iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Offroad Lumber Hauler

Started by 4x4American, February 11, 2016, 08:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

I need to haul quite a bit of lumber up steep, rocky terrain.  The
biggest piece is a 3x14x24' while most is 10-12' dimensional and a lot of 3/4".  I have a little goat trail for 4wheeler and it's real rocky, steep, and uneven.  But it is passable.  I have two of those craftsmen dump trailers tbat pull behind a garden tractor, was gonna connect em together and span the lumber but I don't think they have enough ground clearance and most of the tires are pretty well shot.

Any suggestions?
Boy, back in my day..

beenthere

Strip down an old boat trailer that has the long tongue.. strap just enough lumber on to make a load that can be towed... and make as many trips as needed..

or get the goat..
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WV Sawmiller

4x4,

I made a rear axle I use when needed with my logging arch. It is about 28" wide, schedule 80 pipe for axle, a V shaped cradle welded between the wheels to hold the log, 1" bolts welded to/inside the pipe/axle to connect pneumatic tires with 1" bearing openings. I lift one end of a log (would work same with a beam or board) and strap it tight with a ratchet strap then go lift and tow the other end. See below. Would this work for you?

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Peter Drouin

Rent a small backhoe and fix the road, Here it's only $300 a day,
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

4x4American

BT:
I like that boat trailer idea alot.

W(BG)V:
I think that's more than I can chew at this point in life!

Pete:
I was thinking to rent a mini ex.  The thing is that the way I go to get up there currently on my wheeler I have to go onto my neighbors property, which I have permission to do.  I'm not sure what he'd think about me going in there with a mini and doing that.  There is a way to get there on my prop but it is steep and it's ledge.  Currently I can't get up there on my wheeler.  Especially after I flipped it last year and broke my collar bone and ribs.  Got a little bit of shell shock from that incident.

I guess the only other option I have is to fly David Poston out lol

Boy, back in my day..

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: 4x4American on February 12, 2016, 07:02:36 AM
  Currently I can't get up there on my wheeler.  Especially after I flipped it last year and broke my collar bone and ribs.  Got a little bit of shell shock from that incident.

I guess the only other option I have is to fly David Poston out lol

Sorry about the wheeler accident. I have flipped mine end over end twice and rolled it several times (Usually just laid it on its side). Always righted it and it cranked right back up. Tough machine.

As to bringing in David Poston how will that help? Is he going to set up a goat train to pack everything in?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Raider Bill

Flipping and rolling sucks.

Forget the Dang Goat. Rent a big bull dozer.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

sandhills

Then bring the goat in to put the fire out  :D.  (sorry RB, couldn't resist  :))

gspren

Without actually seeing the trail I'm not positive but I'd probably buy/build a trailer for the 10-12' lumber then for the 24' piece I'd put one end on the rear rack and drag the other. If I was concerned about some cosmetic dings and gouges I'd screw some 1x scraps on the bottom last few feet.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

terrifictimbersllc

Logging arch with tow tongue and winch cable could do it, if you're thinking about one anyway.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

starmac

Wheelers are a must have, but not great for towing big loads, most folks here wait for winter and use a sled to haul their building materials in.

I don't know how tight your turns are or how narrow your trail is, but renting a small dozer (350/450 class) would be a cost effective option, if you could get your neighbors permission.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Peter Drouin

Rent a big ex. :D :D :D :D and make all the roads at one time.
I thought you were working for a digging out fit from time to time.
Maybe he can help. Get all the trees cut first, then come in with the ex and pile the logs as you go.

It will do a lot of work in a day. And don't push the trees over with the ex, It will hurt the saw logs or squeeze too hard with the thumb.
Don't ask me how I know.I did cut the ones in the pic. :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

Yea them excavation boys are coming over with a 700h dozer and a 15-20 ton excavator soon.  But we wanna build the cabin now, cause once they leave it's go time for building the sawmill shed.  Plus somewhere to sleep at night is nice :)
Boy, back in my day..

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

4x4American

So do those smileys mean you think I should just wait til the excavation boys stop over?  Lol

I'm too impatient!
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

What's the matter beenthere  :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

drobertson

Boat trailer is one of my go to's for around here,  it has a flat deck on top, pretty handy and somewhat light weight .
the 4 wheeler pulls it around pretty good,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

red

Acme Dynamite as per Wile E. Coyote
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

21incher

A simple Zip line that has a carriage for the wood with a winch or long cable to the 4 wheeler. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Thank You Sponsors!