iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Hydraulics

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, November 25, 2015, 05:36:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Had just finished the last edging on a Cedar Job this afternoon.

BAM....HD went stone cold dead.
Called WM and together we went through the trouble shoot.

Conclusion, the solenoid went bad and possibly the micro switch. They are shipping me new parts now and will be here Monday. Simple fix.

My question.....what causes a solenoid to go bad?  say_what

Thanks Woodmizer!

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

snowshoveler

In my world of lawn and garden equipment.
A solenoid failure is almost always caused by a low voltage condition.
Check grounds first and go to battery and alternator next.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

bkaimwood

Typically, solenoids fail due to their own design, in other words failed contacts, or open windings....but I think I know what your thinking...what is the root cause of the problem,  the one that caused the solenoid failure? In most solenoid failures, there is none...I wouldn't sweat it for now...
bk

Nomad

Which solenoid?  They do give it up.  Last one I had go out had a wire break internally and it worked when it felt like it.  Gave me fits for a couple of weeks before I finally found it.  These are not the most robust solenoids on the planet.
     It is possible it's the switch, but that would be easy to troubleshoot.  just jumper around it. 
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Kbeitz

Most of the time a solenoid quits because the copper bar wears down so it does not touch the two lugs anymore.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

kenlt30

The diode on my hydraulics solenoid went bad, allowed current to flow both ways. Disconnecting the diode is a temporary fix after replacing the switch. Shorted diode fries the switch.

Kbeitz

Diodes are cheap... Put one like this on it and you wont need to do it again...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

The diode shown above does not apply to the solenoid in question.

David, be sure that your contact strip is clean and shiny and the contactor is moving freely against the spring and is not badly worn.  Also your ground contact on the bottom rail.  Without good contact in both locations means low voltage and high amperage which will put a real strain on both the solenoid and your hydraulic pump motor.  Since you had a hydraulic motor failure in the not too distant past, I would really look closely at both of these contactors.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on November 25, 2015, 07:55:19 PM

David, be sure that your contact strip is clean and shiny and the contactor is moving freely against the spring and is not badly worn.  Also your ground contact on the bottom rail.  Without good contact in both locations means low voltage and high amperage which will put a real strain on both the solenoid and your hydraulic pump motor.  Since you had a hydraulic motor failure in the not too distant past, I would really look closely at both of these contactors.

Good advice.  :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I am getting good voltage going to the solenoid. Then I crossed the 2 large connectors and the motor ran strong.
I will check everything from strip to ground. Even if thats not the problem, it will not be a bad idea to clean things while waiting on a part or 2.

Is there a Solenoid compatible at O'Riley's, Auto Zone or Advanced Auto?

YellowHammer

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on November 25, 2015, 08:05:01 PM
I am getting good voltage going to the solenoid. Then I crossed the 2 large connectors and the motor ran strong.
I will check everything from strip to ground. Even if thats not the problem, it will not be a bad idea to clean things while waiting on a part or 2.

Make sure you check the voltage drop across the main terminals while under load.  Also, check the trigger voltage before and under load.  Many times that is the culprit, causing a little chatter.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: YellowHammer on November 25, 2015, 08:39:56 PM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on November 25, 2015, 08:05:01 PM

Make sure you check the voltage drop across the main terminals while under load.  Also, check the trigger voltage before and under load.  Many times that is the culprit, causing a little chatter.

I'm learning. Thanks YH

WV Sawmiller

David,

May be different issue than yours but I had intermittent hydraulics failure and had to keep moving the head till I found a live spot on the strip. Was a real PITA. I had sanded down burnt spots from arcing (Caused by me moving the head while working hydraulics before I knew better), sanded the bottom rail and coated everything in dielectric grease. None of these tips worked well. Called WM electrician and he was almost brusque in telling me to move the contactor over 1/16" of an inch closer to the strip. I did and it has worked perfectly ever since.

Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Kbeitz

Quote from: Magicman on November 25, 2015, 07:55:19 PM

Why does a solenoid even need a diode ?
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

The solenoid has a small diode across the primary to prevent arcing and increase the life of the microswitch.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

Quote from: Magicman on November 25, 2015, 11:00:44 PM
The solenoid has a small diode across the primary to prevent arcing and increase the life of the microswitch.

Ok... Got it...
What you need is a  Zener diode.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

danreed76

Must be something in the air... I went out to fire the lt-40 up yesterday and halfway through bringing the loading arms up it went quiet.  Got the meter out and found the solenoid wasn't closing.  I had one in the tool room, as I have slowly collected some of the "recommended spares".

Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

Magicman

Yup, I replaced a solenoid a couple of months ago.  A couple of spares are always in the truck.   ;D

Dave Shepard

If it's the solenoid near the battery box, you can move the left cable to the right lug to bypass the solenoid. Your hydraulics will be live whenever the head is on the strip, even if the key is off. If you lose the one (or two on Supers) in the hydraulic box, you could steal the one in the fuse box, and bolt the two cables together in place of the solenoid. Not ideal, but would get you through a job in an emergency.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

Good point Dave for a get-by fix.

The older non-SuperHydraulic LT40's did not have that solenoid beside the fuse box and the hydraulics are hot any time that the head is on the contact strip. 

Just curious, are the newer non-SyoerHydraulic LT40's equipped with this solenoid?

Dave Shepard

The '99 standard hydraulic at work has the solenoid in the fuse box by the battery.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

OK, then it is probably a feature from then on.  WM made many upgrades in mid 1998 that carry through to today's version.

red

Sawyer has way to much Voltage. . .needs to be better Grounded.  . that's what I was told many times.. happy turkey day
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

slider

David i don't think you will find that solenoid at the local parts house.I did some research on line and found that wm was about the same price as others.
al glenn

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: slider on November 27, 2015, 08:33:38 AM
David i don't think you will find that solenoid at the local parts house.I did some research on line and found that wm was about the same price as others.

Thanks Al.  smiley_thumbsup

Thank You Sponsors!