iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wallee's Milling Thread

Started by Wallee, August 25, 2015, 12:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Nice load ready to go... good tie prices now?

Another ooops on the second pic... remember "vol. button down"... ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Wallee

Quote from: beenthere on December 30, 2015, 12:25:34 AM
Nice load ready to go... good tie prices now?

Another ooops on the second pic... remember "vol. button down"... ;)
ha ha dang it! I rememberd on the first one! 7x9-33$ 6x8-16.50$
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

Wallee

Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

Wallee

Ok guys, got to the mill today and was preparing to get everything ready to start a 4200 bf order of pine. Took 3 blocks all the same diameter and took 1 to each end of the mill, pulled string tight and used the third to check along all the bunks and rail that it was sitting level. I found it to be pretty much perfect all the way down the rail and all the way down the center of the bunks. So I throw my first log of the 4200bf order on there. 16'6" and about 11" in diameter. slab it 4 times and get to the 6 inch cant. I found it to be odd looking, out of square. SO I pull my square out and sure enough it is 1/8 out..... I believe my last little order of some 2x2 cedar blanks looked the same... What are some of the things that could be occurring?? Mill bed is level I thought?!

Kbeitz

Is it staying level after the weight is put on it ?
Its easy to put a Lazer level one one end and walk
along the bed with a tape measure checking from
the bed up to the light.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

beenthere

"Out of square"  My first guess would be clamping too tight against the stops.

But don't know your routine, just a guess from reading others' posts over time and how easy that can happen.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pineywoods

In most cases of out of square, the root cause is over clamping. This can lead to bent backstops. Once that happens, it is very difficult to saw square cants. I am in the process of overhauling an lt40 for a friend. He complains the mill just won't saw square. All 4 backstops were bent outward as much as 3/4 inch. When you cut the second face after rolling the log, the face of the first cut MUST be absolutely vertical to the bunks. If you can't see what is happening, open the first face, roll and clamp the log. Then use a framing square to measure first face to bunk. If that measurement is off, find out why and correct it before putting the blade to the wood.
Out of square is mostly an operator problem....
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Wallee

Quote from: pineywoods on January 05, 2016, 09:50:01 AM
In most cases of out of square, the root cause is over clamping. This can lead to bent backstops. Once that happens, it is very difficult to saw square cants. I am in the process of overhauling an lt40 for a friend. He complains the mill just won't saw square. All 4 backstops were bent outward as much as 3/4 inch. When you cut the second face after rolling the log, the face of the first cut MUST be absolutely vertical to the bunks. If you can't see what is happening, open the first face, roll and clamp the log. Then use a framing square to measure first face to bunk. If that measurement is off, find out why and correct it before putting the blade to the wood.
Out of square is mostly an operator problem....
Not to sound smart, but its not an operator problem here. Unless you say that not checking the backstops with the square is operator error. I have done several really large logs and they could have messed with the backstops. You brought up something here that I feel will be the solution. I will post this evening and let you know if so, I am going to check and make sure the backstops are still square to the bunks. They have adjustment in the back with a bolt if I remember correct. And for the thoughts on clamping. TO be honest I have got to where I hardly clamp the logs until they get down really small, because I have found that most of the time the weight of the cant is sufficient to keeping the cant in place throughout the head travel.

beenthere

The operator does need to check... often. No one else will be around to make the cant square.  ;)
south central Wisconsin

Wallee

Quote from: beenthere on January 05, 2016, 11:46:22 AM
The operator does need to check... often. No one else will be around to make the cant square.  ;)
Indeed my friend!

