iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OldJarheads Milling Thread...

Started by OlJarhead, April 06, 2016, 02:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Yup!  100% agree -- and in this case it was the customer that made the decision to leave them as is and not make them FOHC which was my intent and suggestion.  However, he's a very good wood worker with all the right tools so must have had an idea of what was likely to happen.

On the other hand, I've had ponderosa boxed heart beams twist on me and in my early days of milling got away with splitting the pith on paneling...so who knows.  I give it a 10% chance of surviving as a 6x8 and a 90% chance he mills it the rest of the way down in the end ;)  But it was his dime :D ;D
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

OlJarhead

And wouldn't you just know it!  I couldn't find my magic hook before leaving on this short job and then forgot the chain too!  Grrrr

Still managed to get just shy of 2400bf in 6hrs
Though there were a lot of 6x6 beams 😀 

OlJarhead

Wow!  Timing is everything!  Today, while taking a break from editing my latest video I went on to YT and checked to see who else had a new video out and saw YH's new video.  Watched it and couldn't believe the timing!  I was making a video in which I started getting wavy cuts etc and realized I needed to adjust my drive belt tension (since everything else was good and recently adjusted or changed (like the band)).

While watching this video YH showed something I'd not heard before and realized I'd seen it but was too busy looking at the cut (since I walk beside the log while milling I can see cut issues before noticing a band -- until my video!)....
So here it is!
Sawmill Secret! How to Saw Straight and Fast! Learn From a Pro! HHA - YouTube

Now, I'm going to link to this video in mine.  The thing is, while editing my video I could clearly see what YH was talking about.  Again, since I walk beside the log/mill while milling (like MM who rides and others without remotes or command controls) I can see what's going on clearly -- I'm right there -- but YH's video taught me something else to look at.  I looked at the sawdust coming out of the Shute but not so much at the band and sawdust spray there.

My video will come out at 11:45am tomorrow but here's a link for those interested.
- YouTube

YellowHammer

That is amazing.  I guess we both have ESPN. :D :D

Keep yours video coming, I enjoy watching them.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

OlJarhead

OlJarhead

Woot!  8) 8)

I'm going to be adding a laser to my mill!  Can't wait for it to arrive and get it installed so I can give it a try!  I'm hoping it will reduce the amount of time I take to line up my first and/or second cuts!

It's not a WM product though I plan to use their bracket for simplicity sake :)  This laser is being sent to me by the manufacturer and I'll let you all know what it is and what I think of it when I get it installed and tested!

OlJarhead

Magicman

Your sawdust chute is clogged.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Old Greenhorn

Lynn, lately you seem to have a fascination with other peoples sawdust. Either how it piles up or how it come off the mill. Is there something we should know about or something you might want to share? :D :D ;D

OJH, you are right, it's not a race, it's about making good stuff. I am reminded about a conversation I had with a cousin when I was in Norway. I was raised on boats and we were out on his. It was a single cylinder diesel, about 7 HP, the boat was a beauty of about 27' like a great many of the boats I saw in the marina and out on the waters. I noted the difference between how we Americans like our boats (big engines, fast, sleek, etc). He never looked up from the water in front of him and quietly remarked "If you are going there in a boat, you shouldn't be in a hurry." He was, of course, correct and it brought home the point. It's not the destination, it's the journey.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Resonator

If it's not the destination, it's the journey, then don't stop believin'. smiley_guitarist
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

doc henderson

Tom it may not be about the sawdust.  Most of us, as we age, worry about the chute getting clogged up.  high fiber is often just the answer.   8)   :) :) :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Crusarius

Old Greenhorn

Well Doc, you observation makes sense but how do you explain his concern about my sawdust piles being too big? Perhaps, maybe I shouldn't ask. In fact, I think I am already sorry I did.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

doc henderson

Well Tom, now that you asked... the old term for a hemorrhoid is pile.  I think mayby he feels you should eat more fiber.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

OlJarhead

Quote from: Magicman on October 10, 2022, 04:54:55 PM
Your sawdust chute is clogged.  ;D
LOL ya, I saw that -- funny, I usually stop and unclog it fairly soon after I see it but sometimes I just keep forgetting ;)

OlJarhead

Maybe my sawdust chute had too much fiber ;) :P

Magicman

For me, Cypress is the worst sawdust chute clogger with fresh felled SYP next.  I have not noticed a clog and filled the entire drive housing which made a general mess.  :-\

You gotta remember Tom that the only thing a sawmill does is pull a blade through a log and make sawdust.  Where in the log the blade goes and what "by-product" it produces is your job.  ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OlJarhead

Monster Maple vs Husqvarna 572xp! #shorts #Husqvarna #lumber - YouTube
More to come!

This monster was so big and heavy we had to use the tractor to move the quarters around lol

Good thing the Husky saw has the guts to make it through this one!  Had to sharpen the chain after each pass and let the saw cool down between cuts but it just kept on moving the sawdust!  5 minutes to make one cut 20 inches deep....yup, it's a big log!  Once we had two cuts made I'd take the granberg off, plunge the saw all of the 28 inches it had into the cut and work it down to a hinge and then we'd wedge it open with felling wedges and break out off with the big tank bar (pry bar)....but we got it broken down!
More to come!

barbender

Did someone say something? Whenever someone says hemorrhoids my a...ears start burning😁
Too many irons in the fire

OlJarhead

OlJarhead

Old Greenhorn

OlJarhead

OlJarhead

OlJarhead

Thank You Sponsors!