iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

15,000 Trees Later

Started by Autocar, May 10, 2015, 02:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

We got all done planting 35 acres on a ten foot by ten foot spacing or there abouts  :D . Worked 15 hours on Friday and 8 hours on Saturday we had a tree planter but it still was a lot of work. We had disked the feild then rowtilled the strips where the trees were to be planted so the ground was in pretty good shape. One of the fellows that helped said I love planting trees and I looked back and said I love cutting them  ;D. Now we just need rain off and on,by the way they were all hard wood trees.
Bill

Ohio_Bill

Congratulations, that is quite a accomplishment.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

pine

That is quite the accomplishment.  Two of you in 23 hours each for 46 man hours planted 15K seedlings.  That is an amazing plant rate.  Hope the deer don't come have a party and eat the tops.

Presume bare root, what kind (2+0) (1+1) etc and what species?

WDH

A little late to be planting trees?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

;D
Haf ta wait for the glacier to melt..
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Autocar

It has been a wet spring here even the nursery in Michigan and Indiana told us most orders were on hold because of the wet weather. I guess they were bare root. The roots were twice the size of the trees, we planted red maple/swamp white oak/cypress/sycamore/walnut there were some other types also. To be honest I didn't pay much attenion I just wanted to get them in the ground before we got rainned out again. We had a number of guys that helped but even at that one tractor and one planter it still was a three man job. I hope to live long enough to see them 15/20 feet but maybe I won't. In the 70's and 80's myself and our county game warden planted around 40 to 60 acres every spring. Now it is pretty cool to see a woods thats twenty five to forthy feet tall trees. And Ive also seen a number of them get bulldozed becaus the next land owner wanted open ground. Iam not a big fan of planting nursery stock plants I always felt seeds seem to do better drill a hole with a dyamite auger and drop in a walnut or acorn and back fill the hole with dry dirt and wait for spring. I try to give a little bit back I only wish other folks would also, it sure would be a better place for all.
Bill

gjersy

Good deal, I bet you guys have sore backs from riding in the planter, hope the ground wasn't to bumpy.
If life gives you lemons, throw 'em into a quart of vodka.

lopet

A picture of that planter and those tilled rows would be nice.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Clark

I too, am interested to know what species you planted. No matter, that is quite the accomplishment.

Quote from: WDH on May 10, 2015, 08:12:14 PM
A little late to be planting trees?

:D  :D

You southerners!

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

WDH

93 degrees here today  smiley_sun.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

WDH, I may have to go to Georgia to cool off, it has been hot here. 
Caveman
Caveman

Autocar

WDH 53 degrees here today with a 25/30 mile per hour wind out of the west. I logged today but had to be careful cutting, leaves arn't full yet so tops weren't twisting around. As far as what kind of trees we planted they were all native hardwoods and cypress. And when it comes to pictures I haven't figured it out but to be honest I just haven't tried to much eather.
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!