iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wallee's Milling Thread

Started by Wallee, August 25, 2015, 12:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wallee

I'm hoping to get mine cut this week so we will see how it does! I got a lot more of it in the track I'm cutting.
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

Magicman

With Hackberry, sweep the sawdust and sticker immediately to prevent discoloration.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Wallee

Quote from: Magicman on October 04, 2015, 02:23:33 PM
With Hackberry, sweep the sawdust and sticker immediately to prevent discoloration.
Thanks magicman, will do! Mainly want the cants. Got to find a market for my side lumber!!!
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

WDH

Persimmon, pecan ( smiley_devil), hackberry, sycamore, and sweetgum will test ones drying mettle  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

4x4American

How well/ easily does walnut dry?  Friend of mine is taking down two big ones today he wants me to saw them into stuff for a table he's gonna build for his house.  The table top will be 2" thick, 4x4s for uprights I think he's gonna whittle them into something fancy.  Is anchorseal a must?  I don't have any, he said he was gonna just slap some latex paint heavy on them, will that do much?  If we saw them 2 weeks after he drops them is it less of a concern to coat the ends?  How long do you figure it'll take to air dry the 2" tabletop pieces and the 4x4s?
Boy, back in my day..

WDH

Latex paint as an end sealer is not useless, just close.  You need to buy some anchorseal for future use.  2" walnut will take at least 9 - 12 months to air dry here in Georgia, depending on the season.  We get some air drying in the winter, you probably don't being glaciated, so it might take longer in the frozen, Great, White North. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

4x4American

Thanks.  So how hard is walnut to tame when drying?

Does anchorseal have anything to do with sealing boat anchors and this just happens to be a good use for it?

Boy, back in my day..

WDH

Walnut is one of the nicest hardwoods to dry.  Behaves very well if properly stickered. 

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Wallee

While we are on the drying topic, I'm getting ready to start cutting this pine for my 10 stall barn. So how long will it take for it to dry if stacked and stickered? Anyway to prevent blueing? Fill me in!

Magicman

With this cooler weather, it should not mildew.  Of course, it could already be blue, but that has no effect on the lumber's strength.  Saw and sticker it now, and build in the Spring.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

With a strong fan blowing on the stack , it will air dry in this nice Fall weather in 8 to 10 weeks. 

4x4American

Shoot I'd put it up green!  Well at least I would with EWP not sure how SYP takes to going up green.
Boy, back in my day..

sandsawmill14

Quote from: 4x4American on October 07, 2015, 09:07:58 AM
Shoot I'd put it up green!  Well at least I would with EWP not sure how SYP takes to going up green.

we built a small barn with loft out of syp 2x for framing it was sawn and dead stacked for about 2 weeks. other than being heavy we had no problems with twist or anything. never used it for siding so dont know how 1x would act green but not very well if in the sun would be my guess ???
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Wallee

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on October 07, 2015, 08:13:30 PM
Quote from: 4x4American on October 07, 2015, 09:07:58 AM

we built a small barn with loft out of syp 2x for framing it was sawn and dead stacked for about 2 weeks. other than being heavy we had no problems with twist or anything. never used it for siding so dont know how 1x would act green but not very well if in the sun would be my guess ???

Well I am working with southern pine. I dont imagine it would do well on the 1x stuff in the sun. I think I am going to go with what WDH said here.
Quote from: WDH on October 06, 2015, 08:39:56 PM
With a strong fan blowing on the stack , it will air dry in this nice Fall weather in 8 to 10 weeks. 
Now this method is in a coverd area I presume?

Wallee

Quote from: Magicman on October 06, 2015, 05:18:19 PM
With this cooler weather, it should not mildew.  Of course, it could already be blue, but that has no effect on the lumber's strength.  Saw and sticker it now, and build in the Spring.
Going to start sawing some this weekend for it! It will be a few months before any major building goes on. I still got to tear down one old shed where it will then be erected after some dirt work!

Wallee

I got a semi large order of cedar to cut this weekend. Got the wood for free off of a site I'm logging out. Owner asked if I wanted the cedar, I was like hmmm well I guess I could take it! Lol. So I got a order of 58 1/2x8x10'  cedar boards to cut for a guy to redo his closet in cedar.
Here is the wood I will be carving said boards from.

sandsawmill14

hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Wallee

Pulled the biggest out of a pile where the property line was bull dozed prior to me coming in. Talk about a possible waste!

Magicman

Clear cuts are where a great majority of the ERC that I saw comes from.  My customer is a logger.

Property line or corner trees may have nails or fence staples.   :o

Wallee

Quote from: Magicman on October 24, 2015, 08:27:05 AM
Clear cuts are where a great majority of the ERC that I saw comes from.  My customer is a logger.

Property line or corner trees may have nails or fence staples.   :o
I hate metal in trees! ah ah I will check these over now that you mention that!

bkaimwood

Pretty ERC!!! Wish I could get some...biggest one I've had was 7" on the fat butt end...a real monster!!!
bk

Wallee

Quote from: bkaimwood on October 25, 2015, 06:57:49 AM
Pretty ERC!!! Wish I could get some...biggest one I've had was 7" on the fat butt end...a real monster!!!
I been lucky then, I have had the pleasure of cutting several 18" and up!

Wallee

Does this seem normal? Am I looking for perfection and that's not real?

slider

Wallee ,so far it seems that you have checked everything others have suggested.Be sure after each pass that you check under the cant for it lifting ,on the ends or in the middle.Tension in the cant will do this every time.If you see this flip and trim like mm said.al
al glenn

Thank You Sponsors!