iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Zero Turn

Started by Den Socling, April 24, 2016, 01:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

I have a big Ferris zero turn. They aren't that well known, but I highly recommend. The deck in particular is very heavy duty. Welded up 1/4 inch plate re-enforced at corners. One inch spindle shafts with double roller bearings. Grease zerks on everything.  Kawasaki motors..spring suspension on all 4 wheels. And I regularly mow some fairly steep banks...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Magicman

My Kubota is getting it's early year tuneup.  So far all of the issues that I have had have been resolved under warranty.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DR Buck

I bought a John Deere commercial Z-trak about 6 years ago.   Its model 757 and has a plate steel 60" deck with "mulch on demand".   Deere was themonly one that offered the operator controlled mulching on demand.    That's why I bought it instead of the Kubota commercial I was considering.     I stuck with gas because the Deere diesel was over $12,000.   ,Bad enough the gas was $9000.  :o

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

wesdor

Sawguy. I mowed tonight and used my seatbelt. You are correct and thanks for the reminder.

Magicman

Pat and I will have ours at the Cabin tomorrow.  She will be on it and I will crank up the JD and bushhog around the pond, etc. 

Maybe there will also be some time for some bluegill catching.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tnaz

Quote from: Magicman on May 03, 2016, 08:38:29 PM
Pat and I will have ours at the Cabin tomorrow.  She will be on it and I will crank up the JD and bushhog around the pond, etc. 

Maybe there will also be some time for some bluegill catching.
With grits and hush-puppies I hope; oh, what time? :D

sandhills

I don't have a zero turn (I would love to though) but yesterday my wife had the day off and wanted to get the yard done so I was on the honey do mission.  Took me ten minutes to get the rider going for her and she said "no, I'm using the push mower, I need the exercise".  Well I'll be DanG'd if I was going to shut that thing off so every neighbor we have had to drive by while she was pushing the mower around and I was riding  :D.

Den Socling

That has happened here and I've felt embarrassed.  :-[  When we got the ZT, I gave the self-propelled walk behind to my daughter. She had been using a true push mower and was thrilled with the self propelled. The ZT goes in so tight around trees, wells, bushes and flower beds that I didn't figure I needed the walk behind any more.

DeerMeadowFarm

I have a Hustler SD with a 60" deck. I mow quite a bit of acreage with it. I'd estimate that I can mow the same amount of acres I used to with a big Cub Cadet tractor in 35 to 40% of the time. 

Hilltop366

I appear to have the same model mower as Al a Toro Titan 54".

It's great fun I tell people that it is better than a carnival ride, just as fun, no waiting in line ups, and I get my lawn mowed at the same time!

Farmerjw

I have never mowed a lawn with as much ground speed as I do with my zero turn.  No tractor type mower I ever owned could mow as fast with as nice a cut as my zero turn.  It is no wonder every lawn service uses them, they cut my mowing time in half and I mow around the pond all the time with it. 
Premier Bovine Scatologist

Den Socling

I've noticed something about the mower deck of our Troy-Bilt 42. It doesn't leave a line of clippings. The grass is blasted out. It looks like a jet! And if you get into a dry area, it sucks up a massive amount of dust. If it's dry grass, you're going to wear some.

Kbeitz

I've had a few... I'll never buy a John Deere again...
I had a Ferris and liked it a lot. Right now I have 3 Dixions. Boy are they fast.
Last weekend at the flea market I bought a woods 18 hp missing the engine for $200.00
It's in great shape with very little wear. I'm shopping for an engine.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Mooseherder

I've had a Ferris 48 inch cut with a Kawasaki twin for about 14 years and like it a lot.  The only issue with it has been the fuel pickups.  It goes everywhere and I have even used it as a bush hog at times.

OneWithWood

My neighbor of many years decided to move into town and asked me if I would mind storing and maintaining her Gavely XDZ.  She first asked a year ago and I declined as I did not have space to store it and I have been using my JD4520 with 72" Seven Iron mid mounted deck to handle the mowing chores.  This year she was a bit more insistent and I reluctantly agreed. 

Sometimes I amaze myself with my stupidity  ::)

The Gravely mows so well and fast!  No more having to mount the mower deck on the tractor, lower the ROPS, and dismount and raise the ROPS on the JD.  The Gravely with a 60" deck gets the job done in half the time and does not leave ruts on the softer areas. 8)  Too bad it has a gas engine but I am getting used to it  :-\

There are areas I will not use the Gravely - slopes, woods trails, tree plantings, the dam for the pond.  The XDZ does not have brakes so going down a steep slope can be hair raising to say the least  :o

It did not take long to clean out a space in the pole barn to house it.  I guess doing the maintenance (wash it, change the oil, sharpen the blades) is not a lot to ask for using it.  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

sawguy21

They do stop well as long as the tires have traction, you need to get used to easing back on the levers. They can be a bit of a handful on slopes as they steer like a shopping cart, the front always wants to turn downhill. Does anyone have a model with the the short handles between the knees? I tried one, almost climbed a tree. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ScottAR

On hills, go slow and remember the downhill tire has the traction.  Seat belt and ROPS always but especially on hills.  We just trim the trees high enough to clear the ROPS.  Makes it handy for the tractors and other things too. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Kbeitz

On my Dixon's if you pull back on the leavers it goes into neutral.
There is no going slow. Just fast foward or fast reverse.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

sawguy21

Yikes, it definitely should not do that. :o

ScottAR

I'm thinking that's not normal.  I can go from an inching to full speed and back again basicly on demand.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

pineywoods

Maybe K has one of the early dixons. Some of them were mechanical drive, not hydraulic. On my ferris, putting both levers in the neutral position effective locks both drive wheels, to the point the wheels will slide if you try hard enough to move the mower.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Kbeitz

Quote from: sawguy21 on May 05, 2016, 10:19:36 PM
Yikes, it definitely should not do that. :o

It's normal. It's a total different tranny than most zero turns. This is what my tranny looks like,.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Al_Smith

That thing looks like a double clutch type thing .Kind of like a bull dozer in some respects.

As I recall some of the early skid loaders used a similar set up with steering clutches instead of hydramotor drives .Fact at one time I had a tracked trencher that used a similar arrangement .You could turn it on a dime and get 9 cents change back .

gspren

I have a 20+ year old ExMark walk behind that has each rear wheel individually belt driven and to steer with the hand controls when you squeeze either side before it applies the brake it first free wheels, on level ground or going uphill squeeze left you go left, going downhill if you don't squeeze fast enough when you squeeze left you go right. There is a central gear box with 4 speeds forward, reverse and neutral. Old and crude but still mows good.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

sawguy21

I have seen that style of Dixon but never operated one. I am familiar with the belt drive Exmark walk behind, put a Velke behind that a skilled operator can cut a lot of grass in a hurry.

Thank You Sponsors!