iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building my mill...

Started by Kbeitz, April 17, 2015, 07:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ox

I don't feel like the lone ranger...  ;)

I don't think I have anything I could share with you, however.  You seem quite smart.

Ol gww, he says he isn't very smart but he's set up his own power system grid and built his own mill from scrap.  You can't be dumb and be able to do that!  Hear me, gww?  :D
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

gww

Ox
I also dropped a tree on a power line and the tree went right where I wanted it to.  I don't know about smart but sometimes I am lucky and things just work out.

K I realize this is not "my" build thread but wanted some to know that I have seemed to have fixed my belt slipping issue.  I took a small metal electic fence pole and bent it around the wheel/pully and spot welded it.  I then built up that side with $20 worth of liquid weld.  I have wanted to try this since building the mill but was scared to cause I didn't think I could reverse it if I screwed it up.  It is working great and I will add it to my build thread if I can ever get my camera to work good enough.

I also put a new blade on.  I cut two and 1/2 logs and was still cutting fair with no wave and just having to push a little harder.  I then used k's ideal with a very small touch with the dreamal and it cut better then when it was new.  I only have did one log after touching the blade but will have to probly touch it pretty often if history holds true.  It was not cutting wavy and now that I have more horse power and no belt slipping,  my intention was to cut untill I got wave and then report how many logs it cut to you but I couldn't make myself do it cause it cuts so fast if I just dreamel the blade a bit.
Anyway, Thanks for your post and pictures K.  Ox, thank you for your always trying to make me feel right (even if you are wrong :laugh:).
Cheers
gww

PS K, I really like when you post things like the silver solder.  I look for ways to try and use the things I already have cause I am retired and not trying to make a living with my mill and have more time then I have a willingness to spend money.  I may never use it but it is the type of thing I like to know incase I want to use it.

Kbeitz

GWW I think your doing great. We all make Boo boos and thats how we all learn.

When using the silver solder if you never did it before... Make sure you grind the band real clean
and make sure you use flux. I start by heating the band a little (you don't want to get it to hot)
Then I feed a little silver solder to the flame. When a drop of solder lands on the blade I keep my
heat on the drop and the blade. When the temp gets just right the drop will flow across the blade,
Thats the time to add more solder. When doing the flip side again don't get it to hot or your solder
will run off the bottom. Don't use more solder than you need. It's not cheap and you will just end up
grinding it off anyway. When I first started doing this I bought the torch setup that took two bottles.
One Map gas and the other oxygen. But I found out the the single tank setup with just the Map gas
does just fine.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

gww

K
Thanks for the tutorial.
gww

Ox

Yep - good class.  I'll bet a dollar there's alot more than just a few people reading all of this and taking notes!  Do you source your silver solder locally or online?  Any particular brand that you like better than others?

gww - dropping a tree on the power lines?  I got you beat.  :D  I had a locust flip up and over the loader bucket and land on my old trailer house.  Caved in the living room ceiling.  It was a tree that was ready to fall, leaning way over from the remnants of a hurricane that blew through here years ago.  The wind was so strong I had to really lean into it to stay upright.  Up here on the hill, the bedrock is real shallow and tree roots can't go down very far.  This was all a blessing in disguise because I ended up with a nicer place with more room for my family.  It's not glamorous, but it's functional and we like it for the most part.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Kbeitz

I get my silver solder from E-bay.... But then again I buy almost everything from there...
It changes every week so you keep watchen...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

Gotcha.  Thanks.  I myself use Amazon and Ebay as much as possible.  Can't beat the prices.

gww

On small items, I always look for free shipping.
gww

Kbeitz

Wow.... Oak logs are just plane heavy...

Had to get the big boy out...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Gotta do whatcha gotta do.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Kb has his butt up in the air.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gww

My dads kabota L3300 looked exactly the same today.  I built an 8x10 shed out of mostly oak and loaded it on a trailer today.  kobota on the back and 2000 lb winch on front and a whole bunch of one inch at a time.  One corner of the shed did that to my kobota. K, I see you have more then one kobota.  I have to honestly say that I abuse everything and the kobota has been good to me.
gww

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

I went to an auction and bought this trailer. I park it beside my mill when sawing.
I'm making pallets that fits on top 3.5x8'. This make it really easy for me to load
each board as they come off the mill. when the traile is full I move to to the drying
shed and band it up and forklift the pallet off and move it back to the mill...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

I use an old manure spreader I rebuilt for the same purpose.  That's a nice old wagon you got there.

Kbeitz

I moved some more ground this week. I was running out of room to store my lumber.

I also was making pallets to store my lumber on...

Next project is to build a few more firewood boxes. I got three filled up already and the woods pilling up on the ground.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Sometimes you dont get much out of a good lookin log...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

Thanks for taking the time to post your pics.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who enjoys looking at what you've accomplished.  Nice looking operation you've got there, for sure.

gww

I agree with ox on the picture thing.  I find you have a very interest accumulation of differrent things always in the back ground that really keep the eye focused.  You must be made of pure energy and tremendous amagination to have all the things going on that it seems you have going on.

I too am having real storage problims.  Are the boards sitting there left uncovered for a quick project or do you put tin over them for long term storage?  I have enough room in my lean too for two more logs and then I have to come up with some other way to store or use the boards.  If I use them I will never get an air dried board.
Love your pictures
gww

plowboyswr

Quote from: Kbeitz on April 03, 2016, 09:16:19 AM

Too bad you're so far away I have have a customer who wants all the hollow logs I can get him. Says he's going to make bear baiting stations out of them. ::)
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

Kbeitz

Quote from: gww on April 03, 2016, 09:47:46 AM
I agree with ox on the picture thing.  I find you have a very interest accumulation of differrent things always in the back ground that really keep the eye focused.  You must be made of pure energy and tremendous amagination to have all the things going on that it seems you have going on.

I too am having real storage problims.  Are the boards sitting there left uncovered for a quick project or do you put tin over them for long term storage?  I have enough room in my lean too for two more logs and then I have to come up with some other way to store or use the boards.  If I use them I will never get an air dried board.
Love your pictures
gww

The lumber was just moved there. Tin will be put on the week.

TKS.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Quote from: plowboyswr on April 03, 2016, 11:13:07 AM
Quote from: Kbeitz on April 03, 2016, 09:16:19 AM

Too bad you're so far away I have have a customer who wants all the hollow logs I can get him. Says he's going to make bear baiting stations out of them. ::)

Going to try to make flower pots for the auction to sell.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

47sawdust

We filled hollow rounds with soil and flowers for an outdoor wedding.It was e very nice touch and well received.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Slingshot

Kbeitz, Just want to say thank you for the information on the speed controller
your using on your sawmill and where to buy. I ordered one of them from a
distributer in Calif with a plastic cover. Paid a few more dollars but got it 3 days.

Kbeitz

So far I'm very happy with my speed controllers.
They seem to be a tough unit at a great price.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!