iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wallee's Milling Thread

Started by Wallee, August 25, 2015, 12:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigred1951

Ok I can't help myself. Got to know about the log truck. Just from the outside I'm guessing 65-66 c70. Just a tag axle haven't seen many tandems? I wish my 51 looked that nice.

Wallee

Quote from: bigred1951 on November 10, 2015, 09:57:46 PM
Ok I can't help myself. Got to know about the log truck. Just from the outside I'm guessing 65-66 c70. Just a tag axle haven't seen many tandems? I wish my 51 looked that nice.
1966 c60 inline 6 292. 1 set of drag axles. Been a beast for the past 25 years. My Grandfather built the log bed at his shop with nothing but a torch and welder. Sadly after tons of work into the brakes and too much searching for parts, I have decided to get a newer International 4700 to convert and put my grandfathers bed on.
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

bigred1951

Sadly my 51 sits more then it's used. Seemed like if it sat for any amount of time you would have to redo the brakes. I spent almost $800 a few years ago to recore the radiator

TimGA

Nice logs,  I could be wrong but it looks like the bolts on the log deck are waiting to eat some ones shin. I think I do see a barn.
                                      Tim
TK2000, Kubota L3130GST, grapple, pallet forks, 2640 Massey w/loader (The Beast) Husky saws Logrites One man operation some portable most stationary.

Wallee

Quote from: TimGA on November 11, 2015, 03:15:13 PM
Nice logs,  I could be wrong but it looks like the bolts on the log deck are waiting to eat some ones shin. I think I do see a barn.
                                      Tim

Ha ha they are not as long as they appear! but still might could snag ya!
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

Wallee

Started the tall order of my barn cutting today. Got the pad smoothed out with the dozer and am getting anxious to begin construction. Check out what this toad of a pine log produced, 1 log.

Also while I had my hands on the dozer I made my log yard a little bigger lol.... Where the logs are sitting in the distance use to be the wood line  :D
I think I added a whole acre and a half.

gww

Looks like you are staying busy.  Good job.
gww

5quarter

Hi wallee...Another thought on your thick/thin problem. In one of your above pics, your movable guide is not tight to the cant. The further apart they are, the lower the beam strength of the blade. this can can cause the blade  to either rise or drop in the cut under certain situations. Always have those guides up tight to the cant. on a manual mill, this may take a little extra time, but it eliminates or at least minimizes the trouble you've been seeing.
   BTW...those are some awful nice logs you've got there.  :)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Wallee

Quote from: 5quarter on November 12, 2015, 09:24:37 AM
Hi wallee...Another thought on your thick/thin problem. In one of your above pics, your movable guide is not tight to the cant. The further apart they are, the lower the beam strength of the blade. this can can cause the blade  to either rise or drop in the cut under certain situations. Always have those guides up tight to the cant. on a manual mill, this may take a little extra time, but it eliminates or at least minimizes the trouble you've been seeing.
   BTW...those are some awful nice logs you've got there.  :)
Thanks for the tip there! I will try and see if that helps! Yeah these logs are turning out some pretty lumber!

Magicman

I passed close to you going and returning from the wwsjr project, but no time to stop.  Maybe next time.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Wallee

Quote from: Magicman on November 14, 2015, 11:17:08 AM
I passed close to you going and returning from the wwsjr project, but no time to stop.  Maybe next time.
Stop in next time!!! I would have loved to shown you around the mill and got some experienced advice!

dukecrazy

I'm glad I found your thread! It's nice to see yet another member somewhat close and you have TONS of pictures which is helping me out tremendously. Keep the pictures coming/updates coming!
G3033 LS tractor w/FEL, multiple chainsaws, and Central machinery sawmill.

Wallee

Quote from: dukecrazy on November 17, 2015, 09:52:29 AM
I'm glad I found your thread! It's nice to see yet another member somewhat close and you have TONS of pictures which is helping me out tremendously. Keep the pictures coming/updates coming!

I will definitely do that! I am glad my thread is helping someone out! I very much enjoy picture and videos! I will be doing a lot more videos in the near future. Everyone can check out my youtube page as well, as I will be adding more and more videos there in the near future. Got a lot of new toys coming and will update soon! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCENzErnhubwrFNwXbN2J88A

Wallee

Been working a good bit at the mill the past 2 days!
One returning customer getting a load of wood for his house!

Here is what we a currently cutting, some tie logs! All on the small side but make for quick ties. Most of these will be 6x8.

Now in this photo below, you can see to the left of the end of the mill closest to the camera operator just to the left of the mill I plan to add 2 sections of roller conveyors here to push my ties and timbers off the mill onto to make it easier to roll them down and out of the mill to be stacked.

Here is a nice little 6x8!

And the side cut lumber stack is piling up, what to do with all this random 4/4 stuff.....

Annnndd for those wondering on how the cutting for the new barn is coming, I think I have most of my rafters sawed. Now to move onto sawing some 4x6 pine timbers.

Took this one just as I was leaving the mill this evening. This little setup sure makes me smile. I just know my grandpa is smiling down on me following in his footsteps.  ;D

Magicman

I like your progress.  I often think of my Granddad when I am sawing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dukecrazy

Looks awesome, I can see you're still pretty wet from the little storm we had a couple days ago.
G3033 LS tractor w/FEL, multiple chainsaws, and Central machinery sawmill.

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

gww

I really like seeing pictures.
Thanks
gww

Wallee

Quote from: dukecrazy on November 20, 2015, 10:17:44 AM
Looks awesome, I can see you're still pretty wet from the little storm we had a couple days ago.
For sure on the wetness! I think we got a couple of inches. Good thing I had 4 truck loads of clay gravel dumped around the mill access road 2 days before. If not I would have had to be in some real wet situations. I would settle for a drought after these past few weeks.
Quote from: gww on November 20, 2015, 11:50:30 AM
I really like seeing pictures.
Thanks
gww
I will keep them coming!
Quote from: Magicman on November 20, 2015, 08:17:54 AM
I like your progress.  I often think of my Granddad when I am sawing.
I do anytime I am around anything that has to do with trees. I honestly think that man bled sawdust lol. He was hooked on cutting trees and sawing them. He loved more than anything to build houses out of his lumber. He bought a track of timber, cut it, built my dad and mom their house, and sold the rest of the lumber from that track to pay for the entire track. He built the house lumber wise, for free. He use to stand back and look at the 2 story house that he built for us, and tap me or whoever might have been over visiting (he had millions of friends) and would say "just look at it, I wish I could build just one more and I would do this or that different" he was infatuated with carpentry. If I could one day say that I had 1/4 of his knowledge of the wood industry, I would feel as if I had made it. He was a big inspiration in my life and by far the most humble and honest person to probably ever walk this part of Mississippi.

East ky logging

I'm so glad everything is working out for you. Your operation looks a lot like mine and there's not anything better than at the end of the day setting around with my son talking about how the day went and what we're going to do tomorrow and teaching him everything I possibly can while We're working together
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety- Benjamin Franklin

WDH

Your Granddad was a special man, for sure.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Wallee

Quote from: WDH on November 22, 2015, 07:43:35 AM
Your Granddad was a special man, for sure.
Thanks! I sure miss his instruction from time to time  :D

Wallee

So here is what I have been up to this past week. Just finished building this international log truck to replace the old 66. Also I added in some new support equipment!

Me and my buddy had to do some modifications to the forks to get them on the Massey, should be finished welding tomorrow!

gww

Looking good. Just keep trucking. 
gww

Wallee

Got the tractor in use already!

Thank You Sponsors!