliminates the termites.   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

If its got White Wings, its a Termite. Use the wood to make benches for fat people.
They'll have a ball.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

BCsaw

Poston......I don't know where you come up with this stuff! :D :D
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

beenthere

The oak wood in the pics looks to have a fair amount of decay or insect damage.
Might be where they are coming from.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LeeB

Looks like an ant to me. Spring is swarming season.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Chuck White

First thing I thought, was that it looks a lot like a "small" mud dauber!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jemclimber

I want to see more pictures of that oak!  ;D    Is that decay/coloring just in the sap wood?
lt15

WDH

The spalt that I have in oak is only in the sapwood.  My customers don't seem to like spalt in oak. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

5quarter

Don't know about the bug, but that's some nice looking wood. enough heat should kill anything remaining in the oak.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

bandmiller2

Interesting wood, I would heat or steam it to kill the vermin and use it, termite family. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Solomon

I concure with all the above replies. So I have nothing to add to this.
The heat or steam seems very practical and economicly prudent to me.
Another option is some good bug killing chemicals.
Go to   agritrade.com    if you want to go that route.   Chloradane can still be had.
It's not cheap anymore but still available.
If you're not familliar with it, do your homework.  I would discribe it as  "What don't you want dead",  I mean board your pets elsewhere before you deploy it.
Send you kids to Grandma's for the weekend. 
The concentrate is around 4 or 5 hundred dollars per gallon.
I garentee,  You will have no more bugs, rodents, raccoons, opossum, fox, muskrat or anything else for a long long time. 8)
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Deese

I had the same problem until I started washing my underwear....now bug free!!! ;D ;D smiley_heh_heh smiley_heh_heh
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

JMoore

Thanks to everyone who replied I have no idea what im going to do. WDH is right it is only in the sap wood and although it does look pretty good in the pic the reality is that it looks bad overall. The tree laid on the ground a little while before we sawed it. I would burn a log like it now but that was the very first tree we sawed after Caveman and I bought our saw.

caveman

When John sent me pictures via text message, I replied that the shape of the bugs looked termite-like, but I have never seen the long tails on termites.  After he sent me the pictures, I searched Google and Bing Images for wood eating insects, beetles and a host of other things and found nothing that closely resembled what he showed.  This is perplexing and discouraging.
Caveman
Caveman

Magicman

Whatever they are, I do not see a need for alarm.  I have used much termite infested lumber in the past.  Just kill them and keep on keeping on.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gfadvm

That bug looks like a parasitic wasp that preys on larvae of other bugs (harmless to humans).  There are several species and some are sold commercially for fly control.

Bottom line: I think that is most likely a "good bug"!

Tree Dan

Quote from: Magicman on April 14, 2015, 08:19:38 PM
keep on keeping on.   ;D

I like that^^^ Justa keep on keepen on boys 8)
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

customsawyer

If ole Tom was here he would set us all strait. Them little bugs was one of the things that got him wound up. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

caveman

I spent a lot of time reading and learning from Tom's posts.  He had a gift when it came to telling a story or educating folks. 
Caveman
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!