iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

log grapple plans

Started by kenmie, January 12, 2016, 08:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenmie

I am looking for a good set of plans to build a dangle log grapple, good for about 1500lbs, roate360, 3inch grip. Anyone there to help is appreciated.
Ken

frenchy

Not sure if we could find that as Farma is a sponsor?

Stuart Caruk

Gee, it's not like they could look at a picture of a Farma Grapple and build there own. Farma makes good looking stuff for sure. Somehow I think they're secure enough not to worry about a guy building their own. The reality is that most people would spend the cost of a finished grapple just to build their own, and it wouldn't work as well. There are a few people who could do it for cheap, but they would have to have decent equipment.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

47sawdust

I'm very happy with the Farma grapple I have.I would not be able to build one for what I paid for mine.Perhaps you have the equipment and fab skills that I don't.Good luck
 Check them out here

https://grapples.ca/
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

nativewolf

Stuart Clark is quite the builder, compared to most, so his input is probably the best so far. 

I haven't had the full compliment of coffee so I edited a post.  Do you mean a grapple that would attach to a skidsteer, the rear of a farm tractor?  or something that would sit under a logging arch.
Liking Walnut

Stuart Caruk

Thanks, I can build just about anything I need, but I learned a long time ago that it's hard to beat a man or company at their own game. I'm pretty sure I could build a Farma grapple, but If I needed one, given what they cost, I'd just buy it. My time is better spent earning money in my CNC shop.

When I built my LX450 extension I chose to buy components from Woodmizer because they were simply cheaper than I could possibly build them myself for. I only built the extension because it wasn't available otherwise. In retrospect, I wish I'd just bought the bed rails for example. 
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

mike_belben

Some folks have more time than money. 
Praise The Lord

Stuart Caruk

There's a guy here that sells a log loading trailer with grapple plans...

Buildit plans home

Years ago when I was building thumbs, rippers, brush blades, etc. I'd often swing by a dealers yard and look at the newer innovations. Often I would take a yardstick along and set it next to something like a thumb on an excavator.

It's a simple process to bring that photo into a program like Corel and trace the outline of the tool you want so that you now have a vector based (scaleable) drawing. Trace the yardstick as well. Export the trace to a cad program. IN the CAD program adjust the scale so your yardstick actually measures a yard long. Everything else is now to scale and you can draw whatever you need. Shift your drawings to use the materials you have and you're ready to start cutting materials... 
Stuart Caruk

47sawdust

Stuart 
Thanks for posting the link.Even if i never build a loader that set of plans provides a visual on how things go together.
The yardstick idea is also excellent for getting things to scale.As a builder my camera is always with
me when I look at remodeling jobs.A picture of one detail that has measurements to scale provides a reference to go by .
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

711ac

I was going to build one the size you are describing but there's no way around (buying) the 360* rotator. That was almost 1/2 the cost.
Both were about $2300. I have pics & critical dimensions that I sent to another guy/forum but he has computer skills, unlike me (cad). For me that stands for cardboard aided design.
He sent me the finished CAD file, I'm just too dumb to figure out how to open it :D

47sawdust

The one I mentioned above is $1900.00 delivered,Closes to 2.5'', 34'' 0pen,2200# capacity,360°
 rotator.I've owned this grapple since last fall.I didn't buy the rotator at that time but it is in transit now.
Mick

Skeans1

Quote from: 711ac on April 16, 2018, 02:27:51 PM
I was going to build one the size you are describing but there's no way around (buying) the 360* rotator. That was almost 1/2 the cost.
Both were about $2300. I have pics & critical dimensions that I sent to another guy/forum but he has computer skills, unlike me (cad). For me that stands for cardboard aided design.
He sent me the finished CAD file, I'm just too dumb to figure out how to open it :D
Look up fusion 360 it's a cad/cam program that might help you open the file. 

Stuart Caruk

Look up my email address and send me the file. I'll open it and kick it back to you as a .PDF. 
Stuart Caruk

711ac

Quote from: Stuart Caruk on April 17, 2018, 02:49:21 AM
Look up my email address and send me the file. I'll open it and kick it back to you as a .PDF.
PM sent, I'm in if your willing to babysit me through this. Where do I find your email?

Stuart Caruk

Stuart Caruk

711ac

I sent you 2 files this AM.
I've had them for over a year and am curious. 

Thank You Sponsors!