iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wallee's Milling Thread

Started by Wallee, August 25, 2015, 12:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

I'm willing to bet it's tension in the cant.  Ruff sawn lumber isn't perfect either keep in mind.  That's why they made planers and jointers
Boy, back in my day..

Wallee

4x4 that's what I was thinking but I will tell you this I was experimenting with this can't and I flipped it like every few cuts and still ended up like this.
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

Wallee

The start of my order of cedar. Finishing up today, delivering it Wednesday!

Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

Magicman

In my experience, it would be very unusual for ERC to show signs of stress, but you are sawing fresh felled, which I normally do not saw.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Wallee

Quote from: Magicman on October 26, 2015, 11:24:28 AM
In my experience, it would be very unusual for ERC to show signs of stress, but you are sawing fresh felled, which I normally do not saw.
Magicman what's your thoughts on those tape measurements?

Magicman

I have done much head scratching on this one.  First, you have assured us that you have a firm foundation.  If you measure the exact same from the blade to each of the bed rails (bunks) and the cant is resting firmly on each of the bed rails, then it has to saw uniformly.  If the cant ends or center lift up off of the bed rails, then that portion of the cant will be thinner.

It is hard for me to imagine that every board off of every cant is thinner in the center.  Would that mean both width and thickness?

For all practical purposes, your lumber is OK, but it still is a mystery if this measurement is consistent.  The problem is elusive but the answer will be very simple.  It's like finding something that is lost.  It's always in the last place that we look.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

Spongy ground that sinks with the weight of the head?
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Wallee

Quote from: Magicman on October 26, 2015, 02:11:16 PM
I have done much head scratching on this one.  First, you have assured us that you have a firm foundation.  If you measure the exact same from the blade to each of the bed rails (bunks) and the cant is resting firmly on each of the bed rails, then it has to saw uniformly.  If the cant ends or center lift up off of the bed rails, then that portion of the cant will be thinner.

It is hard for me to imagine that every board off of every cant is thinner in the center.  Would that mean both width and thickness?

For all practical purposes, your lumber is OK, but it still is a mystery if this measurement is consistent.  The problem is elusive but the answer will be very simple.  It's like finding something that is lost.  It's always in the last place that we look.   :)
Turned out a good bit of lumber today for the cedar order. Going to go through it all and measure it to see where we stand. Woodmizer officials are swearing its tension.

Wallee

Last cant of the day was out at a most in the center of 1/4 inch. I am going to call woodmizer one more time tomorrow and explain to them it isn't stress in the logs. You know for a company who prides itself in after sale support, I haven't had a single person really tell me anything. I am at a loss on what it could be. I would be absolutely glad if someone out there in this world could just see the problem and make me feel like a complete idiot, cause at this point I don't care I just want it fixed!

fishfighter

Recheck your center bunks. Use a pen lazar. Myself, now and then I do get a cant that will rise in the center or one of the ends that will throw everything off somewhat. Always cutting fresh fell logs. I see this more on oak then any other logs.

4x4American

What kind of soil do you have below the mill?  How did you set up the dunnage on the ground for the mill?
Boy, back in my day..

Wallee

Quote from: 4x4American on October 28, 2015, 08:09:03 AM
What kind of soil do you have below the mill?  How did you set up the dunnage on the ground for the mill?
ground is seemingly solid. It's been shed covered and walked on 20+ years. I wouldn't think it was the ground. And honestly I have scotched up the center before with wedges, in my head keeping it from sinking to no avail anyways.

4x4American

Yea, I wouldn't think so either.  Long as you didn't dig out for the dunnage and then go too deep and backfill a little bit.  If you just set it on virgin earth should be fine.  So you're making hourglass shaped cants?

Boy, back in my day..

Wallee

Quote from: 4x4American on October 28, 2015, 11:10:04 AM
Yea, I wouldn't think so either.  Long as you didn't dig out for the dunnage and then go too deep and backfill a little bit.  If you just set it on virgin earth should be fine.  So you're making hourglass shaped cants?
yep up to 1/4" out. Same thing every cant so I know something is off somewhere

Wallee

Talked to the woodmizer location in which I bought my mill. He gave me a idea and I think I might have found it. Time will tell! Soon to try this out!

gww

I kinda wish you would have shared what the ideal was.  Even if it doesn't work for you, it might help me. 
Thanks
gww

4x4American

Curious to hear also.  Let us know how it works out, I know you will anyways!
Boy, back in my day..

donny hochstetler

maybe take a straight true cant lay it on the deck drop down from the top one inch make a bold pencil mark on the cant right where yore sawblade is to run the maybe with someone running the saw and watching the blade and the pencil mark might give you an idea as to what is happening just a thought I had might b worth a shot

Wallee

Quote from: 4x4American on October 28, 2015, 10:36:42 PM
Curious to hear also.  Let us know how it works out, I know you will anyways!
Ha ha indeed I will! What I actually did was get a string out, laid it down on the actual frame down the side, not the center bunks this time. Found that right where I was having the dip, I had a dip in the bed to the string. Grabbed a wedge and drove it in, and watched as the bed rose to the string. Pulled the string down the other side and it was correct. Now to just fire her up and see what we have.  :D everyone cross your fingers!

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Wallee

No milling just yet but on a side note here is a picture of a table I built for my wife and me a new computer desk! Figured some of you might like to see what some of the side cuts have went on to. Been logging a good bit should be back to the mill this weekend!

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

That is neat, and thanks for the pictures showing the building progress.  Doesn't it make you feel proud to run your hands across it knowing that you took if from to tree to desk.   smiley_thumbsup

Wallee

Quote from: Magicman on November 06, 2015, 08:13:23 AM
That is neat, and thanks for the pictures showing the building progress.  Doesn't it make you feel proud to run your hands across it knowing that you took if from to tree to desk.   smiley_thumbsup

Absolutely the best feeling ever!!! Pretty nice feeling my wrist has as I am typing this message  8)

Wallee

Alright I got some pine on the deck to be sawed! IF you look real close you can see a new barn in those logs  8)

Pretty nice hoss of a pine here.
Here is the spot where I burned the old barn and cleaned up for new construction!

Thank You Sponsors!