iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Modifying log dogs?

Started by Satamax, March 08, 2016, 04:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Hi everybody!

I have bought this saw last year, without log dogs.

Last saturday, i've bought three log dogs from a vertical sawmill. Without motors.

They are too long. The screw is floating in there. so the top dog would screw down until it touches the wood, and then the screw drags the bottom dog back up, until it gets tight. So the screw sticking out at the side, if used horizontaly, would interfere with the saw's pilars.

What should i do, fix the "bottom" dog, cut the screw and it's tubular protection at the end? To make this fit on the saw? Or i go another way, stuff a pneumatic ram in there and ditch the screw completely?

Thanks a lot for your opinions and advice guys.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Satamax

Another thought,

I'm not too keen on using hydraulics, as the tubing costs an arm and a leg too.  Tho, I have two rams which could do the job. And in the mountains where I live, hydraulic power units are quite common. And rams are cheap too.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

ozarkgem

That is one heavy duty looking set up. How many horse power is the motor? It looks a little small for everything else being so massive. No help on the dogging system. What kind of trees are you sawing?
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Satamax

Hi Orzakgem.

The motor is 22KW 415Vac Not the toughest, but with stellite bands, it should work all right. I could get a 40kw may be. But would the future generator cope with any bigger than 22kw, dunno.

It will saw mostly euro larch. Arolla pine, Pinus uncinata and the likes. May be a little wild cherry, ash, beech. Lime and silverbirch may be. Nothing much else worth cutting grows here. Sometimes we can get some spruce too.

Hth.

Max.

Satamax

Question readers; does the log dogs on horizontal saws float  a bit to adjust to the possible unevenness in the log? Or one of the two claws is always fixed at a certain spot? Because if I go for one fixed end, it makes my life far easier.

Thanks a lot.

Max.

ozarkgem

can we get some more pics of the mill? the backside, feed system , head movement and such. Does it have hydraulics now? Is it a factory rig?  thanks
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Satamax

Quote from: ozarkgem on March 09, 2016, 08:55:52 PM
can we get some more pics of the mill? the backside, feed system , head movement and such. Does it have hydraulics now? Is it a factory rig?  thanks

It's a factory rig.

From LBL Brenta nowadays. Started out as another company, called scies CD.

Here's their actual leaflet: http://www.lbl-brenta-cd.com/doc/19_cd-bandsaw.pdf

Here's a vid of a later one in action. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6tjDJ14GCY

This is a pic of the back.

The head movement is manual rack and pinion on the back columns; And the head movement is an auxiliary electric motor, with chains on all four rollers.

HTH.

Max.

ozarkgem

its a beast for sure. I would go with hydraulic motors for the dogs. You will still have to have some back stops for turning the logs. Looks like some bed cross members also. Beautiful country you are in.

Ron Wenrich

I've always been partial to hydraulic.  One advantage is the ability to feather your controls.  If you're planning on adding the chain style log turners, the hydraulics will come in handy.   You could fix the bottom dog, if it works for you.  On a vertical mill, the bottom dog floats a bit, but it doesn't move that much.  About 6".  You aren't cutting in that plane, so you don't have to put that much taper in it.  You should have a taper adjustment someplace to help center your heart.  A hydraulic ram could take care of that.  The air tapers I've run have either been on or off, where the hydraulic ones you can adjust better.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Satamax

Thanks a lot guys for your replies.

orzakgem, I doubt I will go hydraulic for the motors. Too much hassle.

Tho, Ron, I will take your advice about using hydraulics for the taper.

For the dogs, I will shorten the rail of about 4 inch. At what is the bottom for the moment.

Then I will not fix the movement of the "bottom dog" but rather limit it, and adjust the length of the screw accordingly so it wouldn't go out of the  protection tube. Now, it's matter of finding the right motors and pinions.

Then, for rotating the log turning. I was thinking about car hubs, from a 4x4, with "toothed" discs. Powered by a three phase moto reductor. And a ram for lifting those out of the rails.

Whatdayathink?

kelLOGg

Out of my league, but I sure do like that vacuum lumber lift!
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Satamax on March 09, 2016, 07:28:54 AM
Hi Orzakgem.

The motor is 22KW 415Vac Not the toughest, but with stellite bands, it should work all right. I could get a 40kw may be. But would the future generator cope with any bigger than 22kw, dunno.

Hth.

Max.

Maybe someone can translate for me.  I always thought 746w (.746kw) was one horse power.  So that means that 22kw would be about 28hp?  That can't be right.  I, too, like the vacuum lift!  That video was nice but seems like it cuts pretty slow - maybe hardwood?

Max, just for scale, what is the distance between your rails?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Satamax

John, 736w for a HP, so that's 29.89hp. Tho, that's three phase 415v, not petrol HP. Which seem overrated all the time.

I have aproximately 160cm between rails. About 5.25ft. They're not fast machines in that HP range. But i have seen some fitted with up to 60kw motors. I actualy could do it, as i have one 67kw, wound rotor.

Mind you, i don't have the gen set to power it. This motor is meant to be turned into a generator.

Ljohnsaw

Well, I guess I had it right.  But that is a BIG electric motor!  Good luck with your project - will be following along. :)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Kbeitz

High/ low voltage ... Ac/DC.... All make a difference...

Amps calculation with voltage of 12V DC
For DC power supply, amps are equal to watts divided by volts.

amp = watt / volt

amps = 1000W / 12V = 83.333A

Amps calculation with voltage of 120V AC
For AC power supply, amps are equal to watts divided by power factor times volts.

amps = watts / (PF × volts)

For resistive load without inductors or capacitors, the power factor is equal to 1:

amps = 1000W / (1 × 120V) = 8.333A

For inductive load (like induction motor), the power factor can be approximately equal to 0.8:

amps = 1000W / (0.8 × 120V) = 10.417A

Amps calculation with voltage of 230V AC
For AC power supply, amps are equal to watts divided by power factor times volts.

For resistive load without inductors or capacitors, the power factor is equal to 1:

amps = 1000W / (1 × 230V) = 4.348A

For inductive load (like induction motor), the power factor can be approximately equal to 0.8:

amps = 1000W / (0.8 × 230V) = 5.435A
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

ozarkgem

Quote from: Kbeitz on March 10, 2016, 04:54:07 PM
High/ low voltage ... Ac/DC.... All make a difference...

Amps calculation with voltage of 12V DC
For DC power supply, amps are equal to watts divided by volts.

amp = watt / volt

amps = 1000W / 12V = 83.333A

Amps calculation with voltage of 120V AC

amps = 1000W / (1 × 120V) = 8.333A

amps = 1000W / (0.8 × 120V) = 10.417A

Amps calculation with voltage of 230V AC

amps = 1000W / (1 × 230V) = 4.348A

amps = 1000W / (0.8 × 230V) = 5.435A
HUH   :D

Satamax

Kbeitz, you didn't like my dissing of petrol motors?  ;D

Well, all joking aside. No wories, i know ohms law.

There's one thing you have forgoten with lower voltages motors, line losses ;D

Anyway. Any advice about my dogs? They're uggly hey!

Kbeitz

Quote from: Satamax on March 11, 2016, 01:47:03 AM
Kbeitz, you didn't like my dissing of petrol motors?  ;D

Well, all joking aside. No wories, i know ohms law.

There's one thing you have forgoten with lower voltages motors, line losses ;D

Anyway. Any advice about my dogs? They're uggly hey!

Yea I just posted that to look at. I had it hanging at Grizzly when I was rewinding motors
to remind me not all motors are created equal.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!