iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Shed

Started by stanwelch, May 11, 2015, 09:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

I see square corners and sides that are plumb! Isn't that a crime against nature?

Looking real good. I am sure you will get many years of service and pleasure out of this structure. Keep the pictures coming.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on July 16, 2015, 08:33:46 AM
I see square corners and sides that are plumb! Isn't that a crime against nature?

No that's the timber framing way of things.....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

stanwelch

I made a lot of mistakes building this frame which I acknowledge and can expect from a novice without any training and experience. However, I was impressed how well the bents stood square and plumb by themselves.  When I measured after all four bents were secured, the frame was within 1/4" over 30 feet.  I said "close enough"
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

stanwelch

I'll be working on the roof deck next. I'm using red oak and cottonwood boards milled to 7/8 thick. Width varies from 8" to 6" by the 1/2 inch. I plan to use the same width the lengthwise on a row. I plan to start from the lower right corner (SE) above the sawmill. Oak boards will be placed first on the lower rows and then cottonwood on the upper half. I may use oak at the top few rows depending on my board count.  I plan to align the starter row to overhang the rafter end by 1 1/2" and the gable end by 1 1/2 also.

Is this a good plan?  I have not done this before. Any advice/suggestions are welcome  :)
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

Finn1903

Quote from: stanwelch on July 17, 2015, 07:33:17 AM
I made a lot of mistakes building this frame which I acknowledge and can expect from a novice without any training and experience. However, I was impressed how well the bents stood square and plumb by themselves.  When I measured after all four bents were secured, the frame was within 1/4" over 30 feet.  I said "close enough"

My father would say your frame is built like a rocket launch platform. 
WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: stanwelch on July 17, 2015, 08:42:21 AM
Is this a good plan? 

Good plan but check alignments every so often. Just in case you start to gain on one end. And compensate for that by checking your lumber and see if you have some which are a bit narrower, and use them on the end that gains. Or rip one to remove the gain and start straight again. A small gain shouldn't be noticeable from underneath when all done.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

stanwelch

Good start on the roof today. We should finish tomorrow. Shade is a good thing  :)

Magicman

Looks good but be careful.  We do not need another of us broken up.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Stan,

You are doing just a fine job on that shed  8).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

snowshoveler

Sawmill shed...
No way, thats built better and better looking than a lot of houses I have seen.
Nice job...when you get done with that 1...I have a little job for you.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

stanwelch

Thanks guys.

Magic - with age comes wisdom. I'm doing the ground work and have hired two young Amish men to do the elevation work much easier on the knees and back  ;D

Peter Drouin

Now that right there is a nice mill shed. 8) 8) 8) 8) Good job.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

drobertson

Looks absolutely fantastic,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Percy

Very nice..... well done!!!
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

stanwelch

Finished the roof Yesterday morning. Two and a half Amish men 10.5 hours to install 200 deck boards and all the metal. They did an excellent job.

LT 15 is in the shade and dry. Happy Happy Happy  8) 8)

deadfall

So nice.

Two foreign concepts there.  Cover and level ground.  I can't imagine.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

brendonv

"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

samandothers

The shed turned out great.  Now the mill will likely stay orange versus turning pinkish.

Magicman

Excellent !!!  The Logrite looks happy too.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

deadfall

Quote from: Magicman on August 22, 2015, 05:06:35 PM
The Logrite looks happy too.   ;D

I had to search a while to spot it.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

Magicman

Yup, it is visible in two of the pictures.   ;D

WDH

The sticker rack is happy, too  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I see that Jim Rogers' sawdust bucket is alive and well.   ;D

Dave Shepard

I tried to use a bucket once, but I would need a 20 gallon bucket for what I saw. :D That is a really nice sawmill shed. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

Quote from: Dave Shepard on August 22, 2015, 08:42:49 PMI tried to use a bucket once, but I would need a 20 gallon bucket for what I saw.
Didn't work for me either, but of course I am not sawing in a shed and always leave the sawdust at the customer's location.  That plus the slabs and lumber.   ;D

Thank You Sponsors!