iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What are you working on?

Started by Dave Shepard, September 08, 2015, 06:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danreed76

And a Question on  what would be the best quality Adhesive of choice for hard woods?
I've always used Titebond with hardwoods and softwoods alike always with good results.  Tried out the "gorilla" wood glue recently and fount it to be very good as well.
Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

Bandmill Bandit

Thanks Dan

I grabbed a bottle of each yesterday. I have used tite bond on all my soft wood projects but never tried the the Gorilla product before.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

fishfighter

So Dave, what are you framing up? Floor plan pictures? That is one heck of a project.

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Remle

That's not cheating, its putting your best face out for all to see. ;) ;)

logman

36x96 Douglas Fir event barn

LT40HD, 12' ext, 5105 JD tractor, Genie GTH5519 telehandler
M&K Timber Works

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Remle on March 02, 2016, 01:01:58 PM

Cheetah, as in speedy cat, not cheater. ;)

grweldon

Quote from: logman on March 02, 2016, 01:19:21 PM
36x96 Douglas Fir event barn

Wow!  That's quite an ambitious project!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Jim_Rogers

Today, Saturday the 5th was our 5th day cutting joints for a 8' x12' garden shed/kid's playhouse frame that will be raffled off at the Old House and Barn Expo next weekend the 12th and 13th in Manchester, NH.

Check this out.

http://www.oldhouseandbarnexpo.org/old-house-and-barn-expo/

When we bore holes for pegs we usually "draw bore" them; sometimes we learn that draw boring in the wrong direction pushes the joint apart instead of pulling it together.
To solve that issue we plug the "wrong hole" and re-bore the "new" peg hole.

We attempted that today:

Above you can see the oak peg we glued into the wrong hole and then cut off flush with the tenon check. And the new hole we bored.

Here we are doing a test fit up of a bent:

The pegs we only pushed in enough to hold it together up tight and true. Afterwards we pushed them out and disassembled the bent.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Brad_bb

Nice Dave!  It's good to see others using "organic" pieces in their frame.

Right on Jim.  As long as you have enough good shear left, plug it and rebore it.  Many braces are usually in compression anyway.  Pegs are often to hold them during assembly.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Remle

Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 02, 2016, 03:02:34 PM
Quote from: Remle on March 02, 2016, 01:01:58 PM

Cheetah, as in speedy cat, not cheater. ;)
A-ha, I see what you are saying ( just had to clean my glasses and unwrap my tongue from my eye teeth ). Sure draws attention to an otherwise square angular dull brace. After all IMHO you are doing it to add style/flare or what ever so people will notice it, it works for me keep up the great work..

Khaameleon

Do I get my beginner timber framer merit badge now?

"When we build, let us think that we build forever." -John Ruskin

Bandmill Bandit

Assembled and second coat of varnish applied.

The little lady is very happy with it and her mother is very jealous. I feel another head board coming on.

The daughters and the daughter in law are jockeying for position now. AND they are not playing fair. They all cook real well and they all know grampas weakness. There are offers of cinnamon rolls, butter horns, pachindla, Krepple, Donuts, Perogie dinner, Strudle, Kuchen Etc. I may die before I get finished from food over load.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Jim_Rogers

This past weekend we worked again on the joints for our project garden shed/kid's playhouse frame that will be raffled off at the Old House and Barn expo next weekend.

We got another 11.39% of the joints done which brings us up to a little over 75% of the total job done.
We will do the rest during the two day expo event and raise the frame just before it's raffled off at 3pm on Sunday.

You are welcome to join us at this event and see a frame being cut and or raised. And if you buy a raffle ticket you'll even have a chance to win this frame.

Here are some pictures from this past weekend.

Trimming a brace housing:

Bent fit up testing:

And yours truly showing how to check a tie beam housing with a framing square:

A new face this weekend was a familiar face to many New Englanders. One of my students for several years has been Pete Bouchard a tv news weatherman.

He is a good woodworker and learns fast.

Jim Rogers

frwinks

six years later, finally putting finishing touches on the staircase

Brian_Weekley

Quote from: Khaameleon on March 06, 2016, 09:40:44 PM
Do I get my beginner timber framer merit badge now?

Absolutely!  Nicely done.
e aho laula

Dave Shepard

Cheetah brace in situ:

Bandmill Bandit

!st head board DONE!! 8)

AND installed ! 8)

My next framing project will be a couple of timber frame saw horses. I think I have the methodology down to where I am willing to tackle the biggar peices now.

Jim_Rogers

Nice job on the head board and cheetah brace.

Jim Rogers

scully

What a great topic ! After seeing some of the amazing things here I get very inspired . I love that timber frame table base !
I bleed orange  .

Jim_Rogers

Yesterday, and my first April weekend workshop I taught the host how to cut a tenon on his ridge beam supporting post, we have called a "king post" but it technically isn't a king post.

Also, I just completed, this week, assembling a new tool. I have a friend/timber framer from NH who made one of these for himself and I decided to see if I could make one, too.

I got the parts and went to a local machine shop and had him cut the slots for me.

And I'm pretty happy with the way it came out. We have discussed making some improvements. But we haven't done any of them yet.

Here is a picture of the "tenon checker":

During the cutting of a frame you create several different size tenons. And this device can be adjusted to fit all sizes and if you can slide it over the tenon then it is the right side. If you can't slide it over the tenon then it needs to be trimmed or improved to make it the right size.

As of right now, I only have a drawing of the slots in the framing squares.

I hope to do a video showing how to use this tool to check tenons.

What do you think?

Would these be something you'd be interested in using?

Due to the cost I don't think that this tool would be something that everyone would want to spend the money on.
And I don't want to violate the Forum rules and post this as an ad for this tool, so this is not an ad for selling this tool.
Just a question on whether or not you think you'd like to own one.

Jim Rogers

Khaameleon

Jim,

I got to use the "prototype" version of these at the expo last month and it was pretty slick. Way faster and easier to use than the stair gauges I've been using with my squares. Making a set of these has been on my to-do list, but I'd definitely buy a set if they were available for a reasonable price.

-Kyle
"When we build, let us think that we build forever." -John Ruskin

stumax

I got all my middle braces up.

Thank You Sponsors!