iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What are you working on?

Started by Dave Shepard, September 08, 2015, 06:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimdad07

Excellent scribe and cut work in those logs.
Hudson HFE 30 Homesteader bandmill w/28' of track
Couple tractors, a bunch of chainsaws and not enough time to use them.

Andries

I call  the project 'Big Hobbit', its 85 by 65 feet.
Two stories, the floor and roof decking are made of half logs.
All saddle notched with a "key" left in the notch.
The roof design calls for two dormers, and the centre support for the entire structure is a stone wall with eight fireplaces.
Two years ago, when we saw the plans, it was a whole lot of intimidation.  :o
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Dave Shepard

Nothing like a little intimidation to make things interesting. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Andries

It's a wonderful thing to have a model of a project.
Discussions around:
- sequence of steps
- marking logs in the yard for intended use in the building.
Thanks for the compliments guys.
Full disclosure: I only do the milling - one of our team has been  scribing and fitting logs for many many years. He's developed a rare talent.

There's a lot more to go. . . .
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Haggis

Dave Shepard

Finished this last week. Ridge beam with crotched cherry braces and tapered posts.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

peterpaul

That is really beautiful and artistic.  I like the taper in the posts, very cool.  How many hours do you think you have in ridge, posts, etc.? 
Woodmizer LT15, Kubota 4330 GST, Wallenstein FX 85, Timberwolf TW6, homemade firewood conveyor

Dave Shepard

I don't know offhand. I think there was about a day just bandsawing and preparing the crotch pieces.

Brian_Weekley

Dave, you always do nice work!   8)
e aho laula

Dave Shepard

Thanks. It helps to have nice projects. This is a Jack design. My coworker is also good at this, even though he'd rather be in the cabinet shop.

thecfarm

That also took some searching too. Not just any crotch will do.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

We cut a lot of them, and many didn't make the grade.

fishfighter

Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 17, 2016, 08:57:02 PM
We cut a lot of them, and many didn't make the grade.

Any pointers on picking the right ones?

Sweet looking work there.

Dave Shepard

They need to lay flat if you are going to saw them. It's hard to get two branches of similar diameters.

Dave Shepard

Simple plate scarf. Larch meets hemlock. Who will win the fight? :D

Jim_Rogers

Every two years or so, the NH (New Hampshire) Preservation Alliance presents a Old House and Barn Expo.

I went to that event as a guest, but got into cutting joints with the TFG on site that Sunday:

Here is the frame we completed and raised that day:

Later that year we helped the "winner" of the raffle erect her frame:

This year's event is on March 12 and 12th in Manchester, NH.
If you have a chance to stop by and say "hi" please do.

This year I'm donating the timbers for the 8x12 garden shed/kid's playhouse frame.

This past weekend we had our first "weekend workshop" cutting joints for this frame:

One thing we learned was to make sure you check and double check all your layout lines before you cut any joints:

If you'd like to stop by and help us cut some joints this weekend in Allenstown, NH please send me an email.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Dave Shepard

Jim, why the through mortise at the plate, corner post connection? I notice in your drawing the plates run past the corner post. I like that, it makes a nice joint.

Dave Shepard

Andrew's first timber project, a saw pony to go with our trestle at work. The timber frame stuff is slowly edging out the 2x saw horses, which have been remarkably tough, but ill suited to heavy timber work.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 24, 2016, 09:35:01 AM
Jim, why the through mortise at the plate, corner post connection? I notice in your drawing the plates run past the corner post. I like that, it makes a nice joint.

Do you mean tie beam and corner post? If so to provide enough relish beyond the peg hole for the rafter thrust.

Jim Rogers

Dave Shepard

Third photo down. The end of the mortise in the plate for the corner post tenon is through, or open, or whatever you want to call it. Normally there is a relish reduction on the post top tenon.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 24, 2016, 09:53:09 AM
Third photo down. The end of the mortise in the plate for the corner post tenon is through, or open, or whatever you want to call it. Normally there is a relish reduction on the post top tenon.

That was NOT one of my designs. That was designed by someone. And timber donated by someone else. I just helped with the raising and cutting of joints.

Jim Rogers

Dave Shepard

OK. It was just not what I was used to seeing.

Jim_Rogers

We had a great weekend workshop.
It was nice to have a new face, and member of the guild show up from VT to help out.
We ended up with 64.20% of the processes done.
That's a 33% gain from the first weekend.
I feel we're right on target.
All the timbers are at the park now, and we have decided on some joints to do at the event.
Also here are some photos of this past weekend.

Some timber framers go to great heights to get the job done:

Bent one test fit up was a success:

If you'd like to stop by and help us cut some joints this weekend in Allenstown, NH please send me an email.

Jim Rogers

Bandmill Bandit

Lay up of one of the head board projects for 1 of the many ladies in my life.

There are 4 more to go.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on February 29, 2016, 11:17:08 PM
Lay up of one of the head board projects for 1 of the many ladies in my life.

There are 4 more to go.

Head boards I mean!

And a Question on  what would be the best quality Adhesive of choice for hard woods? This one is birch.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Thank You Sponsors!