iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Oldjarhead is going to do some Walnut

Started by OlJarhead, March 21, 2016, 09:06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Looks like I'm going to mill up 11 logs of various sizes this weekend.  Black Walnut, English Walnut and one log of Elm.  Customer is bringing it to me despite my remote location.

I don't normally do jobs like this but figured why not right?  I mean, if he's going to bring them to me and remove the lumber when done than why not?  Though my location will prevent most from doing that LOL.

Anyway, I figure it'll take about 3 hours since I'll have to unload it from the trailer with my tractor and some of the logs are only 38" long.  Though it ought to go well otherwise since it will all be live sawn.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

WV Sawmiller

Haven't sawed Elm yet and if English walnut is same as black walnut you should have a real good time. I find walnut and cherry one of the easiest woods to saw. Enjoy.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

redbeard

There's a couple of threads on milling short stuff. Time consuming part is set up and clamping. You might consider having some hardware and cordless driver to mount the shorter logs to a wide 2 x plank for the ones that won't span two bed bunks.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

OlJarhead

Last time I did walnut was on the SMLT10 and it went pretty well.  The crooks were the hard part but I've told the customer to try to have them small enough to fit the mill.  Too big and the chainsaw comes outy ;) but I'll have fun either way I think :)

Seavee

It's a good thing to have the work coming to you so soon. Be for you know it you be retired sawing full time. : :D
Wood mizer lt50 47hp yanmar Diesel  Sthil MS311, Ms661 MS200T, 029 farm boss  and a New Holland T4  75hp.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Seavee on March 21, 2016, 02:03:10 PM
It's a good thing to have the work coming to you so soon. Be for you know it you be retired sawing full time. : :D

smiley_thumbsup :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Brucer

The middle two bed rails are 27" centre to centre, so the log will fit. The middle two side stops are 38" centre to centre -- if they are partly raised you can probably catch both ends of the log. A sacrificial board between the side stops might work better.

I'm always interested in unusual (for me) species. Sometimes I change my mind after sawing them. ;D
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

OlJarhead

I was wondering about the middle rails.  Thanks.

Customer sent me these.

Looks like a fun way to spend a Saturday morning:)

SAWMILL BUDDY

Kbeitz

How many BF would you get outa that one ???

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

isawlogs

I saw a few nice crotch peices in there, some have wood tagged "log" in a different way then others.
For me this would sawed by the hour plus blades damaged. It will be a interesting day at the very least!  Take some pics of the crotches as you saw them.  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

OlJarhead

He wanted only the largest stuff milled but found someone closer to him (he was 70 miles from me) so cancelled the job.

Meanwhile, I had a call from a guy local who has some poplar and a 'truck' of logs nearby that he's planning on having milled up.  Asked about my availability and I explained that I have some time in April but have two other jobs going, one which will take the 1st week or so of the month and another that's getting finalized now so if he wants me to mill soon he'll have to nail down a time ASAP ;) specially since nicer weather means I'll be busier for myself and others.

petefrom bearswamp

My opinion, you made out good on this one.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on March 23, 2016, 08:12:10 PM
My opinion, you made out good on this one.
X2. I would not lose any sleep on losing this job!
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

OlJarhead

LOL I didn't and won't ;)

It isn't that I'm not up for a challenge and at an hourly rate I'm ok with doing these jobs (did one just like it a few years ago) but I'm ok he found someone closer too ;)

Besides, looks like I have two to replace him with!  8)

WDH

You made out GREAT on that one.  Those little crooked logs are nasty.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I love to see those kinds of "jobs" fall through.  After seeing the picture, I would have been tempted to cut the rope myself.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

:o
Glad it didn't work out.  That would have been one of the "yeah, well, no, I'm not going saw those" kind of jobs for me. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!