iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OldJarheads Milling Thread...

Started by OlJarhead, April 06, 2016, 02:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rusticretreater

I have never been happier in my life since I shucked off the yoke of corporate bondage.  Sure, money is an issue, but freedom to choose what I want to do is surely just compensation.  As another fella has in his signature line, retired and working hard to stay that way.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

caveman

For those of you too young for medicare and who are retired, what are you doing for health insurance?  I entered DROP (deferred retirement option plan) last month.  I can keep working at my current job for up to five more years, but the biggest concern for me is cost of health insurance. 
Caveman

fluidpowerpro

I get my health insurance through MnSure which is Minnesota's equivalent to Obama Care. Because I have very little income, my premium is very reasonable. I don't feel any guilt. Paid lots of taxes during my working career and for once, a govt program is actually helping me.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

OlJarhead

Quote from: caveman on March 19, 2022, 11:09:11 PM
For those of you too young for medicare and who are retired, what are you doing for health insurance?  I entered DROP (deferred retirement option plan) last month.  I can keep working at my current job for up to five more years, but the biggest concern for me is cost of health insurance.
As a veteran with disabilities that are related to my service (service connected as they call it) I receive full healthcare from the VA.  It's not the greatest but due to some changes between the years of about '16 to '20 I get my care from the 'community' vs the VA facility that's 50 miles away and this helps a LOT.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

sealark37

After a few months, you will wonder how you ever had time to go to work.

Magicman

I was "downsized" from Ma Bell at age 51 in 1994.  I already had a hobby cabinet shop so doing carpenter work came as a natural.  Hanging rafters alone on a 12/12 pitch made me decide that I was on the wrong end of lumber so I told PatD that I was gonna buy a sawmill.  She asked "with what" and my answer was "I don't know".  She asked "how I intended to pay for it", and my answer was the same; "I don't know".  I had never sawed nor even watched anyone sawing.  As fate would have it, I did find the 'right' sawmill and all of my 'learning' was by the seat of my britches.

OK, my thoughts were that I would saw and sell lumber since I had access to much beetle killed SYP.  That worked well for the first year until I ran out of beetle killed SYP, but by then it had paid for the sawmill.  Also by then I had realized that since I had no shed nor log/lumber handling equipment, I needed to leave the selling behind and only do custom portable sawing.  That was over 18 years and over 2 million bf ago.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

TimW

Quote from: GAB on March 19, 2022, 10:02:48 AM
Quote from: Bindian on March 19, 2022, 12:49:46 AM
In 12 days it will be 2 years since I turned a wrench on an airliner.  Haven't missed it at all.  I miss the people I worked with, but not the drive or being on graveyard for 28 years.
Thank you covid, for the early retirement.

I highly recommend retirement.  It's the only job you can work harder at than you did before and love it.  Long lunches and siesta help.  Waking up without an alarm clock is AWESOME. Setting your own hours is priceless.
hugs,  Brandi
Go ahead: Rub it in, Rub it in, Rub it in.
You forgot about being able to turn off the ignition, and go fishing or hunting, or anything else your little heart might desire.
GAB
Oh, I used to feed the catfish at 5pm, before getting ready for work.  Now I feed them anytime between 4 and 5.  They sure are getting big. I will try to get photos tomorrow for more rubbing in. :D
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

TimW

Quote from: ljohnsaw on March 19, 2022, 12:15:37 PM
Quote from: GAB on March 19, 2022, 10:02:48 AM
Quote from: Bindian on March 19, 2022, 12:49:46 AM
In 12 days it will be 2 years since I turned a wrench on an airliner.  Haven't missed it at all.  I miss the people I worked with, but not the drive or being on graveyard for 28 years.
Thank you covid, for the early retirement.

