iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT40 band moving

Started by JustinW_NZ, July 22, 2015, 06:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustinW_NZ

Hi all

Has anyone seen the band on an lt40 (or similar) move in and out when disengaging the clutch?
My mill is pushing the band out off the wheel far enough to hit the front cover before tracking it back to the wheel.
It seems really odd.

Ive just done a big alignment and tracking etc, that was a couple of weeks ago and things have been sweet since, so not sure what the go is with that?

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

Nomad

Is it doing it with multiple bands, or only one?  Might just be a screwed up band.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Chuck White

My last order of blades had one in the box that the blade ends weren't quite lined up when it was welded.

It's off by close to a 1/16", so it will be exchanged!

I used it once, but it wasn't off enough to hit the covers!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

??  I guess that I am misreading somewhere. 

At first you said that it "is pushing" and then after the alignment you say that "things have been sweet since".  Do you still  have the problem?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JustinW_NZ

To answer ;

Different bands, new or resharpened ones we had.

Alignment was done and everything was fine, its NOW doing this weird band movement issue.
So I don't think its an alignment issue unless something has come undone?

I also cleaned the band wheels and belts.
Belts have probably only done 20hours of work too, so they are not old.

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;

beenthere

Sounds like something is loose, and may be a bad bearing. Or that a shaft between bearings is moving between them when under power vs coasting.
What is used to keep the wheel axle (shaft) from shifting ?  Locking collars? Shims?  or something else?

Just guessing what it might be...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bkaimwood

My first guess was the bandwheel "toe" adjustment...
bk

Remle

Quote from: JustinW_NZ on July 22, 2015, 06:41:36 PM
Hi all

Has anyone seen the band on an lt40 (or similar) move in and out when disengaging the clutch?
My mill is pushing the band out off the wheel far enough to hit the front cover before tracking it back to the wheel.
It seems really odd.

Ive just done a big alignment and tracking etc, that was a couple of weeks ago and things have been sweet since, so not sure what the go is with that?

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Justin
Justin
One place you might want to check. With the band removed, prop the clutch lever with a short 2x4 so the brake will let the drive wheel turn. Then check the end play of the drive shaft, front to back, .045 of movement is okay and necessary per my local WM dealer. More than that may be whats causing your problem.

Solomon

Quote from: beenthere on July 23, 2015, 12:37:53 AM
Sounds like something is loose, and may be a bad bearing. Or that a shaft between bearings is moving between them when under power vs coasting.
What is used to keep the wheel axle (shaft) from shifting ?  Locking collars? Shims?  or something else?

Just guessing what it might be...

I 2nd that motion Beenthere.
I don't know how an LT 40 is set up, however, it stands to reason the WM has some way of controlling the forward to rear movement of the shaft the the band wheel turns on.  Much in the way a thrust bearing controll the forward and rear movement of the crankshaft in a combustion engine.  It is certianly worth checking it out.   Beenthere just might be on to the solution there.
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

drobertson

Justin, I may have missed the update on your drive bearing fix, if so sorry bout that, but if you changed that out and the issue started again, you might go back through that again and take another look.  It sure sounds like something is loose around the drive wheel,
remie's idea on taking off the brake pressure is a good one, it will give you a chance to inspect by hand, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

isawlogs

B57 belts... you may have some sawdust under them... remove them and clean under them.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

JustinW_NZ

Thanks for all the good reply's guys!

I dug into it today after finishing some wood for an order.

I found one of the two u clamps that holds the bearing housing was loose (one furthest from the bandwheel)
AND
There was a crack on the frame at the bandwheel end where the assembly all pivots on (I guess)

So, I'm guessing that with my last play  I left a locking nut loose and it worked free from there.

5 mins with the TIG welder will fix the cracked part and then I will need to re-retrack the bandwheel.
Its a 97 super mill but one of the first 'new shape' 40s so the tracking is a real big pain on the drive side.
I feel like throwing the old housing and bits out and ordering in the new parts that adjust at the front, coz I've got big hands and they hardly fit in there!!

I will let you know how it goes, I can post up a pic or two if anyone's interested.

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;

drobertson

good to hear you found the culprit! chasing down the weird, out of the blue issues can be frustrating for sure, have a great week end there Justin!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

JustinW_NZ

Yes, thought i had just got the best of all issues!

Have a good weekend with your family too!

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;

JustinW_NZ

After a little welding to fix the crack, and re-tightening of the bolts and re adjustment on tracking all appears well- in fact better than before I think!

Thanks for the input  :)

If your ever visiting NZ come visit, the beers on me  ;D

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;

Thewoodman

Quote from: JustinW_NZ on July 24, 2015, 04:10:10 PM

Cheers
Justin

Should have brought a Mahoe Bro!
Manuka / Radiata Pine / Redwood

JustinW_NZ

Quote from: Thewoodman on August 14, 2015, 07:12:00 AM
Quote from: JustinW_NZ on July 24, 2015, 04:10:10 PM

Cheers
Justin

Should have brought a Mahoe Bro!

its funny, every second mill I come across currently seems to be a Mahoe
Currently milling Native and I get all the troublesome stuff which suits me just fine  ;D

Cheers
Justin.
Gear I run;

Thank You Sponsors!