iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OldJarheads Milling Thread...

Started by OlJarhead, April 06, 2016, 02:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

4 nuts will remove the outrigger.  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

@Magicman if 4 nuts can do it, don't you think 1 old jarhead can do it by himself?   :o :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

OK, one nut removing 4 nuts.  :D   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Eric,

I watched the video and hope no PETA members see it and complain about you destroying the homes of groundhogs, prairie dogs and the rare northeastern right winged mole. :D

It did remind me of a tip Mr. Tom Cadenhead posted here on the FF about taking an old rounded hubcap and placing it under the landing gear so you could slide it around. I don't know if that would have helped here but its something to consider.

I don't know if there would have been enough room to turn the mill at an angle and come down the side slope without too much risk of tuning over (said the man with 3 broken ribs from his last ATV rollover).

I assume that was a minimum fee job for just the one log.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

OlJarhead

First, I need to hit my noggin against a wall for not removing those outriggers lol. Sheesh!  Guess I just have no common sense lol. Next time!

As for the job, free of charge but he did give $100 fir the smoked bands.  This was a collaboration between Scott and I.  Unfortunately he just hasn't been able to get it out himself so I released it as is ;)  Fun time though!  And super nice guy, did you check out his channel?
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

OlJarhead

I should note that I rarely do just one log.   Normally if I have only one log I'll offer a deal in exchange for letting me take longer for filming ti make a video.  Otherwise my minimum is 4hrs of work unless 100 miles or more away, then the min is 8hrs but I might lower that to 75 miles 

Magicman

Thank you Erik for taking the "chain jerking" in a good natured Forestry Forum way.  :)

I agree about the "one log" jobs.  The customer wants/needs it done and there is no way for it to be economical to me nor the customer so I do them for free.  Almost without exception when I say "no charge" I get tipped far more than I would have ever charged. 

No matter what, I have made a friend and it's cheap advertising.  Many times I have had them to show up a month or so later and gift me or PatD with something that they made from the lumber.

Old Greenhorn

Good to know Lynn. Say, I have about 2 or 300 one log jobs up here right near out sawmill. When are you available? :D :D :D :D :D :D ;D ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Magicman

I'll check my HoHoHo calendar for a time slot.......OK checked and it appears that I am booked solid through February.  ;D

:christmas:

OlJarhead

Yup the one loggers are just not worth it unless for filming or as a favor lol. I've been paid a bottle of Bourbon for milling up a log and have a nice black walnut charcuterie board from another as well as plenty if $100+ dollar tips and as mentioned I do it for video too because normally I can chit chat with the camera on a paying production job lol

Crusarius

Magicman, did you check it twice?

Magicman

No time, right now I am looking for da Partridge in da Pear Tree.  :christmas:

GAB

Quote from: Magicman on December 24, 2022, 08:23:43 PM
No time, right now I am looking for da Partridge in da Pear Tree.  :christmas:
Sorry to have to tell you this, but I sawyed the pear tree last year.
Brought two pieces of bark to Jake's shindig and Danny confirmed it as pear.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Peter Drouin

Why not put a chain on the log with the truck and drag the thing up on level ground? 
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

OlJarhead

I suppose that may have worked but may also have caused more damage to the grass.

GAB

Quote from: OlJarhead on December 24, 2022, 11:41:11 PM
I suppose that may have worked but may also have caused more damage to the grass.
All you needed was a good old stone boat with some blocks to raise the small end.
Stone boats are not only for rocks.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: OlJarhead on December 24, 2022, 11:41:11 PM

Grass is easier to fix than a mill. Don't forget customers, don't care if you damage your truck or the mill, or work like an animal as long that they get their logs cut. 

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

OlJarhead

true but us jarheads tend to rush in head first and do the thinking after lol

GAB

Quote from: OlJarhead on December 26, 2022, 08:51:14 AM
true but us jarheads tend to rush in head first and do the thinking after lol
If you are still around to do some thinking. (I do not think it is a laughing matter)
Based on that comment I now have a better understanding of some of the entries in "did something dumb today"
Thanks for the enlightenment.
GAB

OlJarhead

LOL well, true, if you want to dig into it, but even in civilian life we tend to drive head first into a problem.  In this case, I learned (once again from MM) that I could have taken the outriggers off (DOH!  I know that!   Just didn't think of it)....

Fortunately I survived and so too did the mill and we headed back up to Badger Mountain to spend a day milling.  It was a bit of an adventure just getting there but made it up, got all the logs milled I could (his help was only there for the day) and continued on.
Sawmilling Pine Slabs On The Woodmizer LT40 Sawmill - YouTube

WV Sawmiller

Eric,

Nice vid. Nice rig for what you're doing.

Your comment about the customer changing his mind about the thickness on the fly hits home with a lot of it. I have to step back and bite my tongue when they do that as I am so in tune with sawing to my marks so I minimize the waste I have to remember it is his wood and if he suddenly decides he wants a 6/4 board out of the middle the cant I when I had started on my mark for 4/4. I tell him fine and that I'll have to make a trim cut to get back in sync. It probably is not a lot of waste int he big picture and he is happy so we both do okay. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

OlJarhead

Customers changing their mind is kinda my bread and butter  lol
https://youtu.be/qUvLY4uJcgY

OlJarhead

Magicman

HSS-A Side Support Kit, Hyd 4-Link
       ;D

OlJarhead

Yup, I need to do that along with Lubemizer and a laser ;)

Thank You Sponsors!