I highly recommend retirement.  It's the only job you can work harder at than you did before and love it.  Long lunches and siesta help.  Waking up without an alarm clock is AWESOME. Setting your own hours is priceless.
hugs,  Brandi
Go ahead: Rub it in, Rub it in, Rub it in.
You forgot about being able to turn off the ignition, and go fishing or hunting, or anything else your little heart might desire.
GAB
In June, it will be 9 years for me.  I don't get to go fishing as much as I'd like - got too many other projects going on competing for my time!
I got so many projects planned, I dream about the current project.  Folks shake their head at me saying I need to relax.  They can't understand me doing projects or sawing is relaxing. 
                 hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

TimW

Quote from: caveman on March 19, 2022, 11:09:11 PM
For those of you too young for medicare and who are retired, what are you doing for health insurance?  I entered DROP (deferred retirement option plan) last month.  I can keep working at my current job for up to five more years, but the biggest concern for me is cost of health insurance.
Medishare.  $320 a month, but a $12,000 deductible.
hugs,  Brandi

TimW

Another bonus of retirement was the end of my stomach problems.  I called it Hobbyitis, since I worked at Hobby Airport.
   hugs, Brandi

OlJarhead

Had some delays :(  Now I likely won't leave before the middle of April and possibly a little later but expect to leave sometime in April which is important as I have a big job with about 80 logs to mill on or about the last week of April :P

I'm pretty much booked for April and May now so I better quit this day job thing soon! lol

OlJarhead

Almost there!  I am hoping I can make the final notification on the 11th but we shall see! 

Meanwhile, I made this video because I've been pondering this question a lot!
Hobby or Production Sawyer? - What's the difference? - YouTube

One note:  I know a lot of guys say to mill from the small end, and I used to, but I find the big end first gives me a better view of the throat and if I'll make it without stuffing the log over more ;)

Also, finally got my hook from Peavy to attach to the choker chain to roll bigger logs  8)

OlJarhead

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Yeehaw!  Next Friday is my last day!  (I turned in my resignation Monday and forgot to let y'all know!).

MM, Jake and all those out east I'm envious!  I saw Nathan's vid of a BBQ in GA and was jealous!  And holy maceral!  Jake that's one impressive layout....like seriously industrial setup!  I guess I hadn't realized just how big your setup is!

It's funny, a mobile guy like me (and guys like MM I'm guessing) just have the mill, a truck, maybe a camper and a bunch of tools and hit the road almost all of the time....and then there are the seriously big operations using the same mills (ok, LT70's mostly but still WM's and other top brands) and running major operations (Peter et al).

Pretty cool to see and I'd love to make it out some day though I'll be honest, MM is on the list at the top of guys I'd like to spend a day with running a mill (but then who wouldn't right? lol).

Anyway, it's official!  I'm leaving the day job (which is a large part of my absence from here and elsewhere lately) and will run my mill part time (ish), more if this busted up old jarhead's body will allow it LOL and maybe do a few more of the things I WANT to do vs what I have to ;)

Cheers
Erik 'The Old Jarhead' McVay

Magicman

Congrats Erik, and your description is correct.  My entire log handling equipment inventory is in the back of my truck.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crossroads

Congratulations Erik! I left my day job on 4/2/21 and have no regrets. I'm attempting to combine both worlds, mobile and stationary. There are several reasons 1) I get snow bound for about 3 month 2) I have the equipment and 20 acres, I might as well use it 3) I make a little more money selling custom cut lumber than I do running mobile. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

OlJarhead

I have thought about milling at my place that's a 1/2 acre but don't really want the mess.  My 20acres is too remote for it

Resonator

Congrats! 8)

I quit my day job in 2018, it's been a rocky road, but I still love being my own boss and the freedom I have. Along with sawing, there is some money to be made in making custom value added projects. Especially if you can provide something they can't buy elsewhere. smiley_thumbsup
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

OlJarhead

8) 8) 8) 8)

Parked my work truck at the shop and left it :D  I leave my phone and laptop tomorrow :D

Yeeha!  Time to get milling! :D
Re-sawing a D-Log and milling pine | Wood Mizer Lt40 - YouTube

I head out tomorrow to run the mill this weekend, then leave Wednesday for a 4 day job :)  I'm milling as couple jobs in May and 3 in June :D  hoping to not run the mill in July or August unless high up in the hills with no fires anywhere around!

