iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wallee's Milling Thread

Started by Wallee, August 25, 2015, 12:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wallee

And for those interested here is a new video kind of showing a overview of the logging process.
https://youtu.be/asA9aX_1-fQ
Also got a very good call today. Looks like 2500 bf of that pine pictured above will be turned into 1x12x10 siding with 1x4x10 battons. Biggest order yet!
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Darrel

Nice little operation you've got there.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Magicman

I love to see a plan come together. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Wallee

Quote from: Darrel on December 10, 2015, 09:28:38 PM
Nice little operation you've got there.
Thanks! Im pretty proud of it.
Quote from: Magicman on December 10, 2015, 09:43:25 PM
I love to see a plan come together. 
You and me both brother! I will have some pics of that big stack of 1x12's here soon!
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

Wallee

I have asked this before in threads but from a couple people on here I want a simple yes of no to the question I am about to ask. Is 1/8 out acceptable, in various places throughout a cant? Yes or no?

beenthere

Who do you want the answer from?
Will any two be sufficient ?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Darrel

Quote from: Wallee on December 12, 2015, 02:05:48 PM
I have asked this before in threads but from a couple people on here I want a simple yes of no to the question I am about to ask. Is 1/8 out acceptable, in various places throughout a cant? Yes or no?
I can't speak for others, but on my mill no.  That being said, you need to understand that a perfect cant or timber is not always possible. When a log is cut, internal stress is relieved and things move, e.g. the can't, board, or slab.  When cutting large timbers, I have had them move as much as 1/2 inch. Is that acceptable? No.  Do I have any control over it?  Not much. 

So if I'm 1/8" off and the mill is the cause, I will fix it every time.  My mill only cuts perfectly because I make sure that it is adjusted and or tuned perfectly. Is all the lumber coming off my mill perfect? No, because the logs going on my mill are not perfect. 

So I deal with it.
1992 LT40HD

Kbeitz

I say yes.... It's rough cut not finished...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

sandsawmill14

hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Wallee

Ha ha ok I was just making sure. I'm a chronic overthinker when it comes to these things. I just want to produce the best I can!

4x4American

If anyone bothers you about it, it's rough sawn lumber, they make planers for a reason, but X2 to what Darrell said.
Boy, back in my day..

WDH

If I off by 1/8, I am looking for the cause.  I plane thousands of BF of lumber.  Variations of 1/8" in pile of boards makes it difficult to plane if some are on dimension and some are fat by 1/8".  The fat ones can bog my planer down if the boards are wide.  If you got a really big planer, it probably does not matter as much.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Kbeitz

I want to refine my answer. If it's off 1/8" all the time I would look for the problem.
If it's only every so often I would no worry about it.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Wallee

Quote from: Kbeitz on December 13, 2015, 01:13:38 PM
I want to refine my answer. If it's off 1/8" all the time I would look for the problem.
If it's only every so often I would no worry about it.
I am cutting a 2500 bf order of 1x12s and I am going to measure the boards at random and see what we got.

Wallee

4x4American

Looking good!!  I wanted to mention, I was reading the latest issue of sawmill
and woodlot and they covered the portable sawmill shootout in ohio.  What I noticed was, the WM LT 15 sawed at a rate of 897 bdft/hr and the LT70 super sawed at 1231 bdft/hr.  That's not too much of a differnce between WM's second smallest mill and their largest portable unit.  Granted they both had edgers behind them.  I thought you might find that interesting.
Boy, back in my day..

WDH

Nicely prepared lumber. 

On my LT15, I averaged a little over 100 BF per hour.  After adding the powerfeed and edger, production went up 50%. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

4x4American

Yea, I'm sure that WM used every trick up their sleeve but still, I thought it was interesting.
Boy, back in my day..

Wallee

Quote from: WDH on December 15, 2015, 07:30:20 AM
Nicely prepared lumber. 

On my LT15, I averaged a little over 100 BF per hour.  After adding the powerfeed and edger, production went up 50%.
Thank you! I'm averaging about 150+BF a hour on nice pine. It cuts like butter compared to my tie logs. This old growth siding is turning out fantastic looking. 1000 BF left to cut today and tonight so I got to get after it lol!
Quote from: 4x4American on December 15, 2015, 07:52:36 AM
Yea, I'm sure that WM used every trick up their sleeve but still, I thought it was interesting.
That is super neat! I plan to get a edger really soon. I highly dislike edging on the mill. I came from my grandfathers old mill with a 3 blade edger to no edger. I'm considering buying the wm single balde edger for my first edger.

Darrel

That's some beautiful pine. There's nothing prettier than lumber right off the mill!
1992 LT40HD

Wallee

Quote from: Darrel on December 15, 2015, 12:43:40 PM
That's some beautiful pine. There's nothing prettier than lumber right off the mill!
Honestly it's some of the best I have ever cut/seen. Saving some of these logs for personal use for sure! I got a barn and house to build! Barn first unfortunately lol
The grain in the old growth pine is spectacular.

East ky logging

Man that's some pretty lumber and I'm tickled to death that everything is working out for you
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety- Benjamin Franklin

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Wallee

Quote from: Peter Drouin on December 16, 2015, 06:18:23 AM
1/8 out NO
checked some of my lumber and most of it was pretty much on. I think I am overthinking the trueness of rough cut because I mean it's not s2s. The guy checked everything over and was super happy with his order so I'm in the good for now. Still learning everyday.

Here is a pic as the 2500 BF order left out.

That was a work out lol

Thank You Sponsors!