iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My new garden is under surveillance.

Started by Dave Shepard, May 06, 2015, 08:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I stripped off a little spot for a garden last week and put some soil/compost mix in and spread it around. I bought some seeds to plant, but haven't had time to plant them yet. A couple of days ago I was walking towards my OWB when I saw something run up a tree that was way too big to be a squirrel. Apparently the news of my impending garden activities has gotten around:

He (or she) was about 8' up that scrubby little tree. I could have reached up and touched it, but I decided I liked my fingers too much. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WmFritz

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

sandsawmill14

hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

coxy

never new that woodchucks would climb trees   there is some good eating in that tree  :)

zopi

click...BOOOM!

Old gal we bought our place from told me about the groundhog..they had a deal, he did not get in her garden, and she didn't shoot him.

I had no such deal with said groundhog.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Raider Bill

Quote from: coxy on May 07, 2015, 07:05:16 AM
never new that woodchucks would climb trees   there is some good eating in that tree  :)

me neither.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: Raider Bill on May 07, 2015, 08:50:38 AM

me neither.

Nor me! That's a new one...

submarinesailor

I shot one off as fence post one time.  It was eating the honey suckle growing in the fence line. :rifle:

beenthere

Seeing was believing for me. Surprised a woodchuck once when pulling into our drive, and it dashed up a nearby tree. Stopped and watched it for awhile, to be sure I was seeing right.
I figured easy picking so went out with the gun.  But as I approached, he slithered out of that tree as fast as he went up.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sandhills

Me too beenthere, ran across the driveway in front of the 4 wheeler, I thought it was a badger at first (just about dark) until it ran up the tree, yes they climb trees.

pabst79

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on May 06, 2015, 09:55:52 PM
digin_2 digin_2

Never eaten one, do they taste like coon or beaver? They are protected here for the most part so they were never served at the wild game feeds we always went to when I was a kid.  musteat_1
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

beenthere

In Wisconsin,

QuoteProperty owners can kill nuisance woodchucks but anyone else needs a license.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Chuck White

Quote from: DeerMeadowFarm on May 07, 2015, 09:18:13 AM
Quote from: Raider Bill on May 07, 2015, 08:50:38 AM

me neither.

Nor me! That's a new one...

The trees that they can climb has to be leaning quite a bit and have rough bark, or it has to have a lot of limbs.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sandsawmill14

pabst   I like it better than coon but its is similar  dont know about beaver never had a chance at one. :) Dont have any beaver on these ridges around here  :D :D

beenthere

QuoteThe trees that they can climb has to be leaning quite a bit and have rough bark, or it has to have a lot of limbs.

Not the case with the one I saw.. I'll plan to get a pic of the tree...
south central Wisconsin

SwampDonkey

Oh yes, they can climb real good. The dog would tree them all the time when they couldn't get to their hole.

You'll want to deal with that fat boy before anything green emerges. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sandsawmill14

sweet potatoes is where they give us the most problems :rifle:  then bake him with sweet potatoes smiley_chef_hat :D :D :D

trim4u2nv

Here are two babies climbing a mulberry next to my barn.  The mulberry i dont care but they can really bust up my cherry trees.

thecfarm

I never knew those critters could climb trees until I saw it on here a few years ago. I've been around them things my whole life. Now I know they can get in a stone wall and 40 feet away they come out.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!