iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OldJarheads Milling Thread...

Started by OlJarhead, April 06, 2016, 02:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

Nice.  I got to thinking, having electric brakes, maybe they could help grab when you're braking. 
Boy, back in my day..

OlJarhead

Quote from: 4x4American on November 22, 2016, 10:22:02 PM
Nice.  I got to thinking, having electric brakes, maybe they could help grab when you're braking.

Yup, they should and the chains will keep it from slipping and sliding.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Peter Drouin

When I did that[ Job to Job] It was the salt I did not like. In fact the mill did not go till the roads were dry. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

OlJarhead

No salt here (they use some kind of eco friendly -- or so they think - ice melt) but I don't like pulling the mill if there is a chance of ice or snow on the road!

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: 4x4American on November 22, 2016, 07:35:56 PM
Does chaining up the mill help it track better?  I've never really thought to chain up a trailer.  Just curious!
Chain it to a tree and give your wife the key for the winter.  :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

4x4American

Quote from: OlJarhead on November 23, 2016, 07:58:20 AM
No salt here (they use some kind of eco friendly -- or so they think - ice melt) but I don't like pulling the mill if there is a chance of ice or snow on the road!

Whats not eco friendly about rock salt?  Doesn't it come from the earth??  Does the ice melt stuff rust/rot out vehicles? If it don't, I wish they'd use that here in NYS!  But they like our vehicles to rot out so DOT can make $ writing tickets, their friends the automobile companies can sell more vehicles, and it's cheaper off the bat so more$ for them...
Boy, back in my day..

OlJarhead

I am out milling :)

Pulled the mill into the customers location yesterday as there was no snow and got started today at 7:30am.  Milled until 4pm so I could pack up before dark (it gets dark by 4:30) and will post a few pics soon.

So far so good and though it's cool (40's) it was a good day.  Couple good helpers which makes a big difference!

Not sure what my total was today since I didn't do a count before leaving (or get pics of the finish for the day) but think I had over 1000bf by noon so was happy with that :)

If the weather holds I'll get this last big job done for the year and I'm pretty stoked about that as it's going to be winter up here any day now and that means no more pulling the mill into remote locations! (or anywhere for that matter if the roads aren't clear).

OlJarhead

Few pics I took around noon today :)

OlJarhead

Made the mistake of leaving the band on overnight (doh!)I had backed off the pressure but it was a new band and I was lazy...I didn't make that mistake tonight and removed it and cleaned out the rollers as one had frozen on me and I had to get it worked free this morning.

I did make one mistake though!  I forgot to blow out the water lube/vavle!!!  DOH!  I'm using a mix with windshield washer fluid though so am hoping it will be fine though I'm mixing -10f washer fluid with water and pinesol (and soap) so it's not going to be that freeze proof -- maybe good to 0F or 5F but that's ok I think since it won't get that cold.

I am having issues with my water lube though and may have to blow it out with the compressor tomorrow as half the time it's not flowing well and the band is getting gummed up.

So far 2900bf down though half that (nearly) is 1x6x16's which slow me down some.  I'm only averaging 200bf/hr but was over 300 in the afternoon once I got into 2x's.

So far so good, let's hope the weather holds!

4x4American

beautiful pictures.  I drilled out the nozzles on my lube as per the pine mans suggestion, works way better.  Another thing that works good is to add more pinesol.  Alot more. 
I might have 2 gallons of pinesol in a mixture in bad enough stuff.  Shoot, run straight pinesol if you gotta!
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

I don't like for my mill to get wet and freeze.

I use air 150 psi to clean the mill off then cover.
I use straight washer fluid,  The -20 stuff. In the summer just water. I don't use a witches brew.  ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

thecfarm

I really like that first picture. Everything is kinda dark and gloomy than the sawmill and sawdust is nice and bright.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bandmill Bandit

Hey Eric

O'Reilly Auto Parts has the wind shield washer solvent in 5 gallon buckets at $59.99 in stock in Wenatchee.

Making your blade lube fluid is a LOT cheaper that way and you can mix to the weather. The Moses Lake store would likely get it in if they don't have it. It is a Gunk Product # M5-40.

There are a few manufactures down there and looks like you can get it cheaper than that too. You just have to Google windshield washer solvent concentrate or something like that and you will find all you need.

Some have a version of super bug eraser concentrate available as well. Look for one that has a citrus and and pine type ingredient. if you cant find one that has both get the pine one and add a citrus concentrate to it when you mix. I have yet to find any thing that beats the mix I make. The one I use is very GREEN friendly. I did check  it and it can ship state side with out issue. Ill get info and post here with a picture.   

