iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

dead stacking

Started by arj, September 22, 2004, 08:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arj

I have some 4/4 beach air drying. It`s at 16%, how dry does it need to be before I can dead stack it in my shed?
        Thanks for your help          arj

HORSELOGGER

I would think anything under 20 % mc would be safe to dead pile.Especially inside.
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

beenthere

What is the temp and humidity in your shed?

Seems this moisture content would be a bit soon to solid pile (dead stack) your wood. Apparently you can't sticker it in the shed?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Den Socling

Beech, even American Beech can be hard to dry. I think you are safe to deadstack if you are truely at 16%. Just remember that you could be carrying bugs in with the stack.

Back to the 16%, are you getting that with a meter of by baking samples? If you are baking samples, is that a cross section or core?

As I said, beech can be hard to dry. If you have a lot of cracks, casehardening is indicated and cores could be much higher. If the core is much higher and you moved the wood to a location with a much lower EMC, you could get a lot of honeycomb.

arj

The 16% is from my meter. My shed is like an old fashion lumber yard shed long and narrow. Can`t get along side boards to sticker, lack of space is why I went this way.I`m trying to protect the wood the best way I can until there`s enough room in my heated garage to skack it and finish drying it. The shed is three sided open end so humidity would be the same as outside. So far the boards are flat. My only other choice would be leave it stickered on a skid, and cover it with canvas. It does take up more room that way, but if that would  be beter I could around the pile.
                                  arj

Buzz-sawyer

DEAD stacking is nothing but trouble IMO
I would rather stack outside under tin or tarps even ...flat stacking gives ALL the nastys a chance at ya.....
Stickers work ;)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

rebocardo

Just my experience dead stacking store bought wood for a period of time is it is easy to get mildew on and into the wood.

rvrdivr

This is a good question. Does it matter what type of wood it is before you transfer it from sticker to deadstacking? What is an adverage % of hardwood before doing this? I've done this with pine cut 4/4 and 8/4 after 5 months without any problems, but I wonder about the hardwood? ???
Thanks

Tom

Click for the handbook
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr113/ch12.pdf

Go to page 12-14 for a little info on solid stacking :)

Thank You Sponsors!