iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OldJarheads Milling Thread...

Started by OlJarhead, April 06, 2016, 02:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandmill Bandit

I did a description of the install process for the B56 some where on the forum but not sure where. The first time was a PITA,  BUT I learned a lot on how to get it done. First time took about an hour, a lot of cussing and scraped knuckles and the second time took about 10 minutes no cussing and no busted knuckles.

I always flip the idles side belt side to side when I change blades and at this point have changed the 2 belts at the same time.

I'll go find that belt change description and post the link. Next time I change belts I will do a video tutorial but that is about 250 milling hours or so away.

heres that link
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,89693.msg1380237.html#msg1380237   
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Deese

I've got 19" band wheels and just put new carquest B56 belts on Saturday. Oh. My. Goodness. It took 2 pair of vise grips, a hammer, and a really stout flat head screwdriver. I've done it a few times and dread it each time. So frustrating!
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Deese

Thanks for reposting that link Banmill B. Very interesting.
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

paul case

Timberking did have a video on youtube about changing the b56 belts.

Spray lube, like WD-40 will help.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

MartyParsons

Hello,
   I see very few B-56 belts in the field. Not seen many issues with the B-57 . Not sure why you would want to run the 56? Your call.
I have seen the B-57 stick in the wheel and cause the band to jump off. I usually check the belt at the beginning of the day if it is sticking remove the band blade and spray some WD40 or just about any lube in the pulley grove. I would not think anything liquid would stay on it long due to heat and centrifugal force.
I see a few wheels with build up between the belt and the wheel on service.
When we do an alignment during service we always replace the B-57 belt. The height of the belt will change as the belt wears and thus if a new belt was not used the deflection would be less when a new belt was installed.

Hope this helps.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Bandmill Bandit

Hey Marty
Thanks for the input. The main reason I use the B56 is because jack pine and white spruce seem to have a stickier saw dust and it make lumps under the drive belt side that are a continual PITA.  Since I have gone to the B56 on the drive side there are so many issues that just don't exist for me any more. i doubt every body will need to use them but they sure do make my milling life a lot nicer AND I don't have near as many broken blades any more. I now sharpen about 80% of my blades to the point of can't sharpen any more and they still are not broken when I toss em in the scrap bin at the welding shop in town.

in   
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Brucer

Sawing mainly Douglas-Fir, the only times I've had any build-up under the belt is when I've been sawing in a heavy snowfall (which I really try to avoid :(). Something about the combination of snow and sawdust seems to cause it to accumulate in the balancing holes in the bandwheel on the drive side. As soon as it fills the hole, the sawdust is attracted to the same spot and starts to make a bump at the bottom of the wheel.

If you run your mill with one or more of these bumps under the b57 belt, it will cause your belt tension to fluctuate up and down very rapidly. This is hard on everything in the drive train -- blades, bearings, drive belts.

You'll get exactly the same effect if you buy a cheap belt that has a raised area on the back of the belt at the splice. That's why I stick to Wood-Mizer branded belts.

In most situations the b57 is a self-cleaning belt. In a few cases a b56 will do a better job of keeping the sawdust out in the first places.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Magicman

B57's on both bandwheels serve me well so I see no reason to experiment.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Magicman on August 24, 2016, 10:38:49 PM
B57's on both bandwheels serve me well so I see no reason to experiment.

x2
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

John S

2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

OlJarhead

Belts arrived so I'll do some maintenance today and get the mill and truck ready for the next couple of jobs.  I need to return to the last job and finish it since I had no belts to replace the tore up one with and pulled off the job.  That will hurt a little since it's about 100 miles from me.  Then I have another job to do, a short one.  It's a Tulip a customer wants milled up.

She tells me she has enough logs to keep me busy for a half day...interesting that they pulled off the bark off.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tnaz

Quote from: Magicman on August 28, 2016, 02:29:50 PM
Oh what nice "logs".   :o

I hope my computer works when I get the tea out of it!! :D :D

Slingshot

I would say the bark just fell off those nice logs.

_______________________________-

OlJarhead

LOL but for $85/hr plus setup etc and I'll be happy to mill them into whatever I can for the customer.

I am hoping, however, that they have some that aren't badly checked etc.

tnaz

LOL but for $85/hr plus setup etc and I'll be happy to mill them into whatever I can for the customer.

I hear ya. :D

Carson-saws

that's the bottom line right there...
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

OlJarhead

Yup I'll saw that!

Used MM's chain trick to get the 'log' on the deck and started whittling it down :)

Took some chainsaw work to whittle down the outer edges a few times as this thing was just a tad too wide!  But I got it done :)

Moved on to the second 'big' wood and got it down then milled several small 'logs' until the last big chunk was chained onto the deck...got it milled square but ran into a nail.  Changed band, rotated the log 180 and milled it down.

Put some slabs/flitches up on the deck to square them up for lathe wood and hit more nails....called it a day but it was a good day $$$ wise and a day of sawing is a good day anyway :D

tnaz

Need more pictures!!! :D  That one looks interesting.

Glad you made some $$$.

OlJarhead

Sorry that was all I got this time

Czech_Made

OlJarhead

NOTE to self:  NEVER EVER EVER loan your end sealer to a customer AGAIN!!!  :snowball: >:(

I went to pick up my sealer and put the 5 gal bucket in the back of my truck....got home and thought "gee that looks awfully thick and chunky"...went to shake the bucket and the lid came out and a bunch of sealer spilled onto the driveway!  CUSSING and swearing I began to clean it up.

This is the second time someone did not put the lid on right and it came off making a mess....worst still they seem to fail to understand what the *DanG spout is for!  GRRRRR

Off to Chelan to mill up a dozen logs or so tomorrow :D  I am not at my goal for the year so everything else is golden :D

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

GAB

Quote from: OlJarhead on September 17, 2016, 07:51:12 PM
NOTE to self:  NEVER EVER EVER loan your end sealer to a customer AGAIN!!! 

An approx. 2 pound container of peanuts or mixed nuts has a roughly 4" opening.
I pour some anchorseal in one of those and give it to a perspective customer and they can end seal their own logs without contaminating my pail.
Gerald

W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

ncsawyer

OlJarhead,

I noticed one of your outriggers in the picture was missing the plastic cap.  That's a pretty common thing for my LT40.  I couldn't ever keep them on.  I finally took each one out and run a bead of black silicon around them and put them back it.  Seems to work pretty good.  Keeping those caps on will keep the sawdust and bark out of your outriggers.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

Thank You Sponsors!