iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Holmes loader?

Started by NCLogger, March 11, 2016, 11:14:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCLogger

I seen a Holmes 350 knuckle boom working recently, I was just wondering who made them and if anyone had experience with one?

thompsontimber

Made in Bonifay Florida in the late 90s, early 00s by a man and his son last name Holmes. He left Barko to implement his own design ideas and improvements.  The loaders are built very heavy, very strong, quick.  Very nice machines but had some major electrical wiring flaws and a problematic computer system. Biggest problem was no dealer support and warranty work was done by Mr. Holmes himself once he could get to it from Florida.
Sold out to Caterpillar and the initial Cat loader of the 2000s was the 350 Holmes. As Holmes you had a choice of power unit.

thompsontimber

As for experience with one, I have a good bit.  While I'm sure some of the fancy new loaders of today are as strong and efficient, Holmes was ahead of his time and a pioneer in some of his designs and fabrications. I ran one with a JD engine and it was really fast, extremely strong, and not bad on fuel.  Would delimb trees a 410 Prentice struggled to pick up and run circles around a 410 speed wise. It was paired with a rotobec grapple that would open under heavy loads that was a real detriment and rotobec couldn't/wouldn't get it resolved, but the loader itself would really get it done.

NCLogger

Local guy has two of them, good friend of mine run one for him and aways bragged about how strong and fast it was. His are the only ones I've ever seen.

Thank You Sponsors!