iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

osage orange and moisture meters

Started by TomFromStLouis, September 05, 2004, 07:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomFromStLouis

I have the Wagner L609 which is calibrated for Doug Fir. Other species are shown in the table of the little booklet so you can read down and adjust your reading to the species you have. Except for osage orange (hedge, hedgeapple, bois d'arc), which is not listed.

Everything went into the kiln air dry and the sycamore and cherry are both reading 7%. The meter says 14% on the osage orange, but there are other species which convert to the 6-8% range in the table. Anyone know if this reading means my osage is really 7%?

I suppose that technically I could do the oven dry test, but 1 - I never have done it one before because 2 - I do not have an appropriate scale. So, I rely on the meter. And you.

woodbeard

Do they have a listing for granite? That might be similar :D

TomFromStLouis

Actually, you are getting warmer. I checked the tables for exotics, because to me osage orange is really an exotic in all ways except for where it grows  ::)

Sure enough, most of the denser exotics take a 14% reading and make it really mean 7-9%. So, if nobody comes up with a better answer, I will sell it as dry.

Thank You Sponsors!