iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to the forum

Started by OldRedFord, November 08, 2015, 03:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldRedFord

Hello. Come across the forum reading up on handset sawmills. I like older farm and construction equipment and enjoy working with my hands.

In the next two years I hope to have a mill of my own.

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

You may also enjoy this pub'n on circular handset mills.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/misc/circsaw.pdf
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dgdrls

Welcome to the FF, glad to see another circle saw fan,
Take a look at FF sponsor The Sawmill Exchange
its a good place to start learning the sale market for a handset mill.

Dan

Ga Mtn Man

Welcome to the forum OldRedFord.  Always good to see another Georgia boy on here.  You're not too far from FF member Red Clay Hound.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Sixacresand

Welcome to the Forum, Oldredford. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

samandothers

Welcome to the FF!

Hope you find a saw you like!

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Oldredford!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

Welcome. Glad to have you.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

jmouton

welcome  to the forum

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

rooster 58

Welcome to the forum  oldredford

OldRedFord

I'm not quite ready to buy but came across a Frick sawmill. All the wood has been replaced with steel. Waiting to hear back from the seller. Asking $2500...my curiosity is way up.

OldRedFord

What would be the best way to go about learning the ropes of running a mill?

Nomad

Best way would be to find somebody near you and offer a day or two of free labor at their mill.  Tell 'em what you're thinking about doing.  Most would be happy to do that, I think.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Lambee10

Welcome to the forum. 

I told my story before but found a Belsaw in the woods the next county down on a farm.  Trees grown up through it and was left as is for 15 years.  I made a deal to get it and see if it would work so we got a backhoe and pulled it out.  I got it on my farm and have had more fun with it than people understand. 

Old stuff is cool.  every nut broke loose to adjust it, new belts and new teeth.   8) 8)
cutting like a fool for a fool cutting
All animals like me...at feeding time.

M-14 Belsaw and the toys to go with it.

deadfall

Great story, Lambee10.  Glad you retold it.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

OldRedFord

Quote from: Lambee10 on November 10, 2015, 04:45:02 PM
Welcome to the forum. 

I told my story before but found a Belsaw in the woods the next county down on a farm.  Trees grown up through it and was left as is for 15 years.  I made a deal to get it and see if it would work so we got a backhoe and pulled it out.  I got it on my farm and have had more fun with it than people understand. 

Old stuff is cool.  every nut broke loose to adjust it, new belts and new teeth.   8) 8)
cutting like a fool for a fool cutting

I love old iron and am always working with my hands.

On the craigslist add...I never got in touch with the seller. I found it odd that they didnt have a voicemail set up.
I had hoped to also ask about good places to buy logs and what the market is like in this area.

logs2lumber

Thank You Sponsors!