iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wallee's Milling Thread

Started by Wallee, August 25, 2015, 12:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Just curious, those front tractor tires seem kinda small?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Wallee

Quote from: Magicman on November 30, 2015, 08:13:53 AM
Just curious, those front tractor tires seem kinda small?
Exactly what I was thinking Magicman. Dont know why because thats the factory setup.
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

Verticaltrx

Having good support equipment sure does make things go more smoothly.  8)

Question on the truck though, why the tag axle? Is it to meet axle weight requirements on the roads? When I got my C60 the first thing we did was cut the tag axle off an return it to a single axle. In the woods and around the farm it gets stuck a lot less without the tag axle.

Keep the pics coming we all enjoy them.
Wood-Mizer LT15G19

Wallee

Quote from: Verticaltrx on December 01, 2015, 07:26:09 PM
Having good support equipment sure does make things go more smoothly.  8)

Question on the truck though, why the tag axle? Is it to meet axle weight requirements on the roads? When I got my C60 the first thing we did was cut the tag axle off an return it to a single axle. In the woods and around the farm it gets stuck a lot less without the tag axle.

Keep the pics coming we all enjoy them.
For weight requirements on the road. That load pictured scaled out to 10.2 tons  8)
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

4x4American

There's a deal nearby with a Chevy C60 gasjob 350 motor, its going for a good price.  I am thinkin about getting it to haul dirt, logs, and firewood.  What made you retire yours?
Boy, back in my day..

Wallee

Quote from: 4x4American on December 02, 2015, 07:06:28 AM
There's a deal nearby with a Chevy C60 gasjob 350 motor, its going for a good price.  I am thinkin about getting it to haul dirt, logs, and firewood.  What made you retire yours?
Absolute pain in the but to keep the brakes stopping well. Wheel cylinders on the rear are 200+ apiece as well. I mostly just wanted something more reliable.

Verticaltrx

Quote from: Wallee on December 02, 2015, 12:41:48 AM

For weight requirements on the road. That load pictured scaled out to 10.2 tons  8)

I see, 10 tons is getting up there. I've had that much on mine before but 8-9 tons is more comfortable, that said mine has farm tags and therefore no weight restrictions.

I can say that the newer ('73 and up) C60's are easier and cheaper to find parts for. Carquest, NAPA, and Oriely's can get most parts if you have the P/N. I redid my rear wheel cylinders a year ago, and they were about $10 each, rebuild kit for $5, and master cylinder was $80. Mine is a '75 C60 with a 350, 4spd and 2spd rear, 14' dump bed with a twin cylinder hoist. It's a huge asset around the farm and sawmill.
Wood-Mizer LT15G19

4x4American

Thanks for your guys' inputs, sure does help!
Boy, back in my day..

Wallee

Quote from: 4x4American on December 02, 2015, 07:30:23 PM
Thanks for your guys' inputs, sure does help!
Np at all!

Quote from: Verticaltrx on December 02, 2015, 05:43:57 PM
Quote from: Wallee on December 02, 2015, 12:41:48 AM

I see, 10 tons is getting up there. I've had that much on mine before but 8-9 tons is more comfortable, that said mine has farm tags and therefore no weight restrictions.

I can say that the newer ('73 and up) C60's are easier and cheaper to find parts for. Carquest, NAPA, and Oriely's can get most parts if you have the P/N. I redid my rear wheel cylinders a year ago, and they were about $10 each, rebuild kit for $5, and master cylinder was $80. Mine is a '75 C60 with a 350, 4spd and 2spd rear, 14' dump bed with a twin cylinder hoist. It's a huge asset around the farm and sawmill.
I actually am getting a farm tag on my truck as well. We can get a farm 40k here in ms.

sandsawmill14

i have a 78 c65 that i had a 56000 farm tag on (that what it is here) but a little over 53000 is all i could ever get on it according to scales at hankins pulp yard though  ;D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Wallee

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on December 03, 2015, 12:14:16 AM
i have a 78 c65 that i had a 56000 farm tag on (that what it is here) but a little over 53000 is all i could ever get on it according to scales at hankins pulp yard though  ;D
Ha ha the more the merrier!  :D
I try and get a good load to make it worth the drive each time.

Wallee

Check out the brand new paint

Cant wait to put it to use tomorrow!

