iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dozer keeps cutting out

Started by loggerman1959, August 25, 2015, 07:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loggerman1959

I have a John deere dozer , and am having trouble keeping it running . It starts and runs great for a minute then begins loosing power  until it dies altogether . It has fuel , new fuel filters , a new fuel pump , I'm stumped . Any one have any suggestions I would love to hear them .

Gearbox

Air in fuel ? broken standpipe in tank ( alltho I think JD dozers feed fuel from the bottom ]  Bad solenoid on the pump . Tell us what model and it will help . Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

loggerman1959

It's a 450 b , strange because I thought I had air in it so I cracked the lines off the injector pump to bleed them , it ran good with the line cracked , but as soon as I tightened it down it started sputtering again .

Ikeholt

That does sound odd.  Did you check the return lines?  Plugged return makes my 350 run poorly.  Some debris floating in the fuel tank around the fuel pick up possibly.

loggerman1959

What's the easiest way to solve that ?

grassfed

If possible try to run it from a fuel can and bypass the fuel tank. If it keeps acting up you have eliminated the fuel tank. I had pinholes in my fuel line where it exited the tank and had issues that only happened under load/revved up. I have also had  problems with debris in the tank clogging the fuel pickup and then falling away after the machine died. It would start and run until the pickup got clogged again.  Other than that, the return lines like Ikeholt said and triple check all of the fuel lines and fittings. Small leaks can act like that. On the return lines blow compressed air and listen for bubbling in the tank.
Mike

lynde37avery

Allways use a screen funnel when fueling. I'd go with bypassing the fuel tank to check it as well.
Detroit WHAT?

Oliver05262

If your return line from the injection pump-- the small line from the top back to the tank which is tee'd to the injector return lines-- is not plugged, try removing the fitting from the pump and run the engine. If it now runs, the fitting is probably plugged with debris from the weight ring in the governor breaking up. You would need to pull the pump off and get it repaired or get a reman pump. If this return from the pump is not free flowing, pressure builds in the housing of the injection pump and will cause it to shut down.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

kiko

Just a possibility.  An injector tip stuck open will allow combustion gas to be forced into fuel system. Could explain why it smoothed out when you had the injector line loose.

Warped

If a cracked line straightens it out it seems it's getting to much fuel in that cylinder?
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

snowstorm

the fuel line is a pretty small dia on them along with the fuel shut off on the tank can be a problem at times. take the seat off and you will see the shut off valve. and make sure the return line is ok it wont run for long or well if its pinched ect. transfer pumps can bother along with the check valves in them there is also a screen in it

HiTech

If you have any rubber fuel delivery lines they could be coming apart inside, causing  a small blockage, just enough to slow fuel delivery down. Perhaps a bad injector. Maybe broken springs or bad plungers in the Injection Pump.

scsmith42

I had this exact same problem once with a JD 550B dozer.  Turns out that someone had dropped a rag into the fuel tank, and it was getting wrapped around the screen inlet to the fuel pickup tube.

Finally I removed the tank and turned it upside down, pressure washed it and out came the rag.  That was about 13 years ago - no fuel delivery problems since.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

jonesjco

not sure about a Deere but I had a Komatsu D37 that did the same thing, There was a strainer screen in the banjo fitting on the inlet port of the fuel pump you have to remove the banjo fitting to see it I cant remember if a deere has the same thing or not it wont take long to find out. Good Luck
Gearmatic: 9 little letters that spell big aggravation

Thank You Sponsors!