iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wallee's Milling Thread

Started by Wallee, August 25, 2015, 12:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Material handling makes a huge difference with any size mill. 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

red

I like it when a well thought out plan comes together .
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Wallee

Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

Kbeitz

Your beams would have been much stronger if you mounted them with the flat up...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

fishfighter

Makes it easy to roll logs the way he has it.

Kbeitz

I bet it would... If you would drill some holes in the middle you could stick a point
of the cant in and push...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

4x4American

How come didn't just do that out of lumber?
Boy, back in my day..

paul case

Lumber is good.

Some situations make steel much better.  The repeated beating it will take makes steel a much better option for those runs. A neighbor of mine had railroad iron for his log ways to the mill. They never broke.
Those I beams will get so slick that if it wont roll it will probably slide. I like it.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Wallee

Quote from: paul case on October 01, 2016, 09:01:45 AM
Lumber is good.

Some situations make steel much better.  The repeated beating it will take makes steel a much better option for those runs. A neighbor of mine had railroad iron for his log ways to the mill. They never broke.
Those I beams will get so slick that if it wont roll it will probably slide. I like it.

PC
exactly what I was thinking! Plus this is done when I'm finished,  no going back and adjusting!
Lt28 Woodmizer, International 3514 wheel loader, husqvarna 450,455 rancher, and 372xp saws, 1990 international 4700 log truck, Prentice 180b knuckleboom!

Czech_Made

Quote from: Kbeitz on October 01, 2016, 04:30:48 AM
Your beams would have been much stronger if you mounted them with the flat up...

Exactly!

4x4American

I was thinking that you put the I beams the way that you did so that you could put a chain in the center and have a live log deck
Boy, back in my day..

Wallee

Quote from: 4x4American on October 01, 2016, 06:28:33 PM
I was thinking that you put the I beams the way that you did so that you could put a chain in the center and have a live log deck
That's the plan. Also the main reason they are turned that way. And because they make turning/sliding the logs easy that way. They are supported at 8 foot intervals which is by all means gracious of plenty enough to support a few logs.
Fixed up the roller beds today as well!

Ohio_Bill

Looking Good, The rollers will make a big difference and your wheel loader with forks can move a lot very  fast . I really enjoy watching your progress . Good job !
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Wallee

Finished the log deck for now. Im sure I will modify it over time to make it better. For now its ready to put some logs on!

47sawdust

The log deck looks nice,good job of bracing.
How do you like the skate rollers?I've never used them for lumber moving but they seem easier to come by than roller conveyors?
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

4x4American

give him a minute to use em first lol lol
Boy, back in my day..

Wallee

Quote from: 4x4American on October 05, 2016, 06:39:02 AM
give him a minute to use em first lol lol
Sawed a few on them today! Love them. Effortless rolling!

Wallee

Anyone have any budget minded ideas for a saw dust blower? I want to get it out of the way. I have a small trailer built that I could use to transport it away from the mill.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Wallee on October 11, 2016, 10:53:44 PM
Anyone have any budget minded ideas for a saw dust blower? I want to get it out of the way. I have a small trailer built that I could use to transport it away from the mill.

Cragslist...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

red

For a temporary solution you can use a big landscaper walk behind leaf blower . But you really don't want to be breathing in that much sawdust blown in the air . Going cheap will always cost you in the long run.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

flyboy16101

So far I have had good luck with a Harbor Freight blower (This is only temporary until i find a better blower) and some flex-able dust collector hose that hangs from a cable the length of my mill shed and rides on some small pulleys I got from the hard ware store. Used a downspout to 4 inch pipe adapter with a hing on it to replace the factory chute from Woodmizer. The only issue I had was fibers plugging up the screens on the blower so I cut them out. Then I ran a length of hose to an old gravity box outside. Seams to be holding up pretty good but you are doing a lot more production then I am a week. I think I have about $200-$300 in it not counting the gravity wagon. Big thing to remember is if you go with PVC pipe or something similar to run a bare copper wire inside as ground for static electric build up.
Wood-mizer Lt35, International 504 w/ loader, Hough HA Payloader, Stihl Ms290, Ms660, LogRite Cant Hook

paul case

This was brought up by 4x4 american somewhere lately.

I have a grizzly 2 hp 220v blower from one of their dust collector setups. Pretty durable and reasonable. I wouldnt go smaller for any type of production sawing. 4'' corrugated flexible sewer pipe will work for quite a while for a suction hose or for that matter the exhaust as well. And it is cheap. Comes in 100 ft rolls at your local big box store.

I have ran this kind of set up for 4 years and have never had a problem with static electricity. Some of the red oak lumber I cut right off the mill tests at 48% moisture. I think that is the reason static has not been a problem for me.

I did find a blower on craigslist that happened to be exactly like what I have and I bought it for $100. It is like brand new. Well it was. That was before we used it to catch the dust from sarge's mill for the last 7 months. Still looks like new and runs just as good as new.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

pineywoods

Harbor freight dust collector blower and 6 inch metal stove pipe. Couple of short pieces of flex hose where needed. Pics in my gallery and post in the sawmill threads..I just blow it in a pile out in the woods. The only problems I have had is a bad switch on the blower and the flex hose tearing after several years of use. Not much over $200 invested..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Kbeitz

A lot of people don't know about this neat little item...

Swivel Ball Joint

Grizzly tools sells it.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!