iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anchorseal question

Started by scleigh, December 08, 2015, 07:27:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scleigh

Excuse me if this has been covered before, I searched and couldn't find an answer.
Is one coat of Anchorseal enough or should I apply 2 or 3 coats? I checked the UC Coatings website with no luck and the container had very little instruction.
Thanks for any advice, Chad

WDH

I just use one heavy coat, and I have had very good results. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

scleigh

Thanks WDH, I coated the ends Sunday afternoon and just went out and checked the logs.

This pile of cherry and maple seems ok with one coat, ends feel waxy .

The Anchorseal seemed runny when I applied it put seems to be a lot  better than the latex paint I had been using

YellowHammer

I also use one thick coat either brushed or sprayed.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

flatrock58

Would be nice to get together and split a 55 gallon drum with some members.  Highland Hardware in Atlanta shows a 55 gallon drum of Anchorseal 2 for $500.   A lot cheaper price per gallon, but too high without sharing. 
How long does a 5 gallon bucket of anchorseal last?
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

OffGrid973

Depending on wood type sometimes I hit it twice but that is because my wood supply is limited.   That size whack and one coat should be fine in my opinion.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

WDH

I like the original Anchorseal better than the Anchorseal 2.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

One heavy coat or two lighter coats giving the same total coverage  and thickness of the coating is fine. Never apply a really thin coating like you were painting a house wall.  The coating must slow drying really well which means thick and continuous coverage.  Some people spray on the material, which means two coatings as you cannot spray thick enough with just one.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

scleigh

This was my first time using Anchorseal, so please bare with me and the questions. I bought the 2 gallon size and maybe used a couple of inches worth of the bucket. Does this stuff keep well, as long as lid is sealed properly? With a very limited amount of time to actually saw, I can see me using no more than 5 gallons a year.

petefrom bearswamp

My last 5 gal bucket is now 4 yrs old and still good.
Dont let it freeze.
1 coat is all I use brushed on liberally .
I assume it is the original formula
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WDH

It ages very well, unlike some of us. 

Al_Smith

Now it's good stuff and I've used it .Fact I've got about a half a 5 gallon bucket of it  left.

Here's my problem ,it's sometimes several years before I get the logs milled, the stuff falls off, rain gets it whatever .

What won't fall off is foundation  sealer which is cheaper than anchor seal .You just cut a cookie off the logs before they get sawn , couple days week prior .Anchor seal that and then mill the logs .That way the planks remain sealed .---so far it's worked .

scleigh

Thanks for the replies.
I've been keeping the Anchorseal in the basement instead of the shop, even though we haven't had but a handful of nights below freezing this  fall.
I bought a couple of loads from a logger; a good bit of cherry, cedar and a little walnut. I figured it was time to put away the latex paint :D

WDH

Good deal.  Throw the latex paint away.  Happy sawing. 

YellowHammer

Good decision, latex paint is for painting, log end sealer is for sealing logs, especially ones you paid for ;D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!