iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wallee's Milling Thread

Started by Wallee, August 25, 2015, 12:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

killamplanes

My 5yr old and 2yrs old would have a hay day with that set of rollers. But than the hospital visit 8)
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Wallee

Quote from: killamplanes on April 20, 2016, 11:18:31 PM
My 5yr old and 2yrs old would have a hay day with that set of rollers. But than the hospital visit 8)

Ha ha Im sure my 3 year old will try and ride a board or two down  :D
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

4x4American

I know a 22 y.o. or two that like to ride the roller tables lol
Boy, back in my day..

sandsawmill14

in 20 more years you will prefer to ride belts instead of rollers they are harder to fall off of :D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Wallee

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on April 23, 2016, 07:26:16 AM
in 20 more years you will prefer to ride belts instead of rollers they are harder to fall off of :D :D :D
Hahahahahahahahahahahhahahaha!!!
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

4x4American

Wallee
smiley_wavy

How's it going down there?
Boy, back in my day..

Wallee

Quote from: 4x4American on May 22, 2016, 09:43:14 PM
Wallee
smiley_wavy

How's it going down there?

Been so busy I haven't posted in a while.... Prepare for picture overload lol

tnaz

elk42

Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

Magicman

I passed through Louisville last week and I thought about you but I was on a "mission".  Maybe some day.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red

Sounds great always good to hear from the Young Guns
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Wallee

Quote from: Magicman on July 20, 2016, 01:53:58 PM
I passed through Louisville last week and I thought about you but I was on a "mission".  Maybe some day.
I wish you could have stopped by! Make it a point next time your up!

So I have got a new toy at the mill!

Prentice 180. Man O Man does it help with loading and unloading trucks!
Here is some 2x4's I sawed last week. 500 to one person!

I got a large order of cedar to get cut in the morning! pics  to come!

tnaz

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

thecfarm

Anything to make the job easier.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Wallee

Wallee

Sooooo here we go again, Im looking to upgrade mills  :D 8)
I have outgrown my small non hydraulic mill. I need to get more footage, faster. I have been tossing a million ideas around my head and figured I would bounce a few around on here and see what responses I would receive. 1st thought, get a lt40hd and set it up with every bell and whistle offered including the stationary command center. 2nd possibly get a lt50 due to the chain log turner and vertical back stops.(I dont want to spend what it costs) 3rd I am thinking really hard about going up to a circle mill. Now my reason for this is because I have been studying the market of used sawmills and it seems as far as production goes I can get double or more for 1/3 of the price going with a circle set up. I could possibly get a full hyd circle with a few extras for 20k ish. vs. a lt40 being over 30k. Decisions, Decisions. Give me something to think about. Btw we mostly saw ties,cants, and the occasional custom order.

red

I know you just came back from a months vacation on your 90 ft yacht. But we need to see actual piles of Cash or Gold Bars . Just buy LT 70 and get it over with. Glad to hear your still growing a business.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

ozarkgem

I love circle mills. But I am a one man operation so its a bandmill for me. If you have the manpower and you are doing cants and ties seems circle is the way to go. I have seen automatics for sale in the12-20K range. Biggest thing with a circle is support equipment, manpower and lots of sawdust to deal with. Paul Case saws lots of ties and uses WM mills. Keep us posted.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

4x4American

I know a guy up north of here who has a full hydraulic bandmill, and an old circle mill, handset carriage and no turner.  His bandmill doesnt get used
much.  He can't produce half of what he can with the circle mill on his bandmill.  And he works alone. 

They are called circle mills because they run circles around our little bandsaws.

But its gonna be a whole nother thing to learn. 
Boy, back in my day..

paul case

I know that it seems like you could saw a lot more with a circle mill, and you can. You will need a few good helpers. It also takes quite a bit more to get a circle mill set up right. Also I think they are much more dangerous to work around.

I kinda keep track of production at my mill. I can tell you that when we went from a manual to hydraulic bandmill our production was up 150%. Then in April of this year we upgraded from a 94 LT40hd 25hp to a 2013 LT40 super hd 25E we doubled our production. So I decided to work on the old 94' LT40 hd that I had put a 15hp electric motor on. I souped up the hydraulics from 1 gpm to 3.5 gpm. I call it the LT40 Souper dooper hd. I have sawn ties on it that have 2 or 3 boards on each side in 8 minutes by my self. Before I could only do 4 an hour.

Think about a used hydraulic bandmill. Maybe adding hydraulics to yours like the pineywoods turner/clamp.  1 of the things that I do to get more production out of the newer mill we have is keep Scott sawing at it by loading logs up, hauling out slabs and lumber from it, or helping with blade changes to speed things along.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Wallee

Quote from: paul case on September 10, 2016, 08:56:13 AM
I know that it seems like you could saw a lot more with a circle mill, and you can. You will need a few good helpers. It also takes quite a bit more to get a circle mill set up right. Also I think they are much more dangerous to work around.

I kinda keep track of production at my mill. I can tell you that when we went from a manual to hydraulic bandmill our production was up 150%. Then in April of this year we upgraded from a 94 LT40hd 25hp to a 2013 LT40 super hd 25E we doubled our production. So I decided to work on the old 94' LT40 hd that I had put a 15hp electric motor on. I souped up the hydraulics from 1 gpm to 3.5 gpm. I call it the LT40 Souper dooper hd. I have sawn ties on it that have 2 or 3 boards on each side in 8 minutes by my self. Before I could only do 4 an hour.

Think about a used hydraulic bandmill. Maybe adding hydraulics to yours like the pineywoods turner/clamp.  1 of the things that I do to get more production out of the newer mill we have is keep Scott sawing at it by loading logs up, hauling out slabs and lumber from it, or helping with blade changes to speed things along.

PC
How many bf a day could you saw on the lt40 super? I have 2 men working other than myself.

Dave Shepard

I'm not sure how to excelsior for your situation, but this winter with one helper I cut 700 feet an hour cutting white pine timbers from 10 to 16 feet. There was a lot of side lumber, and cutting timber framing timbers means I was squaring to the bed with a framing square a lot. I also have a twin blade edger. With two guys, one of them handy on a loader, I would think 400 feet per hour as a long term average would be safe, considering cleanup and maintenance. Any more would be a pleasant surprise. Adding an edger and roller tables, and you could certainly improve on that.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!