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sandsawmill14

i never had a winch but that one looks good to me smiley_thumbsup
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Magicman

:)  Looks like a bit more than "paint" to me.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Wallee

Quote from: Magicman on December 05, 2015, 09:04:03 AM
:)  Looks like a bit more than "paint" to me.   smiley_thumbsup
Ha ha indeed it is more!
Well I scored some big pine on a little urban logging. Old growth, tight rings, I can't wait to make siding out of this stuff!

Magicman

Speaking of paint, with logs like that you will soon wear the paint off of that LT15.   ;D

Wallee

Quote from: Magicman on December 07, 2015, 10:54:59 PM
Speaking of paint, with logs like that you will soon wear the paint off of that LT15.   ;D

Lol Magicman, I am pretty sure I have already cut several thousand feet on that lt15. If the good lord sees fit in the future I would love to upgrade to at least a lt40. The lt15 does the job though! I am saving those pretty logs for all siding for the barn. And I have something big in store for that Lt15 here in the next year. I hope to use it to build a new house and get out from under the mortgage monster  ;D

mesquite buckeye

Those logs are very elliptical. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball: :snowball: :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

garre1tt

Very nice looking load on your new logging truck.
Do you have an idea of the net weight of that load is.

Have really enjoyed your thread and thank you for posting for us.
I am in an area where it is all large logging operations and I think there is a
big niche for what you are setting up.
Woodmizer LT 40, 1900 Linn Lumber Band mill, massey ferguson 245 tractor, Stihl 084,066,036,370,290,018
Past owner of WoodBug CSM, Alaskan CSM,1900 Linn Lumber Band mill, Lucus 6-18 Stihl 064, Stihl 084

Wallee

Quote from: garre1tt on December 08, 2015, 12:36:18 PM

Thanks for reading through! Man you would be surprised, when people found out I was doing small acreage logging... my phone exploded  :D
Tons of people in my area were being turned down by the big timers and also some people are just wanting their little 2 acre patch clear cut for pasture or yard, I love those jobs because its free wood. I go in those and haul all the hardwood to my sawmill and all the pulp wood and trash to the log yard and sell it off. I got 2 jobs coming up where I will be getting 50+ tie logs out of small patches around these peoples 2 acres, all massive hardwood. Be on the lookout and I will definitely post up some pics of those jobs. I was at the log yard today and the man who works there asked me about cutting and selling him a couple thousand feet of pine 1x6 siding for his porch he is working on. Hope he goes through with it!

Darrel

Just sat here and read all 10 pages of this thread and enjoyed it muchly.  Subscribed to your YouTube channel and am looking forward to seeing more. Keep up the good work!

Darrel
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Wallee

Quote from: Darrel on December 08, 2015, 11:56:13 PM
Just sat here and read all 10 pages of this thread and enjoyed it muchly.  Subscribed to your YouTube channel and am looking forward to seeing more. Keep up the good work!

Darrel
Thanks I appreciate it so much! Will keep all you guys posted in my journey!

dukecrazy

Quote from: Wallee on December 08, 2015, 08:50:09 PM
Quote from: garre1tt on December 08, 2015, 12:36:18 PM

Thanks for reading through! Man you would be surprised, when people found out I was doing small acreage logging... my phone exploded  :D
Tons of people in my area were being turned down by the big timers and also some people are just wanting their little 2 acre patch clear cut for pasture or yard, I love those jobs because its free wood. I go in those and haul all the hardwood to my sawmill and all the pulp wood and trash to the log yard and sell it off. I got 2 jobs coming up where I will be getting 50+ tie logs out of small patches around these peoples 2 acres, all massive hardwood. Be on the lookout and I will definitely post up some pics of those jobs. I was at the log yard today and the man who works there asked me about cutting and selling him a couple thousand feet of pine 1x6 siding for his porch he is working on. Hope he goes through with it!

When I first bought my property several years ago it had sat unused for over 20years and had grown up quite a lot. I called around to different loggers asking them if they wanted to come clear the land for me for no charge and every single one of them told me they would have to clear all 15acres of mine for it to be worth there while. I turned every single one of them down bc I didn't want all my acreage cleared only about 5acres worth. Had there been people like you around my area I would've called you in a heartbeat! However, it worked out for me bc now I'm getting into cutting my own lumber from my property which  may not have happened had I brought someone in to do clearing for me. Great idea on the small acreage farming! Maybe one day I might get the equipment to do that around my area  :)
G3033 LS tractor w/FEL, multiple chainsaws, and Central machinery sawmill.

Wallee

Log yard is growing quite a bit this week  8)

Also here is a pic of that new skidding winch earning its keep

Thank You Sponsors!