Here's hoping the semi-retirement goes even close to as planned :D

KenMac

I'm betting that you'll find that retirement is the best invention man has ever made!! That is my opinion anyway. 8)
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

OlJarhead

2007bf of 1x8x8s today.   Was a good day of mling!

OlJarhead

I have to do the math still LOL as the customer was loading lumber on the semi before I could finish verifying my counts!  Luckily I mark day one with a red crayon and day two with a different color (black this time) and charge by the hour not BF so it doesn't make a difference that way.  I think I broke 4Mbf for the 13hrs of milling though and since it was 90% 1x's I'm pretty happy with that :D  Those of-bearers were the very best I've ever had and the skid steer was shoveling logs at me as fast as I could load them!  Woot!  8) 8) Now THAT makes for some good production!

Celebrating my semi-retirement with a weekend of milling was frankly just what the old jarhead needed :D :D  ;D  And THIS TIME I took pics! (not just video)! :D

Kick the dust up!

Now that's a way to load the logs!

These guys had all the toys!

Making yards of sawdust

Logs logs and more logs -- keep 'em comin!

First day, 2007bf in 7hrs :D

Finished at over 4200bf in 13hrs (4245bf by my count and 320bf/hr)

Had some of the best off-bearers EVER on this job, man they were super fast!

Magicman

I realize that every market is different but did you do the math on bf rate vs hourly rate?   :P

They should be virtually the same. 

OlJarhead

Quote from: Magicman on March 20, 2022, 07:10:17 PM
I was "downsized" from Ma Bell at age 51 in 1994.  I already had a hobby cabinet shop so doing carpenter work came as a natural.  Hanging rafters alone on a 12/12 pitch made me decide that I was on the wrong end of lumber so I told PatD that I was gonna buy a sawmill.  She asked "with what" and my answer was "I don't know".  She asked "how I intended to pay for it", and my answer was the same; "I don't know".  I had never sawed nor even watched anyone sawing.  As fate would have it, I did find the 'right' sawmill and all of my 'learning' was by the seat of my britches.

OK, my thoughts were that I would saw and sell lumber since I had access to much beetle killed SYP.  That worked well for the first year until I ran out of beetle killed SYP, but by then it had paid for the sawmill.  Also by then I had realized that since I had no shed nor log/lumber handling equipment, I needed to leave the selling behind and only do custom portable sawing.  That was over 18 years and over 2 million bf ago.
You are my inspiration!  Not sure you saw any of my videos this year but you're mentioned a few times ;)  I thought of doing one on FF for that reason.  What I do and what I know is in large part due to this forum and you, Doc, Peter, Jake and so many others!  (too many to mention here!!!!).  You guys are so awesome!  I wouldn't be making sawdust the way I do without your inspiration!

OlJarhead

Quote from: Magicman on April 25, 2022, 11:01:15 AM
I realize that every market is different but did you do the math on bf rate vs hourly rate?   :P

They should be virtually the same.
Yup, $400/mbf is what it totaled.  I know many charge more than that (I've been told anywhere from $500 to $1000/Mbf these days but I figure $400/Mbf when driving as much as I do is a fair price considering.  Some jobs I do $270 or even lower but mostly it's hard to get good production rates on remote locations with help that is, well, not as fast as this weekends!

Magicman

I have recently raised my bf rate to $400Mbf and I have an idea that the other nearby sawyers have too, but I have never asked them about their sawing rate.  I almost never saw hourly rate because when I quote the hourly equivalent of my bf rate their eyes :o

Ironically when I started sawing 20 years ago my sawing rate was $200Mbf.  Everything else has much more than doubled in 20 years.  Sure, I could push my bf rate but I am not.

Thank You Sponsors!