iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Shed

Started by stanwelch, May 11, 2015, 09:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

customsawyer

I don't know if I recommend a edger. They are very addictive. If you build it we might be able to find a edger over a little west of here.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

stanwelch

That might be like kickin the hornet nest!   :D :D :D
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

stanwelch

Took a couple weeks off but back at it again.  I'll be setting roof trusses next but decided to prep roof deck boards first.  I've been air drying boards I cut last year.

this is the first of four stacks to process.  I'll need about 200 eight foot boards to cover roof.   Thanks to my grandson for his help.

I visited WDH last February to see his impressive operation.  His planer shed setup inspired me to buy this Grizzly spiral head planer.  It works really well.  Now if I only had an edger...
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

Kbeitz

I was a Grizzly tech for 5 years...
Love the new Southbend line of tools...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

Cool!  A little inside information from Kbeitz!  With the popularity of Grizzly tools on this forum I wish they were a sponsor.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Quote from: stanwelch on July 07, 2015, 05:15:10 AMNow if I only had an edger...
One never knows when one is not looking.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

Part of my mill is made with Grizzlys stuff...
I also use a lot of there tools...

picture is Grizzly band saw wheels.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

stanwelch

Figured out how to install trusses.  Used the cart I made to set the plates and the help of my neighbor.  We placed 8 trusses on the tie beams and then tipped the starter end truss up to the brace.  I used Simpson hurricane brackets to tie the truss to the plate.  I want to make sure roof stays in place during high winds because the shed will open sided 

Bruno of NH

Looks good
Make sure you follow the bracing schedule on the trusses
They need to be braced well for snow and wind loads
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Magicman

How about editing and turn that first picture in Reply #108. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

stanwelch

Magic -- I'm not sure I know what you mean.  The first picture looks just like I took it.

Bruno -- I don't have a formal bracing schedule, but I plan to nail boards between the braces to tie them together.  Also, I will nail Simpson metal diagonal bracing straps following the Simpson guide.
Do you have any suggestions that I do additionally.  I have not installed trusses since I built trusses for our garage in 1973.  Things are probably better now.  :D

fishfighter

What are going to use as roofing?

stanwelch

I'm going to put 1 x 8s on the trusses then felt paper then metal.

drobertson

Crazy good stuff there man, you will be glad for the boards, open metal and rain is just about deafening.   Your shed looks great, lots of planning and work for sure, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

beenthere

stanwelch
The first pic to us is upside-down.  But likely you are viewing it on your iPad or similar, and that device will turn an upside-down pic the right way.
PC computers don't do that.

Not sure what the answer is... as in another thread, the pics are at 90°.  All in the way the iPad or camera was held to take the pics. I think....
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

stanwelch

I opened this thread with my PC and can now see that the first picture is upside down.  I have always used an iPad to post and view this site. Didn't know that iPad would autocorrect the picture rotation. Sorry :-\
now I need some help.  I can't figure out how to rotate the picture in the post.  Thanks beenthere for the info I'll be sure to check before rotation before posting future pictures.

beenthere

You're welcome Stan.
I was guessing a bit as to what has been causing the many pics of members to be side-ways. I had a few that I took with my iPad and saw that they can be rotated in "my gallery".

Try going to your gallery and click on that pic using your PC. When the pic is enlarged, there should be a button below it that says "Crop and Rotate". Once it is right side up, then you'll need to edit that post (I think, but maybe the URL doesn't change and will be ok without editing the post).

Leads me to wonder what tag is on an iPad pic that allows it to know which is up/down.. that the PC cannot know the same thing..??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bruno of NH

I would use 2x4 bracing a strong back run down the middle nailed or screwed to each truss.
An angle brace on each gable end .
W bracing nailed or screwed on top of the bottom cord of the truss on each side.
I used to set up garage packages for a lumber yard and thats how they had us do it for the codes in NH
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

stanwelch

Thanks Bruno for the information.  I plan to incorporate most if not all of these bracing techniques.

I have a question for anyone reading this regarding Roof Board Nail Pattern

I plan to use mostly cottonwood boards to cover the trusses 1x6 to 1x8 by 8 foot.  I will stagger the seam line as I go up the roof.  All of the boards have been air dried from 8 to 10% moisture measured after planing to 7/8" thickness.  Boards are squared and trimmed to size (using my jointer and table saw--thus I can see the advantage of an edger :)).  I am going to use other hardwood boards (oak,ash & cherry) on the starter and lower runs because I don't have enough cottonwood dried and I have all these other lower grade boards.  Now the question-- I plan to put the possible cup side down and drive 2 nails about 3" apart near center of the width into each rafter on 24" centers.  The idea is to allow movement with minimum cracking.  Am I on the right track?  Any better way to nail um down?

WDH

Remember, wood cups toward the bark.  Kinda counter intuitive. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

I wouldn't worry about the sheathing boards cracking, but instead nail so the boards stay flat as possible.

Movement of the board with the metal roofing nail is what you don't want much of, as that might elongate the nail hole for a leak.

So I think I'd suggest nailing each board about one inch from the edge, and one in the middle if you think it will reduce a hump from cupping.
south central Wisconsin

stanwelch

The boards didn't cup too much during air drying.  I was able to plane the boards flat with 2 to 3 light passes on a side.  Will the boards that cupped during drying cup much after install on the roof?

beenthere

Likely not if nailed down.
south central Wisconsin

stanwelch

Got half of the trusses up this morning.  I'll finish the bracing on these today and plan to get the other eight up tomorrow.  Thanks to the help from my neighbor, we were able to get them installed in about 2 hours.  Thanks goodness for cool temps and light winds  8)

Thank You Sponsors!