iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

18 or 20" bar for 55r

Started by Wrace, September 28, 2004, 07:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrace

I'm ready to order a Husky rancher and am trying to decide which bar length to go with. I already have a 14" saw that can be used for some limbing work.

The Husky will be used for cutting rounds from downed trees, limbing, and some falling of trees. The trees will be in the 16-20" range I'm guessing, possibly bigger. I haven't had a real good chance to inspect the acreage we just bought.

Seems like the 18" would be the best match for this saw in terms of ease of use when cutting fire wood from downed trees? On the other hand the 20" would provide some more "reach" on the larger trees.

What do you think I should start with???

Thanks
Wayne

Tom

I would opt for a 20" bar only because I have used one successfully for years and only occassionally wish I had a longer one.

My saw is a Husky 61.  I was told when I started that I should shop for a saw in the 4 cubic inch range.  Today's apparent equivalent to the 61 is the 365.  I would be looking at that saw if it were me.

I have friends with 55's who use them  for small logs and love them.  I do hear them wishing for more power sometimes. :D

A "sharp" chain overcomes a lot of ills.  

DanManofStihl

I would say go with the twenty inch bar it has enough power to pull it as long as the chains sharp. It is better to have the extra two inchs when you need it.
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

oldsaw

other than that.  Both will seem to handle the same.

You would have to check the bar to make sure a 20 isn't an 18 or vice versa.  Now 18 to 24", you would notice.

So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Thank You Sponsors!