iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

woodmizer lt40 super drag back

Started by mikeb1079, August 12, 2015, 01:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeb1079

hey fellas, i'm finally going to have some time for milling coming up.  the previous owner of my mill had removed the board drag back and the motor on my lt 40 super.  is there a reason I couldn't fabricate a bracket with some drag back fingers like on an lt 70? or should I just pony up the money for the factory parts?  what do yall think?
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Tom L

there has been a couple of people on this site who have done just that
Bibbyman was one of them , and a couple more.

maybe try a search, useful sawmill  mods comes to mind

MartyParsons

Hello,
for safety reasons this is not available for the LT40 Super. Only on the LT70 with Command Control. I have seen some LT40 Super mills modified with this on. Where you will find an unsafe condition is when the saw head comes back it may wipe out your off bearer or give him a black eye or worse.  So be careful if you modify the mill.

Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

drobertson

No doubt if you are going to drag back be ready for it with a dedicated drag back, seen it on a few older models, but they were set up for it. it is nice to have the option to raise and lower at will, so the production level you want will dictate the way in which you may want to go.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Brucer

I think what Marty is referring to is the fingers that guide the boards, not the dragback fingers themselves.

When I wanted to add a dragback to my standard LT40HD, the only option available was a non-motorized version where you had to pull a pin to lower the dragback arm. I wanted a motorized dragback arm like on the LT40 Super but it looked like I would have to buy it as a set of spare parts.

When I decided to order the parts, Marv at WM Canada West told me he had a complete, unused dragback setup off a Super. The guy who bought the mill didn't want the dragback so Marv removed it and gave the guy a credit for it. He was happy to sell it to me for quite a bit less than the cost of all the parts.

So rather than build your own, you might look around to see if someone out there has taken the dragback off a Super and would be willing to sell it.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Rougespear

Can anyone supply pictures of how the woodmizer dragback is powered up and down?
Custom built Cook's-style hydraulic bandmill.

mikeb1079

thanks for the replies fellas, it's much appreciated.

QuoteSo rather than build your own, you might look around to see if someone out there has taken the dragback off a Super and would be willing to sell it.

this is an excellent idea
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Brucer

It's hard to get a good picture of the dragback once it's installed -- the mechanism is tucked up under the sawmill motor.

Basically what you have is a small gearmotor that drives a large (3" ??) disc via a belt drive. The disc has a stud sticking out of the face near the edge. A short plastic covered cable is hooked onto the stud and the other end attaches to the dragback arm a few inches away from the pivot.

Turning the disc pulls on the cable, which raises the dragback. There are stops to prevent the disc from turning past the high and low points. There are no automatic shutoff switches for the motor.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!