I keep a 16 oz spray bottle of 50/50 mix in the truck when I am milling in freezing weather and spray the band and rollers real good after I blow off the mill at the end of the day. Have not had any freezing issues since I been doing that     

Looks like most of the O'Reilly store in the frozen States carry it or can get it with in 24 hours.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Peter Drouin

So Bandmill, Dose your mill smell like oranges when you cut Pine? ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

BB how many gal of warsher fluid do you get out of the concentrate?  I tried ordering the "concentrate" from my local Napa one time, and for $30 they gave me a little 120z sized squirt bottle that supposedly could make like 100 gal of washer fluid or something.  Well once I got back and was looking at it, it was some scammer company from Florida.  It said "Summer Blend" in tiny writing, and was just soap, had nothing to stop freezing.  I was ticked off, but both Napa and the guy selling it wouldn't take it back because I had broke the seal on it.  I just bought a 55 gal drum of -20 warsher fluid from Carquest for $120 the other day, so if there's a cheaper alternative, I'd like to know!
Boy, back in my day..

Bandmill Bandit

Last 5 Gal pail I bought was $44.99 CND. At 50/50 for Minus 40* it mixes out to to 10 gallons, BUT I rarely mix for temps that low. I generally mix to a -20/25 range (1 solvent to 2 water i think) and find that the stuff doesn't really freeze even @ -40 just sorta gels. Dump an extra quart or so at start of day BEFORE you open the valve when its real cold and in about 10 ish minutes you're good to go. Also undo the hose at the end of day and dump an oz or 2 in the tube till it runs out the nozzles.

I think most of the  members that need to mix could likely mix 1 solvent to 3 or even 4 water and be fine so you'd get about 20 to 25 gal of mixed product.

I dont fill my big tank more than about half full in the winter unless I will be sawing for a few days straight. As a rule I saw for almost 2 days on full tank. Its a 34 litre (almost 9 US gal) tank.

Peter
IF I am sawing pine, I smell pine. If I am sawing other species its sort of a mix of smells.

PS you should be able to find it for around $35 a pail or less. If you buy a drum it should = to near $20 for a pail or less. If you can find a manufacturer you can get it whole sale as a rule.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

OlJarhead

Had my best production day yet today! 8) with 397bf/hr :D  As I milled up 2187bf in 5.5hrs :D

All in all it was a great day despite having to blow out the water lube to get it working and then having the valve on the tank cuase me problems later in the day -- right about the time I realized I was mixing my washer fluid to water ratio too low!!  That 19F weather at the start of the day and highs in the 30's will make you ponder that one once or twice ;)  Also milled a bunch of 1x4's out of stickers (pain) which cost me milling time and I was running more like 450-500bf/hr until I hit a snag with an unruly log that didn't want to square up right for me for some reason so I utilized the STP rule:  stop, thing and pee.  Seemed to work as I got back to log, squared it and went gang busters again :)

My two helpers were great young bucks that really got it down and were hauling 2x12's off the mill almost fast enough for me to never slow down -- they stopped me a few times but that's ok -- and since they are both certified state fallers and fire fighters (forest) I let them do the delimbing and bucking with my big saw (the new one I rebuilt) so that meant I kept milling.

Finished up the first batch of logs and came out with 5250 board feet.

Only drawback with all that lumber is the customer is scratching her head and wondering if maybe she bit off more than she could chew so she may decide to not mill the next 4000bf or so.  That's ok though, I'll drag the mill off the mountain and maybe, just maybe, pout it away for the winter......but there is this one job ;)  :o :D

OlJarhead

Few more pics of the day :)  Not much time to take pics as I was milling to get the job done!  Really had a good day despite the very cold start to it :)

Bandmill Bandit

Hey you are doing real good. good help makes all the difference in the world.

DO the mods I have done and you will add 100 + BF to your average.

OlJarhead

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on November 29, 2016, 10:11:32 PM

lol one day!  One day!  First I have to pay for the mill ;)

Weekend_Sawyer

Besides this thread, are you keeping a log? I'd like to know your progress towards the million board feet award.
At this rate you'll be there in no time!

or does this thread count as a log?
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

WV Sawmiller

I keep a history log of every time I saw with the number and type logs, lumber type/size cut, engine hours and bf output. This lets me keep up with my total bf cut, species, and average bf/hr. I sure won't get to any million bf mark as quickly as Eric is as I usually end up cutting much smaller, hardwood logs made into 4/4 lumber instead of the big pines/fire like he and MM make into framing type lumber but I'll keep plodding along and enjoy reading about the success of other FF members.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

paul case

STP method?

I never heard it called that but I use it from time to time..

Glad to hear of your progress. Kinda funny how when you have a real good sawing day the first thing that comes to mind is how much trouble you had. I think even though it could have been better ........... That was a good day.(I had to stp about what to say next)

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

Congrats Erik and thanks for documenting your sawmilling journey.  I am sure that many potential sawyers are watching your business model.  Their customer base, etc. will be different, but your success proves that you must be willing to adjust, learn, and have a "never quit" attitude.  I admire yours.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: OlJarhead on November 29, 2016, 11:35:57 PM
Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on November 29, 2016, 10:11:32 PM

lol one day!  One day!  First I have to pay for the mill ;)

Yup that is exactly what I did.

AND keep a log for sure. I am over the million board feet but I didnt keep a log book so have no way to show it.

Thank You Sponsors!