So I put another log up and it was all good. I actually believe I was experiencing stress in that long small log. I did however as told and made sure the backstops were square to the bed and I did make a 1/16 adjustment on like one or two of them. They were pretty much on just by taking the advice posted above I caught them before they were bad off. I got some set up things I am going to be changing on the mill soon. I have the mill laying flat on the bed rails and not on the feet that are sent with the mill. I am considering putting the feet on so I can make minute adjustments to the bed with the turn of a wrench. I want to get the trailer package to make the mill mobile and easier to adjust but things keep popping up and we will see in time. I sawed 1000 bf today for the 4200 bf order. Worked at the mill 5 hours. Averaging 200 bf a hour seems decent to me. I spent a good bit of time on this one log cause it was max the mill could handle and was hard for me to handle. Imagine turning a 29" pine without hydraulics! I even had to break out the chainsaw and do some fancy shaving in places. But I couldn't be happier with the 74 1x6x10 boards it produced  8)

WDH

I don't care who you are, that is excellent production on a LT15.  That is getting it done.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

gfadvm

Quote from: WDH on January 06, 2016, 07:48:22 AM
I don't care who you are, that is excellent production on a LT15.  That is getting it done.

I think his age has a lot to do with that productivity :)

Wallee

Thanks! I try and pump it out!
Quote from: gfadvm on January 06, 2016, 09:23:26 AM

I think his age has a lot to do with that productivity :)
Also good help! I honestly think I could have upped it a good bit if I would of had an edger. Stopping to edge and then losing so much waste by edging a lot at once makes me sick.

Sixacresand

I agree with pineywoods concerning out of square and an operator problem.  On my LT40 if I clamp too hard on a perfectly square cant, the cant will tend to lift up on the clamp side, throwing every thing out of square.  So don't over do it.  I am definitely an living operator problem, but I sure enjoy it.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

4x4American

That is great production man.   In terms of over clamping on a hyd mill on a square cant, I generally clamp in and then bump the clamp down seems to work for me.  The hardest part is when you're squaring the cant on ether the second or third face (I usually do the third face) and your log stops are halfway up then it's hard to tell where square is because it dont always sit flush against the stops.  You can try to look for daylight but can be hard if its only a sliver off.
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

I don't care who you are, that is excellent production on a LT15. 

It is,  smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Wallee

Quote from: 4x4American on January 06, 2016, 07:06:22 PM
That is great production man.   In terms of over clamping on a hyd mill on a square cant, I generally clamp in and then bump the clamp down seems to work for me.  The hardest part is when you're squaring the cant on ether the second or third face (I usually do the third face) and your log stops are halfway up then it's hard to tell where square is because it dont always sit flush against the stops.  You can try to look for daylight but can be hard if its only a sliver off.
Yeah I have noticed through sawing a couple thousand bf here lately that you really have to watch yourself lol. And sometimes the more tired you are.... the mistakes pour out lol

4x4American

You'd be less tired with an lt40!  ;D
Boy, back in my day..

Wallee

Here is some pics of the 1000bf leaving out today.

Here is that beast of a pine.

Wallee

Quote from: 4x4American on January 06, 2016, 10:55:24 PM
You'd be less tired with an lt40!  ;D
Lol indeed! I just cant afford one, new at least lol. I am looking at options for sawmill changes in the near future. Maybe even something simple as adding a edger and some roller beds  :o

Sixacresand

Wallee,  At 24 years old, you seem to be doing something right to have the equipment you have.  Keep up the good work. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

elk42

Wallee
   I also think you are doing and excellent job with your Lt15. Sawing those large
logs your backstops will never stay square. I made a square to use to check the
log to open second face. And other mod. that has helped a log turner and clamp
both powered by 12vdc winch. Edging boards on the mill is the pits i'm with you
at this point I think an edger would help.

Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

Sixacresand

Elk42,  I like your log turning setup.   I had a similar setup on my LT10.

Kbeitz

I also like that  log turning setup... This coming summer I'm building a mill planner and I think
I'll make two machines in one. I wild not be to hard for you to make a planning attachment
for your log roller.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Deese

Wallee,

Man I have really enjoyed reading through your thread the past couple days. Bud, you are really getting after it!
Thanks for sharing with everyone!
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Thank You Sponsors!